2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
If Kris Bryant was a White Sox prospect, I think there would be a lot of posts here mentioing a clearing some space in the summer of 2035 for his HOF induction. The guy is a great prospect.

I was watching Baseball Tonight last night. Surprisingly, they have a lot of people who think the White Sox will win the Central. Pedro Gomez was talking to a scout that pegged Bryant the second coming of Mike Schmidt.

Chances are, he is going to be a monster.

And I mentioned this in another thread. Schilling was on and said there is no way Sale will pitch April 12th. Then Gomez who reported the White Sox were targeting that day said they do plan to be careful and Cooper said it could be late April before he returns, which lined up perfectly with what Schilling said. Schilling may be an idiot, but he does know how long it takes pitchers to be ready.

if he was a sox prospect, the press would not give him the time of day. ;)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
If Kris Bryant was a White Sox prospect, I think there would be a lot of posts here mentioing a clearing some space in the summer of 2035 for his HOF induction. The guy is a great prospect.

I was watching Baseball Tonight last night. Surprisingly, they have a lot of people who think the White Sox will win the Central. Pedro Gomez was talking to a scout that pegged Bryant the second coming of Mike Schmidt.

And I mentioned this in another thread. Schilling was on and said there is no way Sale will pitch April 12th. Then Gomez who reported the White Sox were targeting that day said they do plan to be careful and Cooper said it could be late April before he returns, which lined up perfectly with what Schilling said. Schilling may be an idiot, but he does know how long it takes pitchers to be ready.

There are already posts here saying the exact same thing, I don't think anybody has doubted how good of a prospect he is.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)

Can't disagree, chances are, but will just remind all that we're looking at ST performance here, and a lot of straight fastballs from pitchers getting their "work " in.

He's been incredibly impressive at all levels, but the K rate has been borderline, and that's a giant bugaboo for players making a leap to the better-than-ever pitching of MLB. And, before too long, he probably won't be the biggest, tallest, 3B in the history of the game, he'll be playing in the OF, who knows how well?

1000+ OPS for a 22 year old in the PCL is awesome, but it's not Haley's Comet.

I think he'll be great. He may only be good.

It's not like we haven't seen a hype machine spin out of control a bit in the past, and set an impossible expectation.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
Can't disagree, chances are, but will just remind all that we're looking at ST performance here, and a lot of straight fastballs from pitchers getting their "work " in.

He's been incredibly impressive at all levels, but the K rate has been borderline, and that's a giant bugaboo for players making a leap to the better-than-ever pitching of MLB. And, before too long, he probably won't be the biggest, tallest, 3B in the history of the game, he'll be playing in the OF, who knows how well?

1000+ OPS for a 22 year old in the PCL is awesome, but it's not Haley's Comet.

I think he'll be great. He may only be good.

It's not like we haven't seen a hype machine spin out of control a bit in the past, and set an impossible expectation.

As a 22 year old in AA .355/.458/1.160

As a 22 year old in AAA .295/.418/1.036

Spring training this year .435/.500/1.804

We would be going nuts if Kris Bryant did this in a Birmingham and Charlotte and Camelback Ranch.

Frank Thomas as a 22 year old in AA .323/.487/1.068

And when you are playing half the time in Iowa the PCL numbers aren't as exhaggerated. Bryant does strikeout too much, but he gets on base. One reason why he is probably a tick or 2 below Frank as a hitter. There is nothing to suggest he is going to be anything but great unfortunately.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
As a 22 year old in AA .355/.458/1.160

As a 22 year old in AAA .295/.418/1.036

Spring training this year .435/.500/1.804

We would be going nuts if Kris Bryant did this in a Birmingham and Charlotte and Camelback Ranch.

Frank Thomas as a 22 year old in AA .323/.487/1.068

And when you are playing half the time in Iowa the PCL numbers aren't as exhaggerated. Bryant does strikeout too much, but he gets on base. One reason why he is probably a tick or 2 below Frank as a hitter. There is nothing to suggest he is going to be anything but great unfortunately.

Yep, he should be outstanding, but the tiny sample size and not-truly-competitive ST numbers aren't really a part of it for me.

I don't think he'll be at 3B for too long, and he's not Schmidt defensively, even if he unexpectedly sticks.

Could be every bit of him offensively, or even Jimmy Foxx-good. But maybe not. The hype machine says yes, but the hype machine always says yes.

And, ya know, just few years ago, Anthony Rizzo was actually better than Bryant in a similar Iowa stint. They're completely different players, and Rizzo is very good. But, probably not great.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)
Yep, he should be outstanding, but the tiny sample size and not-truly-competitive ST numbers aren't really a part of it for me.

I don't think he'll be at 3B for too long, and he's not Schmidt defensively, even if he unexpectedly sticks.

Could be every bit of him offensively, or even Jimmy Foxx-good. But maybe not. The hype machine says yes, but the hype machine always says yes.

And, ya know, just few years ago, Anthony Rizzo was actually better than Bryant in a similar Iowa stint. They're completely different players, and Rizzo is very good. But, probably not great.

Anthony Rizzo is pretty good. Put up a 5.6 WAR last year as a 24 year old.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
Anthony Rizzo is pretty good. Put up a 5.6 WAR last year as a 24 year old.

Yep he is. A good chunk of his WAR comes from his outstanding defense at 1B. I don't think KB will be a plus defender anywhere, but time will tell.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
Yep he is. A good chunk of his WAR comes from his outstanding defense at 1B. I don't think KB will be a plus defender anywhere, but time will tell.

His OPS was over .900. The only players higher were Victor, Abreu, McCutchen,Stanton,Trout and Joey Bats.

The Cubs are going to have a really good offense. It's whether they get the pitching is the question IMO.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
His OPS was over .900. The only players higher were Victor, Abreu, McCutchen,Stanton,Trout and Joey Bats.

Rizzo has a .794 career OPS over parts of 4 seasons, and has struggled mightily at the dish, at times. Last year, he put it all together and had an outstanding season, mainly on the vast improvement he showed vs. LHP. He's a terrific player. But that was just one season.

How many times do I have to say that I think Bryant will be great? I'm just saying there's a reasonable chance he'll be something less. Fleas exist.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Rizzo has a .794 career OPS over parts of 4 seasons, and has struggled mightily at the dish, at times. Last year, he put it all together and had an outstanding season, mainly on the vast improvement he showed vs. LHP. He's a terrific player. But that was just one season.

How many times do I have to say that I think Bryant will be great? I'm just saying there's a reasonable chance he'll be something less. Fleas exist.

If I had to guess I think he'll be down a bit in his 2nd season after a great rookie campaign because the strikeouts will catch up with him a bit at some point but he'll adapt after that and the only thing between him and a string of AS games would be injuries.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)

Did This guy watch Schmidt play? Bryant doesn't appear to handle 3rd base nearly as well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
Did This guy watch Schmidt play? Bryant doesn't appear to handle 3rd base nearly as well.

I think he meant with the bat. IIRC, Schmidt was a bit of a butcher when he first came up. I am not saying Bryant will turn into a wizard defensively, most likely not, but 3B does seem like one position where many of the great ones were really bad in the minors or when they first came up.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
How many dead arms have led to T.J. surgery??

not a correlation, if it is truly just a dead arm. everyone goes through the dead arm period. In ST there is no need to pitch through it. They will do side sessions.