2014 Winter Meetings

hi8is

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
No reason at all to give Tank away. People want to trade him for nothing; and yet other want the Sox to trade for player with numbers not much better than his (and substantially worse than his 2012, 2013 seasons).

I have no urge to have Viciedo on this roster and think he's overpaid by about $3.5 million. If an opposing GM gives up something of value for him I will consider that a stupid move by that GM.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
It would be great if Viciedo goes this week just to get it off the checklist, but he's gotta go before full squad reports in late February. It's over for him here. And the return will be relatively low, and guess what? Who cares!

While everything you said is true, moving him now clears up some payroll that can be used to improve the team while impact talent is still available. That won't be the case in late January.

Plus I want to see Balta's reaction when he sees another GM actually trended for Viciedo.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
It would be great if Viciedo goes this week just to get it off the checklist, but he's gotta go before full squad reports in late February. It's over for him here. And the return will be relatively low, and guess what? Who cares!

Absolutely. Does chunky Tank really look like some guy who's going to challenged for MVPs on some other team? Even if he does he has sucked so bad here that we cannot give him another season in LF. It's just done. I hope KW & RH feel that way as well.

I don't think the Sox would have tendered Tank to give him away from a bag of dog crap...

With that being said, I hope they get a better option in LF or RF and get him the hell out of here. I'm fine with Melky, Aoki and talking myself into Rasmus...

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
One of the reporters on MLB Network called the Sox his "sleeper team" for the meetings. Also brought up Scherzer again.

To give people more context, I assume you are referencing the MLB Hot Stove segment that Greg Amsinger hosted with Sherman, Heyman, and Rosenthal on the panel. Each picked a sleeper team, and Joel Sherman said he thinks the White Sox could be a huge sleeper with all the money they've said they have to spend, and he brought up that he thinks they could be a dark horse in the Scherzer sweepstakes. Rosenthal was nodding all the way and said that even if they don't get Scherzer they are "DEFINITELY" in on right-handed starters right now.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 08:58 PM)
To give people more context, I assume you are referencing the MLB Hot Stove segment that Greg Amsinger hosted with Sherman, Heyman, and Rosenthal on the panel. Each picked a sleeper team, and Joel Sherman said he thinks the White Sox could be a huge sleeper with all the money they've said they have to spend, and he brought up that he thinks they could be a dark horse in the Scherzer sweepstakes. Rosenthal was nodding all the way and said that even if they don't get Scherzer they are "DEFINITELY" in on right-handed starters right now.

There ya go man. I didn't even know the blokes name. Watching a winter meeting hot stove report while entertaining a nine month old baby doesn't leave much time for details... Just poop.

Edit: I haven't felt like this since 2004. Really feel like come March, we're all gonna be really excited. The starting pitcher bar for me is of the Freddy Garcia type. Really thinking we're going after some HIGH impact players.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 11:11 PM)
There ya go man. I didn't even know the blokes name. Watching a winter meeting hot stove report while entertaining a nine month old baby doesn't leave much time for details... Just poop.

Edit: I haven't felt like this since 2004. Really feel like come March, we're all gonna be really excited. The starting pitcher bar for me is of the Freddy Garcia type. Really thinking we're going after some HIGH impact players.

I'm hoping for Brandon McCarthy and a trade of an OF.

Sale-Quintana-McCarthy-Rodon-Noesi/Bassitt could be a really quality rotation. That's a very solid 1-3, Noesi and Bassitt battle in the #4 and #5 spots until June when Rodon comes up, winner takes the #4 spot, loser takes long man job. I could definitely live with that if Hahn can get us an impact OF bat.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
I'm hoping for Brandon McCarthy and a trade of an OF.

Sale-Quintana-McCarthy-Rodon-Noesi/Bassitt could be a really quality rotation. That's a very solid 1-3, Noesi and Bassitt battle in the #4 and #5 spots until June when Rodon comes up, winner takes the #4 spot, loser takes long man job. I could definitely live with that if Hahn can get us an impact OF bat.

What a let down this would be.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:07 AM)
The Cubs are about to sign Jason Hammel and now each Cub fan on Twitter thinks Jon Lester is a lock for their rotation... The winter meetings have officially started.

So they essentially got Billy McKinney and Dan Straily for free. I wonder who the Cubs trade Hammel to in 7 months.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:18 AM)
That A's trade last year by Theo is one of the better ones in a long time.

It was a good trade, sure, but Addison Russell hasn't even made the majors yet, and the A's still haven't traded Samardzija yet. Looks good on paper so far, but the Cubs haven't reaped any benefits yet, and the A's could re-coup some of that lost talent back.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:37 AM)

Ugh. I know our bullpen sucked last year, but I hate giving big money to relievers, especially on anything over 2 years. Robertson is a fantastic pitcher, and has been for quite a few years, so I wouldn't worry about him busting like I would with Duke, but Duke is only making $5M a season, which isn't a crippling amount. I would hate to see us pay a reliever $12M+ a year. That's insane to me.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)
Ugh. I know our bullpen sucked last year, but I hate giving big money to relievers, especially on anything over 2 years. Robertson is a fantastic pitcher, and has been for quite a few years, so I wouldn't worry about him busting like I would with Duke, but Duke is only making $5M a season, which isn't a crippling amount. I would hate to see us pay a reliever $12M+ a year. That's insane to me.

I agree

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)

If the sox are true on competing then they need a good closer. Hahn had said something about going without a set closer by committee but I don't think the sox have enough dominant pitchers to do that so signing a set one is might be the only way.