Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
I've saying Melky since the VMart signing calling him VMart -lite . Guy could get 5/$65-70M considering his age so be ready to pony that up. 3 would be best ,4 maybe ,5 and we're out of it.

That sums it up right there. Depending on the annual salary I'd go as high as four years and even then I'd prefer the fourth was an option year. I don't see the Sox going five years on a thirty year old.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In another thread, i've suggested trying to acquire Ethier, for nothing more than picking up his salary. Putting aside the feasibility of such

a scenario, whom would you rather have; Melky Cabrera on a 4 year deal, at the numbers you guys have suggested, or Ethier for 3 years, and $56 Million, taking into account that Cabrera would cost a draft pick.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
In another thread, i've suggested trying to acquire Ethier, for nothing more than picking up his salary. Putting aside the feasibility of such

a scenario, whom would you rather have; Melky Cabrera on a 4 year deal, at the numbers you guys have suggested, or Ethier for 3 years, and $56 Million, taking into account that Cabrera would cost a draft pick.

Neither, but with a gun to my head I'd choose Cabrera's offensive upside.

Ethier's just not worth that money as a platoon player whose best defensive days are behind him...and who might have already started a downward career spiral.

Finally, taking veteran players from the NL always scares me....at least Melky knows the AL and has excelled in one of the toughest divisions in baseball.

Edited by caulfield12

If you can work something about with the Dodgers swapping Danks and Ethier, I'd prefer both Ethier and Cabrera.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
Would rather take Kemp or Ethier.

I would rather take Gerardo Parra at this point as a one year solution and then wait to see what we can get when the OF market is a little deeper next off-season. I think he will come back nicely next year and is a good buy low candidate as a top tier defender, he gets on base at a good clip, and his power would play up a bit more here than it did in Arizona. It also leaves the team with a lot of payroll flexibility going forward.

If you are taking on Either's contract, you had better have a damned good reason to do so. Honestly I can't see the Dodgers being willing to give any team enough extras to take that on.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
To me, Ethier seems like a LH version of Alex Rios.

And you can argue Rios has more value defensively.

It's scary, but I'd almost rather have Alex at $9-10 million for two years than Ethier. The problem is that Rios only hit 4 homers last year and that's such a significant drop-off in his mid 30's you don't know when he'll go all 2013 Konerko on you.

Same thing with Torii Hunter, who's significantly older.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
If you are taking on Either's contract, you had better have a damned good reason to do so. Honestly I can't see the Dodgers being willing to give any team enough extras to take that on.

Do I understand you correctly, in that you think the Dodgers might be willing to just let some team take Ethier and the contract, without

asking for a player in return, as long as they would assume the entire contract? In fact, you think that would be difficult for the Dodgers to sell any team on that deal.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
Do I understand you correctly, in that you think the Dodgers might be willing to just let some team take Ethier and the contract, without

asking for a player in return, as long as they would assume the entire contract? In fact, you think that would be difficult for the Dodgers to sell any team on that deal.

My point of view is that to get a team to take Either, they are going to have to offer some sort of enticement, whether that be cash, or a top prospect, who knows. The bigger the enticement, the bigger the return to get back to LAD.

NO ONE. Is taking on Either and his contract, without getting something extra in return.

I have always thought that a Danks for (insertLADOFhere) along with a dollar amount to balance out any of the years that Danks doesn't have a deal for, makes the most sense for both teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
My point of view is that to get a team to take Either, they are going to have to offer some sort of enticement, whether that be cash, or a top prospect, who knows. The bigger the enticement, the bigger the return to get back to LAD.

NO ONE. Is taking on Either and his contract, without getting something extra in return.

I have always thought that a Danks for (insertLADOFhere) along with a dollar amount to balance out any of the years that Danks doesn't have a deal for, makes the most sense for both teams.

