AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!

southsider2k5

Even if Martinez was using steroids, a ton of hitters were also using them, so you'd have to say it was close to a level playing field...even in that context.

Any time a pitcher breaks down due to injuries, there will be questions...then again, we've had more elbow injuries than at any point in the history of the game and most of these TJ's are not being connected to steroid usage/abuse to my knowledge.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 12:07 AM)
Pedro also did it with 217 innings. I love Chris Sale, don't get me wrong. But at 180-185 innings (if he gets there), it becomes a little asterisk-worthy.

Kershaw has pitched the same amount of games and only 14 innings more than Sale, should he have an asterix too when he wins his CY Young.

If Sale continues like this he could be the 1st pitcher to have an ERA below .200 and more than 200 strikeouts since Pedro in 2000 and it would be a crime if he did not win the CY Young.

QUOTE (glangon @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 04:00 AM)

Kershaw has pitched the same amount of games and only 14 innings more than Sale, should he have an asterix too when he wins his CY Young.

If Sale continues like this he could be the 1st pitcher to have an ERA below .200 and more than 200 strikeouts since Pedro in 2000 and it would be a crime if he did not win the CY Young.

It really wouldn't be. As much as I want Sale to win it, Hernandez's numbers are just as good and he will end up with 50+ more innings pitched. Unless he gets rocked his last couple starts, he is going to rightfully win it.

Kershaw doesn't have Felix Hernandez in his league. That's the biggest difference.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)
Even if Martinez was using steroids, a ton of hitters were also using them, so you'd have to say it was close to a level playing field...even in that context.

Any time a pitcher breaks down due to injuries, there will be questions...then again, we've had more elbow injuries than at any point in the history of the game and most of these TJ's are not being connected to steroid usage/abuse to my knowledge.

On a hypothetical basis, the PEDs prevent injuries to pitchers, especially TJ. The UCL gets stretched or sprained when the flexor muscles no longer give enough support. The PEDs will allow this group of muscles a longer period of support thus decreasing the opportunity for injury. Pitchers used the PEDs not so much for increased power but for increased endurance and shorter recovery time.

Maybe this is aprt of the reason for the increase in TJ surgeries? I doubt it is a significant factor as I still think it's more the over throwing. However it's something to consider.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
On a hypothetical basis, the PEDs prevent injuries to pitchers, especially TJ. The UCL gets stretched or sprained when the flexor muscles no longer give enough support. The PEDs will allow this group of muscles a longer period of support thus decreasing the opportunity for injury. Pitchers used the PEDs not so much for increased power but for increased endurance and shorter recovery time.

Maybe this is aprt of the reason for the increase in TJ surgeries? I doubt it is a significant factor as I still think it's more the over throwing. However it's something to consider.

I read an article back in the steroid era that was about pitchers using steroids, and that is exactly what they said they took them for. Increased endurance and a shorter recovery time. In fact the insiders said percentage-wise, there were just as many pitchers juicing as hitters, if not more, but except for Roger Clemens and maybe a couple of others, there was nowhere near the backlash.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)

That is a really interested thing I had never thought of before. Thanks!

Sale start last night earned him 0.5 WAR. That's a gigantic sum for 1 start, and he is now just 0.3 behind Felix, and 0.7 behind Kluber with 6 and 7 less starts respectively. If those guys have a real stinker either of their last 2 starts and Sale does well in his last two, it will be hard to ignore a guy who has accrued similar amount of WAR in that many less starts. I mean, we are all choosing to not care about Kershaw having the same amount of starts as Sale in the NL.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
Sale start last night earned him 0.5 WAR. That's a gigantic sum for 1 start, and he is now just 0.3 behind Felix, and 0.7 behind Kluber with 6 and 7 less starts respectively. If those guys have a real stinker either of their last 2 starts and Sale does well in his last two, it will be hard to ignore a guy who has accrued similar amount of WAR in that many less starts. I mean, we are all choosing to not care about Kershaw having the same amount of starts as Sale in the NL.

That's because Kershaw has been so far beyond the competition. There's no other possible choice than him. In the AL, there are enough guys comparable to Sale that the missed time hurts. Pitching the entire season is an important consideration for Cy voters, and it should be.

I agree that his rate numbers are the best right now.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
That's because Kershaw has been so far beyond the competition. There's no other possible choice than him. In the AL, there are enough guys comparable to Sale that the missed time hurts. Pitching the entire season is an important consideration for Cy voters, and it should be.

I agree that his rate numbers are the best right now.

Yup. This is the key. Had Sale not missed time and had the same ERA, WHIP, K/9, K:BB, etc numbers, he would probably win. With Felix being so close to him, the missed time is going to cost Sale the Cy Young. In the NL, there really is no other option. Kershaw missed significant time, but is leading in most of the rate categories and is even leading in wins (which voters do still look at).

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)

Too bad the Cy Young voters usually don't look at WAR.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)

If Sale was pitching for a contender, he'd have a better shot. But right now, not being on a contender, with other guys pitching near as good while on contenders and having more starts, hard to make as strong of an argument for Sale. Both are insanely awesome.

The kind of crap I do when I'm bored at work on a Friday afternoon:

Chris Sale averages 1.087 K/IP. If he averages 1.35 IP per team game played, which rates out to 218.7 IP per season, he will break the franchise strikeout record in June 2019, or just a couple months after his 30th birthday.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
The kind of crap I do when I'm bored at work on a Friday afternoon:

Chris Sale averages 1.087 K/IP. If he averages 1.35 IP per team game played, which rates out to 218.7 IP per season, he will break the franchise strikeout record in June 2019, or just a couple months after his 30th birthday.

Wow, knock on wood he stays healthy. Some good posts on the Cy Young here. I agree that Chris and Felix are equal enough on rate to where Felix's "extra" 40 or so innings should give him the Cy. Chris has had an excellent year but Felix has done about the same with more innings so in fairness the Cy should go to him.