Adrian Peterson indicted for negligent injury to a child

MurcieOne

There is no way Peterson should be allowed to play this weekend or the rest of the season. Now I have to endure fans making complete asses of themselves again when they give him a standing ovation.

Seriously and this is serious, the man should not play football the rest of this season and I'd suspect that will happen before long. What are the Vikings thinking? Did anybody see the pictures of the poor little kid?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peterson is an admitted child abuser, not a formerly accused rapist, or admitted adulterer. Its different.

More than Peterson's actions, which I believe he now realizes how wrong he was - the NFL's response to this and the ray rice situation sickens me. They should fire goodell for certain. Its been handled beyond poorly.

QUOTE (MAX @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
Kobe admitted what? Was found guilty of what?

Kobe admitted to having sex with a 19 year old girl. The rest is really irrelevant because what we are talking about is the NFL suspending players who are currently being charged with crimes. The equivalent would have been Kobe suspended while the rape case was going on.

(edit)

Im not going to get into whether raping a girl or hitting your kid with a stick is better/worse.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Kobe admitted to having sex with a 19 year old girl. The rest is really irrelevant because what we are talking about is the NFL suspending players who are currently being charged with crimes. The equivalent would have been Kobe suspended while the rape case was going on.

(edit)

Im not going to get into whether raping a girl or hitting your kid with a stick is better/worse.

If he admitted to rape he would have been suspended. If he were on video raping, the same. His sponsors would have terminated their contracts. That's the point, not to compare the actions.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
If he admitted to rape he would have been suspended. That's the point, not to compare the actions.

Not really.

Kobe admitted to having sex with a girl, the district attorney/girl thought it was rape.

AP admitted to disciplining his child, the da/mother may think it is child abuse.

Its entirely the same, AP has never said "Yeah I abused my kid", the same way Kobe never said "yah I raped the girl." But neither deny the action, both argue that there were circumstances that justify the action.

Same thing.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Not really.

Kobe admitted to having sex with a girl, the district attorney/girl thought it was rape.

AP admitted to disciplining his child, the da/mother may think it is child abuse.

Its entirely the same, AP has never said "Yeah I abused my kid", the same way Kobe never said "yah I raped the girl." But neither deny the action, both argue that there were circumstances that justify the action.

Same thing.

Kobe wasn't on video raping a girl. Pictures of the rape were not available to the public. Its not the same. There is much more evidence that is public in these cases, coupled with admission of some guilt.

Edited by MAX

I see the Vikings did the right thing the second time around and won't let him play. Smart move. I can forgive the team (I guess) for foolishly making the wrong decision earlier in the week. The Vikings got it right the second time. He won't be playing again this season.

QUOTE (MAX @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Kobe wasn't on video raping a girl. Pictures of the rape were not available to the public. Its not the same. There is much more evidence that is public in these cases, coupled with admission of some guilt.

No there really isnt. Kobe admitted to having sex with her. AP admitted to hitting the kid. Rice admitted to hitting his wife.

Each situation they argue that their are circumstances that either mitigate or justify the actions.

/shrugs

At least call a spade a spade.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
No there really isnt. Kobe admitted to having sex with her. AP admitted to hitting the kid. Rice admitted to hitting his wife.

Each situation they argue that their are circumstances that either mitigate or justify the actions.

/shrugs

At least call a spade a spade.

Two are crimes, one isn't.

That's the end of the argument for me.

lol

Kobe did not commit a crime? He likely raped a girl and paid her a significant figure to go away.

People are acting like Ray Rice was convicted, he wasnt. In fact unlike Kobe, they never even attempted to go to trial.

/shrugs

At least get the facts straight before you act like Rice was actually convicted of any crime.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
lol

Kobe did not commit a crime? He likely raped a girl and paid her a significant figure to go away.

People are acting like Ray Rice was convicted, he wasnt. In fact unlike Kobe, they never even attempted to go to trial.

/shrugs

At least get the facts straight before you act like Rice was actually convicted of any crime.

He entered a plea deal with that counseling though, didn't he?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
He entered a plea deal with that counseling though, didn't he?

If he goes through counseling its completely dropped besides for the arrest record. So its a deal, with the potential for all charges to be dropped.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-footba...avoid-jail-time

If Rice successfully completes the intervention program -- it will take at least a year -- the third-degree aggravated assault charge would be dismissed. And while the arrest would remain on his record, there would be no conviction.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
Yea usually I'm very pro spanking, but at 4 years old?! That is just awful and this comming from someone who was spanked alot. My parents found anything they could find to spank me when I was bad at the time. :lol: I was older than 4 freaking years old though.

So, I see/have heard this pro-spanking POV several times in the last few days (Wilbon, Barkley, Ditka). Each time the person did not condone Peterson's act, but they said that spanking was common when they were growing up as a form of discipline. I understand that they look at themselves now and see that they turned out ok, so there must be value in that form of discipline. I wonder, though, why they don't see the inconsistency. If spanking is an effective form of discipline, why does the person doling out the discipline have to do it more than once. Shouldn't one spanking be an effective deterrent to future bad behavior?

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)
So, I see/have heard this pro-spanking POV several times in the last few days (Wilbon, Barkley, Ditka). Each time the person did not condone Peterson's act, but they said that spanking was common when they were growing up as a form of discipline. I understand that they look at themselves now and see that they turned out ok, so there must be value in that form of discipline. I wonder, though, why they don't see the inconsistency. If spanking is an effective form of discipline, why does the person doling out the discipline have to do it more than once. Shouldn't one spanking be an effective deterrent to future bad behavior?

The whole "I was hit or spanked as a child and I turned out fine" crowd just needs to go away. I'm sure as kids they also didn't sit in safe infant car seats, but they turned out fine, why should kids use them now?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 07:50 AM)
If you need a weapon to discipline your children, it means you are a failure as a parent.

Well, I get what you are saying, but some children are just beyond parenting. There are some human beings that are just flat-out evil for no particular reason whatsoever.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
Well, I get what you are saying, but some children are just beyond parenting. There are some human beings that are just flat-out evil for no particular reason whatsoever.

Odds are pretty good that if you child has gotten to that point, the parenting is the main reason. Sure there are things like mental illness as qualifiers, but for a normal and healthy child, no, it is probably your fault as a parent.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 06:24 AM)
The whole "I was hit or spanked as a child and I turned out fine" crowd just needs to go away. I'm sure as kids they also didn't sit in safe infant car seats, but they turned out fine, why should kids use them now?

I despise these sorts of responses. Nothing against you personally, LH, but this is not an acceptable argument in this discussion. I agree with what I think you are trying to say, but no, they do not need to just go away. Believe it or not, not everything that is new is better than what is old, and not everything a future generation comes up with is correct while what the previous generation did was incorrect.

It is probably pretty safe to say that utilizing corporal punishment, especially anything greater than "light" corporal punishment, has potentially more harmful psychological effects than helpful lessons learned. However, it seems to me with that there seems to come a trade-off in terms of a lack of discipline and respect taught to children.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Odds are pretty good that if you child has gotten to that point, the parent is the main reason. Sure there are things like mental illness as qualifiers, but for a normal and healthy child, no, it is probably your fault as a parent.

I think we basically agree in principle...although I'm not sure how many "normal and healthy" children there are these days.