2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 05:48 AM)
If Jose Abreu said that about the Sox, this board would be giddy. What is the kid supposed to say?

Exactly. I have no problem with an athlete thinking that. If some fan came up to me and said it, I'd shake my head at him in embarassment.

That said, he better perform or the vultures will attack him.

Edited by Brian

If Jose Abreu said that about the Sox, this board would be giddy. What is the kid supposed to say?

IDK, nothing about the Cubs winning the division? The Cubs and their fanbase have a real issue with getting overly optimistic, only to put unneeded pressure on themselves (see past 100 some odd years).

Realistically, they're not even that close to doing it. All the projection systems love their young players, but I don't buy almost 2-3 of them panning out immediately.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 05:59 AM)
Exactly. I have no problem with an athlete thinking that. If some fan came up to me and said it, I'd shake my head at him in embarassment.

That said, he better perform or the vultures will attack him.

And he said it during a Fan Convention. Non story.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 02:33 AM)
It didn't have a writer attached to it

Oh OK. Just a wild guess on my part.

While the cubs have had a nice off season, they have not even come close to making the moves the Sox have this off season so Sox fans being giddy would be justifiable if Abreu said that.

I don't have a problem with Rizzo saying what he said, just feel its a little premature given the cubs roster and teams in their division. Lester does not make the cubs a contender, though he certainly helps push them in the right direction.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
Wite would you really be that bad of player? I mean jeez man. =)

I believe so. I struggled catching up to 80 MPH heat in high school and had virtually no chance against bad breaking balls. That was 10 years ago. Since then, I've slowed down and put on 60 pounds due to eating/drinking, so I've slowed up quite a bit too.

Maybe I'd do better than 3 for 600, but it wouldn't be pretty.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
I believe so. I struggled catching up to 80 MPH heat in high school and had virtually no chance against bad breaking balls. That was 10 years ago. Since then, I've slowed down and put on 60 pounds due to eating/drinking, so I've slowed up quite a bit too.

Maybe I'd do better than 3 for 600, but it wouldn't be pretty.

How are you getting 600 plate appearances with those numbers?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
How are you getting 600 plate appearances with those numbers?

I'm a scrappy player, and I do a lot of things that really go underappreciated. I hit to the right side and advance runners a lot by dinking balls out in front of the plate and moving runners up that way as well as swinging at pitches that the catcher has no chance of getting and reaching base that way.

I wouldn't be. I hate when players make claims like that, especially when it's a longshot. It just adds pressure to that player and it leaves them wide open to criticism as well when it doesn't happen.

Remember in 2010 when Chris Johnson said he was going to rush for 2500 yards? He didn't even reach 1500 that season, and he hasn't reached even 1250 yards in a year since. Not saying it had something to do with it, but I just hate when athletes make such bold claims about their teams. It never works out in their favor because we already assume everyone believes that "this year will be our year", but when you say it WILL happen, you are more than likely going to just look foolish.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 06:45 AM)
In the why didn't you do this a couple of years ago department, According to public records, Ricketts has bought 3 rooftop buildings and businesses.

The cubs being bad made a lot of those rooftops less valuable. I think some of them may have even been close to filing BK. So in an ironic twist, the Cubs terribleness may have made it easier to buy them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 06:45 AM)
In the why didn't you do this a couple of years ago department, According to public records, Ricketts has bought 3 rooftop buildings and businesses.

Were these some of the ones that george lucas owned? Rumor has it that part of the concession for the lucas museum was the release of some of the legal battles involving the rooftops. I know he was not going to give up ownership of the cubby bear.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
Were these some of the ones that george lucas owned? Rumor has it that part of the concession for the lucas museum was the release of some of the legal battles involving the rooftops. I know he was not going to give up ownership of the cubby bear.

The Star Wars George Lucas isn't the same guy who owns the Cubby Bear. Same name, different guys.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)

Not the same guy, but 2 of them were owned by George Lukas.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
The Star Wars George Lucas isn't the same guy who owns the Cubby Bear. Same name, different guys.

Really, I thought it was the same person. I guess it doesn't matter then.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 02:12 AM)
I can't believe the entire left and right field bleachers only hold 2,000 seats. I guess it makes sense, it just seems like more.

That number is wrong.

The right number is they would hold 0 right now. ;)