I think if the Dodgers are balancing out the salaries, the Sox will also have to include a prospect of some type. Not necessarily a world beater, but perhaps a C level prospect, guys with higher ceilings but who currently project as backups or AAAA players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)

If the Dodgers would actually swap Ethier for Danks, and only require the Sox to kick in something toward the difference in salary owed, that would be a very good deal, IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
In an odd way, if the Sox are interested in Cabrera the suspension is actually helpful. If the guy hadn't been busted, he'd be looking at something like a nine figure deal, much like Panda. The amount of teams that are going to hold that against him should serve to keep his price down.

PED cheats: the new Market Inefficiency. I have no problem rooting for a known user because I can guarantee that we're already rooting for unknown users.

But Melky is about as proven a hitter as there is - I largely blame injury for his rough 2013. He is obviously a fit for the Sox and could be the elusive guy to hit second. I wouldn't shy away from a 4-year deal.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
Pick up Melky and trade for one of the Dodgers outfielders and have a rotating DH

I absolutely love the idea of four starting outfielders rotating through the DH. Keep those legs fresh! Hell, I've even opened up to the idea of CarGo if the Rockies look to trade him and the price is right. If I had to choose from the Dodgers outfielders I think Crawford makes the most sense. I somehow doubt they look to trade Kemp and I think the Sox would rather go with Crawford over Ethier ( just a guess). I think Crawford would benefit from hitting in the DH spot and help maintain what speed he still has which the Sox can surely use.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
PED cheats: the new Market Inefficiency. I have no problem rooting for a known user because I can guarantee that we're already rooting for unknown users.

But Melky is about as proven a hitter as there is - I largely blame injury for his rough 2013. He is obviously a fit for the Sox and could be the elusive guy to hit second. I wouldn't shy away from a 4-year deal.

I am with ya. I would have no problem going 4 years with Cabrera. I'm just a bit concerned about the price being driven up by other teams in a bidding war. Cabrera just may end up costing 2 or 3M more per year than expected.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Kemp would be great, but Crawford is a guy who, if you are prepared for him to sit out games at a DRose clip, would be interesting to have on the team. The Dodgers would have to eat a lot of money though. If he could be a regular player, he can still put up numbers, but that doesn't seem too likely.

Health is my concern with him. He and eaton would be fun to watch if they both stayed healthy. Big if though.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Pick up Melky and trade for one of the Dodgers outfielders and have a rotating DH

That's a LOT of money tied up in a handful of extra wins. I can see paying market dollars for ONE good-not-great corner guy, but not two. Not when we still need pitching and a catcher.

1) The White Sox are being or have been attached to about 2/3rd's of the free agents out there, other than Scherzer/Shields/H.Ramirez/R.Martin/Cruz.

2) To our knowledge, not a single contract offer has been made. (We do know the Cubs were 2nd in the Martin sweepstakes and were in the $60-65 million range and considering budging on the additional year. Of course, like the Sox many times, finishing second doesn't get a trophy or banner in the outfield.)

Edited by caulfield12

His bat is clearly an upgrade, at least for two seasons....but his defense isn't very good.

Certainly, that's better than what we saw out of LF in 2013/14, but how much is it actually worth? Are the Sox willing to go to 4 years for a player beginning the downside of his career?

Signing Cabrera might only leave $10 million of new spending on the table, and that's going to have to pay for a DH, a closer and a 3 starter in the rotation.

Not possible without trading Ramirez and/or dumping Danks and going with Semien/Sanchez/L.Garcia at SS.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
1) The White Sox are being or have been attached to about 2/3rd's of the free agents out there, other than Scherzer/Shields/H.Ramirez/R.Martin/Cruz.

2) To our knowledge, not a single contract offer has been made. (We do know the Cubs were 2nd in the Martin sweepstakes and were in the $60-65 million range and considering budging on the additional year. Of course, like the Sox many times, finishing second doesn't get a trophy or banner in the outfield.)

We know they are seeking a left-handed bat and Cabrera hit .310/.355/.462 from the left side last year. He also plays left field which was a black hole defensively with Viciedo out there.