Sox have contacted Max Scherzer

Whisox05

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be great if this were like that made-up situation where everyone was so intimidated by the prettiest girl in school, she said yes to the only one who asked.

Of course that story never happened in the history of high school so...

Obviously, I'd love to have Scherzer on the team.

History says that Boras usually gets what he wants with big free agents, sadly.

However, if it comes down to February, and Scherzers best offer doesn't completely annihilate what it seems like Lester would get (6/145), are you guys in? Would you offer and sign Scherzer to a contract like 6/165? I think he'll still end up with his 200 million, but I think I'd be in at the former price.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
he is not doing anything until Lester signs.

I think at the end of the day one goes to Boston the other New York.

Dodgers are now in for lester so it will be a bidding match vs boston. Ryu has been getting injured the last 2 yrs and with Grienke possible hitting free agency in 2016.

This stuff drives me nuts. Everyone knows darn well that Jerry isn't going to fish out that type of money for 5-6-7-8 years. Somebody mentioned in another thread about KW talking about getting us EXCITED again, and Hahn always talking about being AGGRESSIVE. Well, elite players are fading quick. Don't need or want any "washed up" "out of prime" or "Hope for a bounce back year" additions. Its NOT going to be Scherzer. Geez sometimes ya wonder if reporters just need to get their name on TV just so their superiors will make them look like they are doing something to earn their paychecks. Saying that we contact Scherzer?? Sure here's the conversation....(Ring Ring Ring! Hey Max. I have a free coupon for a breakfast burrito. Wanna Go?? NO? Oh OK!!! CLICK!) THERE ..........a contact was made and someone reported on it. Why reporters bring this stuff up when they KNOW that it has SQUAT of a chance to take place is sooooo beyond me. Until then...we'll here more reports of getting excited, when in fact management will not allow payroll to exceed anything other than to accept 2nd rate has been's in HOPE that things will pan out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
It always makes sense for the White Sox to put in an offer for a guy like this just in case the big offer from the Yankees doesn't appear. We set a salary floor.

Exactly, which I'm fine with. At times I'd like the Sox to be a bit more agressive, but the I think the Scherzer deal is going to be nuts, so this one, I'm fine with them kicking the tires then moving on.

Nice to hear they're exploring all options. Sox have payroll room, agents know it, they'll push the Sox out there to the press until the space is eaten up, only makes sense.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Exactly, which I'm fine with. At times I'd like the Sox to be a bit more agressive, but the I think the Scherzer deal is going to be nuts, so this one, I'm fine with them kicking the tires then moving on.

Nice to hear they're exploring all options. Sox have payroll room, agents know it, they'll push the Sox out there to the press until the space is eaten up, only makes sense.

If we got Scherzer for less than the Tigers offered last year I'm pretty sure I wouldn't complain.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
I'm telling you, we have more payroll and adding a REALLY good RHP to the rotation immediately makes us contenders IMO.

I for one disagree with that - I think it doesn't make us contenders unless we get a lot of improvement from guys like Garcia, Semien, and the bullpen crew.

But then again, you could be saying that because you think all those things are likely to happen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
Would be great if this were like that made-up situation where everyone was so intimidated by the prettiest girl in school, she said yes to the only one who asked.

Of course that story never happened in the history of high school so...

my sister is a bartender and she has some pretty hot friends who work with her, there's this one girl she works with, gorgeous, she gets asked out by maybe one guy a month (according to my sister), same scenario as what you were talking about

signing scherzer isn't a flop if he doesn't come with a world series appearance, just a playoff appearance alone would keep the seats filled for the following season

casual fans like the big shiny names, and most fans of any team are casual fans

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
signing scherzer isn't a flop if he doesn't come with a world series appearance, just a playoff appearance alone would keep the seats filled for the following season

casual fans like the big shiny names, and most fans of any team are casual fans

It's true. Laroche, while a good player, isn't going to attract extra fans to the park.

Scherzer or Lester would. Shields, to a much lesser degree, might.

You have to spend money to make money, right?

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
It's true. Laroche, while a good player, isn't going to attract extra fans to the park.

Scherzer or Lester would. Shields, to a much lesser degree, might.

You have to spend money to make money, right?

i totally agree, good point.

Getting Scherzer may kill the whole salary budget for the next several

yrs.

getting Lester at 23-25 is a decent price. something that will not handcuff

the sox salary budget.

Shield no way esp if the salary is > than 20 mil per.

i would really focus on positional players. someone like Everth Cabrera

or Emilio Bonifacio each maybe playing 2b or ss with Alexei moving to

2b or 3b. either way. exciting players.

then in the outfield, could be one who is on the team rookies, or another

player to be address via trade of what ever Hahn has up his sleeves.

then pitching with Carlos Villanueva or Edinson Volquez or someone

from the waiver list. just until Rodon is ready.

a team of good pieces, in some areas, great additions. but the holes are

filled, and have exciting players playing.

If everyone on here is stingy about giving huge contracts to pitchers its gonna be interesting when Sale is towards the end of his deal wanting ace money. Already took his security contract. With the sox not wanting to invest a lot of money on pitching, no way Sale is here in the long run. (Not advocating to trade Sale now or anything but there might be a time to actually consider it)

Edit: ace money in like 5 years will be around 30 mill easily. Even if he took lesser you're still playing more than 20 mill a year

Edited by soxfan2014

Scherzer would be a game changer for the Sox. Granted he would consume at least $25MM of the payroll each year, but that would give the Sox a rotation of Sale, Scherzer, Quintana, Rodon, and Danks for a few years. That's insane...aside from Danks.

I also agree, though, that if Scherzer were the only other major addition, the Sox would need a big boost from Garcia, Viciedo, and Semien...and the bullpen is still questionable at best.

I'd love to see Scherzer on the south side, but unless the Sox are willing to add $40MM or so from where they are right now ($25 for Scherzer and another $15 for other holes), I'm not sure he would be enough.