40 Man Roster

GGajewski18

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
He got drafted in 2012, so he probably has one more year on that. Obviously, he has a decent shot of being on the 40-man before next November.

Just from the standpoint that he'll be competing for the starting 2B job.

I didn't realize that Montas was Rule 5 Eligible. He's 21 and rule 5 eligible? I guess that's a downside to the international guys. You sign them at 16 and 5 years starting from 16 isn't that much time so they have to develop quickly.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have speculated Rondon rushing up at short next year if they trade Alexei.

Well he's not on the 40 man and I believe he's Rule 5 eligible. Isn't it possible he's better than L Garcia (and his .399 OPS) right now? Or couldn't a team just take him and stash him and just use him sparingly like the Sox did with Neito last year?

Sox have several bullpen-flyer types (Garcia, Cleto, Snodgress) on the 40 man and several low-upside (Danks, Rienzo, Carroll) types and L Garcia. IMO, a stud fielding young low-minors SS is far more valuable than ceiling 5th starters and utility infielders.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
People have speculated Rondon rushing up at short next year if they trade Alexei.

Well he's not on the 40 man and I believe he's Rule 5 eligible. Isn't it possible he's better than L Garcia (and his .399 OPS) right now? Or couldn't a team just take him and stash him and just use him sparingly like the Sox did with Neito last year?

Sox have several bullpen-flyer types (Garcia, Cleto, Snodgress) on the 40 man and several low-upside (Danks, Rienzo, Carroll) types and L Garcia. IMO, a stud fielding young low-minors SS is far more valuable than ceiling 5th starters and utility infielders.

doesn't have to do with his time???

pretty much like micah??

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)
doesn't have to do with his time???

pretty much like micah??

This article suggests he can be drafted. I find it hard to understand how he's not protected, given some of the mediocrities (and worse) on the 40 man. L Garcia defines credulity if Rondon isn't protected. (and I realize that Ventura apparently liked L Garcia despite his complete inability to hit).

http://www.southsidesox.com/minors/2014/8/...league-baseball

I believe Myles Jaye is eligible as well. some people were high on him a year ago, although he didn't seem to progress much.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 07:23 AM)
This article suggests he can be drafted. I find it hard to understand how he's not protected, given some of the mediocrities (and worse) on the 40 man. L Garcia defines credulity if Rondon isn't protected. (and I realize that Ventura apparently liked L Garcia despite his complete inability to hit).

I believe Myles Jaye is eligible as well. some people were high on him a year ago, although he didn't seem to progress much.

hey, thanks for finding the answer and correcting my mistake.

yeah this is confusing to me as well.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
I think it's early to call Surkamp trash. He's got some pitchability and throws with his left hand. Even if he's just an up and down guy that's worth something.

Absolutely too early.

Lefties only batted .172 against him last year and after getting called up the 2nd time in September he had a 1.88 ERA (2 runs in 10 innings).

With Duke in here now, who has the ability to get out righties and lefties, Surkamp can be used strictly as a loogy.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)
Absolutely too early.

Lefties only batted .172 against him last year and after getting called up the 2nd time in September he had a 1.88 ERA (2 runs in 10 innings).

With Duke in here now, who has the ability to get out righties and lefties, Surkamp can be used strictly as a loogy.

I totally agree and 1 thing to remember, how old is he???

he has a lot more developmental time ahead.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:35 AM)
I totally agree and 1 thing to remember, how old is he???

he has a lot more developmental time ahead.

Well actually he's a little on the older side for a guy who's getting his first extended stretch in the bigs (27). However this has been his first time pitching out of the pen in his career and we all know that can be a game changer so to speak.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 01:23 AM)

Rondon started his pro career in 2011, so he cannot be drafted this year. The article was wrong.

His first season of pro ball (2011) was in Dominica. Not sure if that year even counts.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)
I read where the Sox acquired Joe Savery:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/mino...s-triunfel.html

Why haven't I seen anything about it, on this board?

Not a terribly big deal, the guy hasn't really stayed in the majors too much. If you want to start a thread, Feel free

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 12:23 AM)

Leury and Rondon both were in High A as 20 year olds and put up prett similar offensive numbers. If you don't like Leury, you most likely won't like Rondon. I don't know exactly when he signed, but I find it hard to believe a team would be willing to stash him away on their major league roster for a year just to see if he may develop.

