2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
Rizzo is 25 and hasn't reached 3 full MLB seasons, yet we are already pegging him as an every other year hitter? Ok then.

Didn't know that I "pegged" anything - pretty sure I did not. But Rizzo has been inconsistent.

Abreu has been nothing but awesome - in Cuba, and in MLB, despite seeing every pitcher here for the first-ever time (pitcher's advantage), playing a much longer season in terms of games and months, nursing injuries much of the time (undoubtedly playing hurt for some of it), losing a ton of weight to transform himself into a 162 game player for the future, and, oh yeah, defecting and adjusting to a whole new world where he doesn't speak the language.

No comparison, imo, when all is considered.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)
Didn't know that I "pegged" anything - pretty sure I did not. But Rizzo has been inconsistent.

Abreu has been nothing but awesome - in Cuba, and in MLB, despite seeing every pitcher here for the first-ever time (pitcher's advantage), playing a much longer season in terms of games and months, nursing injuries much of the time (undoubtedly playing hurt for some of it), losing a ton of weight to transform himself into a 162 game player for the future, and, oh yeah, defecting and adjusting to a whole new world where he doesn't speak the language.

and you forgot adjusting to the cold freaking chicago weather. i remember

last yr he wasn't wearing a coat or jacket when signing autograph and talking

pictures. i bet he was freezing.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)

He has been "inconsistent" as a 21-23 year old getting his first taste of the majors. That's usually the case if your name isn't Mike Trout.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
He has been "inconsistent" as a 21-23 year old getting his first taste of the majors. That's usually the case if your name isn't Mike Trout.

Well, we'll find out soon enough. He didn't put any less pressure on himself with his comments, and he's the kind of guy that beats himself up when things aren't going well. Kinda reminds me of a left handed Paulie.

Whereas, Abreu reminds me of Miggy.

My girlfriend is from a Cubs family, though she's never been huge into baseball herself.

Her brother has suggested a friendly wager for 2015--his idea was that if the Cubs win the City Series, I have to go to a game at Wrigley in Cubs regalia with him, and vice versa.

I counterproposed something that I think would be a little more fun...rather than a six game series (or even something like overall win-loss record), why not some more off-the-wall stuff? I thought maybe we could pick five "races" and whoever wins three of them wins. Of course, this wouldn't get resolved and the game in question would not occur until 2016, unless we set a cutoff date of August 1st or September 1st or something. Some things I thought of...

Abreu homers vs Rizzo homers

Sale/Samardzija strikeouts vs Lester/Arrieta strikeouts

Adam Eaton home runs vs Cubs pitchers home runs

Any other ideas? These should all be toss-ups, obviously.

Maybe something like hitter with highest batting average, Robertson saves vs Rondon saves, most 20 HR hitters, etc...

I'm pretty saber-inclined but he's not.

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 06:53 AM)
My girlfriend is from a Cubs family, though she's never been huge into baseball herself.

Her brother has suggested a friendly wager for 2015--his idea was that if the Cubs win the City Series, I have to go to a game at Wrigley in Cubs regalia with him, and vice versa.

I counterproposed something that I think would be a little more fun...rather than a six game series (or even something like overall win-loss record), why not some more off-the-wall stuff? I thought maybe we could pick five "races" and whoever wins three of them wins. Of course, this wouldn't get resolved and the game in question would not occur until 2016, unless we set a cutoff date of August 1st or September 1st or something. Some things I thought of...

Abreu homers vs Rizzo homers

Sale/Samardzija strikeouts vs Lester/Arrieta strikeouts

Adam Eaton home runs vs Cubs pitchers home runs

Any other ideas? These should all be toss-ups, obviously.

Maybe something like hitter with highest batting average, Robertson saves vs Rondon saves, most 20 HR hitters, etc...

I'm pretty saber-inclined but he's not.

You could contain these bets within the crosstown series instead of end of year results

This is exactly where there is an old Comiskey and a new one.

Sean Gentille ‏@seangentille 3h3 hours ago

Wrigley renovations cost $575 million. PNC was $216 million total. Crazy. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/sports/b...sports&_r=0

View summary 0 replies 10 retweets 10 favorites

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
This is exactly where there is an old Comiskey and a new one.

Sean Gentille ‏@seangentille 3h3 hours ago

Wrigley renovations cost $575 million. PNC was $216 million total. Crazy. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/sports/b...sports&_r=0

View summary 0 replies 10 retweets 10 favorites

I am guessing building a brand new Wrigley would cost pretty close to what they are paying to renovate. What seems to always happen is the building budget will be broken and costs will skyrocket. I wouldn't be surprised if this costs Ricketts a lot more than the current price estimate.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
So the Chicago radio scene has the cub coming in second in the James Shields sweepstakes and the cubs getting Hammels for a couple of good not top 100 prospects.

Yeah I saw that on the Kap and Haugh show yesterday.

Kap thinks the Cubs will trade Castillo, Wood and a couple prospects not named Baez, Almora, Edwards (obviously not Russell or Bryant) for Hamels. Lol what a joke.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
Yeah I saw that on the Kap and Haugh show yesterday.

Kap thinks the Cubs will trade Castillo, Wood and a couple prospects not named Baez, Almora, Edwards (obviously not Russell or Bryant) for Hamels. Lol what a joke.

Amaro is stupid, but not that stupid.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
Oh come on, there's no way Boston or the Cardinals could top Wood, Castillo and mid-level prospects :)

The cubs issue will be the holes left after the youth is traded. The Cardinals and Red Sox have youth to trade with a good MLB team.

The cubs need to hit on all of these guys for their rebuild to work.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
The cubs issue will be the holes left after the youth is traded. The Cardinals and Red Sox have youth to trade with a good MLB team.

The cubs need to hit on all of these guys for their rebuild to work.

The Cubs could trade Russell and still not be left with a hole at the big league level. I actually think the Cardinals depth is slowly eroding, as their farm system has dried up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
The Cubs could trade Russell and still not be left with a hole at the big league level. I actually think the Cardinals depth is slowly eroding, as their farm system has dried up.

Cardinals wre really rolling the dice with their rotation after Wainwright this year.

They have a lot more quality depth than the White Sox at the back end.

Sure, there's a lot more uncertainty with pitchers like Kelly, Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins all gone.

That said, Wacha obviously has the ability and post-season pedigree, Martinez is tremendously talented, Lynn's the equivalent of Quintana essentially...of course, most would take Sale over Wainright, but it's not like Gonzalez and Garcia are chopped liver.

While Rodon has more POTENTIAL, the Cardinals still have more overall depth in the upper levels of their system.

Montas and Danish are at least 1 1/2 seasons away...at least as starters.