Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
It doesn't appear to be a ptbnl. We just don't have a name yet.

Right. If it's a PTBNL, then no, it won't be someone on the 40-man. I recall that there are stipulations that sometimes require you withhold the identity of prospects until after a certain date too. When the Sox traded Garcia to Philadelphia, we all knew it was Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez, but Gio couldn't be announced for some time. I recall the press conference announcing the trade was rather humorous because they kept trying to get Williams to talk about Gio and he would start doing so and would catch himself and there was a quote, something to the extent of "you guys are trying to get me in trouble, aren't you?"

Anyways, yeah, I was thinking it'd be someone on the 40-man. If it's not, then yes, the 40-man is full.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
Right. If it's a PTBNL, then no, it won't be someone on the 40-man. I recall that there are stipulations that sometimes require you withhold the identity of prospects until after a certain date too. When the Sox traded Garcia to Philadelphia, we all knew it was Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez, but Gio couldn't be announced for some time. I recall the press conference announcing the trade was rather humorous because they kept trying to get Williams to talk about Gio and he would start doing so and would catch himself and there was a quote, something to the extent of "you guys are trying to get me in trouble, aren't you?"

Anyways, yeah, I was thinking it'd be someone on the 40-man. If it's not, then yes, the 40-man is full.

IIRC Gio was an actual PTBNL. This is more vague but I think Gio may have been on the 40 man to protect him from the rule 5 draft that year - he was a high school draftee in AA at the time right? So he'd have been in the system for several years? And so the Phillies couldn't take him until they cleared a 40 man spot if that memory is accurate.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
I'm amazed in this day and age the 3rd player hasn't been leaked yet. Sox and A's front offices are sealed tight.

The bolded pretty well disagrees with everything else we've seen for the last 2 weeks. I'm half stunned this deal happened because we heard so much about it in advance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
The bolded pretty well disagrees with everything else we've seen for the last 2 weeks. I'm half stunned this deal happened because we heard so much about it in advance.

I feel the exact same way. I really did believe the A's were using the White Sox as leverage, that was just how open the negotiations seemed. I know Hahn hasn't been as shut in as Williams, but that's still crazy.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
I'm amazed in this day and age the 3rd player hasn't been leaked yet. Sox and A's front offices are sealed tight.

I'm trying to check some back channels, sometimes we get wind of minor stuff before it blows up, but I haven't seen anything yet.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)

Exactly. It is pretty bizarre no one can say who the 3rd guy is. Just tell us already!!!

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
Cooper was on the SCORE and he was pretty amped up. He got word at 3 AM.

He's always been a fan of Samardzija. I think he was quoted as saying his stuff "always moves." He is going to enjoy working with him me thinks.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
alright, so we dont need Sale anymore. Lets trade him to, hmmm who wants him, Boston maybe?

/dan_lifschatz

I was following "Samardzija" tweets last night and I did catch one from a Red Sox fan who was dissapointed that we'd be hanging onto Sale after all. Tough day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
Those kind of numbers make sense to me. It's the people who say "oh just fix the bullpen and we're a .500 team or better" who I'm disagreeing with.

I think the point was that both moves yesterday make them a .500 team. But I would take the stance that improving the bullpen does make them a .500 team. The As I said before the taking an average bullpen and trying to improve to make a difference may be difficult. However, taking the awful thing the Sox had last year and getting an 8 game improvement is feasible.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
Eh, still don't like it and fully expect the team to disappoint, but I'm a lot less annoyed with actually trying to win than throwing in the towel like we did last offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
Are you kidding? We signed an extra DH and committed to carrying Leury Garcia on the roster before the winter meetings.

I canceled my Extra Innings subscription that day because it was clear the Sox didn't care about winning one iota last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
I agree the white sox didn't give up a lot, but that doesn't mean I like the concept of going all in on 2015. I can satisfy myself with the fact that such an "all in" kind of move means that in the event it fails, which I still think is likely, I shouldn't have to put up with another Ventura coaching embarrassment season.

Seems a bit inconsistent. When they didn't go all in prior to 2014 because, as everyone knew, it was a rebuilding/retooling year, you say they threw in the towel and didn't care about winning. When they do go all in this year and show they do in fact care about winning, you don't like that concept.

What is it you want the Sox to do, other than fire Ventura.

I will miss Semien a lot, I really think he is starting 2B material. I seem to be in the minority but that's a steep price for a rental. Bassitt is no great loss, and presumably the third guy won't be either.

If we can extend Samardzjia, great. If not, and I've only seen a few people mention it in this (epic, hilarious, exciting) thread, cutting him loose with the QO attached will ease the pain a little. That comp pick is probably more valuable than Bassitt + #thirdguy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
Why would the 2 teams do that unless it was a guy who needed a 40 man spot? Waiting until late May to complete the deal & seeing how guys do early in the year?

I wonder if it's dependent on a long term deal. It's x player if he signs and y player if he doesn't. They may be waiting for Lester to set the market. I can't remember a trade where 2 out of three names were released. It really doesn't make sense.