There haven't been many rule 5 guys who became better than average since they changed the rules.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Leury and Rondon both were in High A as 20 year olds and put up prett similar offensive numbers. If you don't like Leury, you most likely won't like Rondon. I don't know exactly when he signed, but I find it hard to believe a team would be willing to stash him away on their major league roster for a year just to see if he may develop.

There haven't been many rule 5 guys who became better than average since they changed the rules.

I don't. Rondon can field the position right now.

To suggest that Rondon won't develop because Leury didn't develop is ridiculous.

Oldsox says that the article is wrong, so it's probably moot anyway.

Edited by GreenSox

Leury is just frustrating to me. Slap hitting and strikeouts aside I really like his game as far as his defense, base running speed, base stealing and switch hitting. If he could slap his way to .250 I would be happy to play him at SS 150 games a year. He would certainly raise some hell at the top of the order with his speed which puts Eaton second in the order where he would fit well. Or at least hit right handers and platoon him with either Semien or Saladino.

I know, I'm dreaming again aren't I...

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
Leury is just frustrating to me. Slap hitting and strikeouts aside I really like his game as far as his defense, base running speed, base stealing and switch hitting. If he could slap his way to .250 I would be happy to play him at SS 150 games a year. He would certainly raise some hell at the top of the order with his speed which puts Eaton second in the order where he would fit well. Or at least hit right handers and platoon him with either Semien or Saladino.

I know, I'm dreaming again aren't I...

I'm not that frustrated with Leury, honestly. If you take almost any guy who belongs in AA and put them in the big leagues because he's the only guy in your org who can back up 3+ positions and you're carrying an extra DH on your bench, they're all pretty likely to struggle.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
I'm not that frustrated with Leury, honestly. If you take almost any guy who belongs in AA and put them in the big leagues because he's the only guy in your org who can back up 3+ positions and you're carrying an extra DH on your bench, they're all pretty likely to struggle.

This is true. I understand about Leury struggling, I really do, its the .166 BA that frustrates me. I can on hope he would do better with consistent playing time.

If Alexei is dealt, I would love to see Leury earn the starting SS job in ST. I absolutely love his speed and defense.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
This is true. I understand about Leury struggling, I really do, its the .166 BA that frustrates me. I can on hope he would do better with consistent playing time.

If Alexei is dealt, I would love to see Leury earn the starting SS job in ST. I absolutely love his speed and defense.

Leury IMO should have an entire year at AAA. He had 1/2 a year there at age 22 and didn't really do well enough to earn the callup other than his ability to play multiple positions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Leury IMO should have an entire year at AAA. He had 1/2 a year there at age 22 and didn't really do well enough to earn the callup other than his ability to play multiple positions.

Looking at Garcia's history in the minors and his lack of hitting in the majors, I agree he would be better off playing in Charlotte next season.

Looks like it will be a four player race in ST between Semien, Johnson, Sanchez and Saladino for 2B/SS/ bench with the last guy going to Charlotte. Unless one of them is traded. This of course is based on if Alexei is traded, which it really looks like could happen.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Garcia should not be on the MLB roster if we want to compete. Simple as that. He would be a fine September call up for pinch running and such but that is about it.

I really wish they would have kept Garcia in the minors last year to get consistent at bats. I remember reading somewhere that the sox were surprised his bat skill were so down. If the sox are competing this year then they shouldnt have any of the group of sanchez, garcia, johnson, semien, or saladino being bench players. would prefer who ever wins the second base job and if they trade alexei the ss position being only ones on the roster. rest being in the minors getting at bats and bring in veterans for the bench spots.

It appears that the front office has addressed this need, and that Juan Diaz has now been added to the mix.

Where would you think that he ranks as the most likely candidate to play SS, this season, if Alexei is traded?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
It appears that the front office has addressed this need, and that Juan Diaz has now been added to the mix.

Where would you think that he ranks as the most likely candidate to play SS, this season, if Alexei is traded?

He doesn't. He was signed for Charlotte, likely, though, because the middle infield herd will be thinned.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)

Zero chance. Last behind (in no particular order): Semien, Sanchez, Saladino, Garcia and other (stop gap filler from free agency). Or Diaz just replaces any other backup minor league infielders we may have lost to minor league free agency