2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://beta.espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12...-nerds-too-easy

Point #2 is the reason why I previously argued that Cubs' batters with high strikeout rates IS a real cause for concern. Stat nerd himself Nate Silver says that strikeout to walk ratio is one of the most predictive stats for a pitcher's win-loss record. Taking the other side of this, unless the Cubs' big strikeout guys are getting on base at a high rate via walks or high batting average, it's a real problem.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)

Point #2 is the reason why I previously argued that Cubs' batters with high strikeout rates IS a real cause for concern. Stat nerd himself Nate Silver says that strikeout to walk ratio is one of the most predictive stats for a pitcher's win-loss record. Taking the other side of this, unless the Cubs' big strikeout guys are getting on base at a high rate via walks or high batting average, it's a real problem.

Link just takes me to ESPN's homepage.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)

I've said this all along. It's hard to get a group of rookies to contribute their first year. It's even harder when most of those rookies strike out about as much as Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)

You can't take the other side of it as a perfect parallel though. Pitchers face a ton of different guys, and that will level out in the long run. Hitters are who they are, they don't operate the same way as pitchers. If you have 12 good hitters who all strike out more than average, why would they not score runs? They're still good hitters.

I'm not here saying that their strikeout rates are perfectly fine or they shouldn't worry about it, but saying they won't be effective solely because they strike out a lot is, I feel, a little short-sighted.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
You can't take the other side of it as a perfect parallel though. Pitchers face a ton of different guys, and that will level out in the long run. Hitters are who they are, they don't operate the same way as pitchers. If you have 12 good hitters who all strike out more than average, why would they not score runs? They're still good hitters.

I'm not here saying that their strikeout rates are perfectly fine or they shouldn't worry about it, but saying they won't be effective solely because they strike out a lot is, I feel, a little short-sighted.

But what you can assume is that teams with more extreme line ups, like this group, will have much higher standard deviations of runs scored, leading to many times where they lose games because of the short ends of those uneven distributions.

Teams with more stable line ups and run scoring structures, will have more stable runs scored per game deviations, and less variations.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
But what you can assume is that teams with more extreme line ups, like this group, will have much higher standard deviations of runs scored, leading to many times where they lose games because of the short ends of those uneven distributions.

Teams with more stable line ups and run scoring structures, will have more stable runs scored per game deviations, and less variations.

I don't necessarily know that we can. I'd like to see a regression analysis done, but the variation in game to game runs scored is incredibly small as it is.

Even if it is, I'd prefer an inconsistent, high-scoring offense to a bad offense any day.

Apparently this is what the Cubs owner thinks of his fans. They need pretty pictures to keep their attention.

Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 27s27 seconds ago

Ricketts feels his local Television can upgrade graphics and on screen video side bars to keep fan attention

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)
Apparently this is what the Cubs owner thinks of his fans. They need pretty pictures to keep their attention.

Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 27s27 seconds ago

Ricketts feels his local Television can upgrade graphics and on screen video side bars to keep fan attention

The White Sox are about to change the feel of U.S. Cellular Field to that of an NBA game to reach a "younger audience". It's really not that different.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
The White Sox are about to change the feel of U.S. Cellular Field to that of an NBA game to reach a "younger audience". It's really not that different.

They have done an NBA style for years. They just hired a guy from the Miami Heat to take over the game day duties.

I wasn't at the opening ceremony at Soxfest, but supposedly that was his first production with the team, and probably a sign of what you can expect.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
Soler is listed at 215lbs, and apparently he reported to camp at 245lb. ummmm, thats a lot of weight gain over an offseason

what type of weight did he add? Was it younger dude who was never exposed to junk food and went bonkers in the off-season or we talking mid 90's 30lb off-season weight gain?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
what type of weight did he add? Was it younger dude who was never exposed to junk food and went bonkers in the off-season or we talking mid 90's 30lb off-season weight gain?

@MDGonzales: The 6-foot-4 Soler, listed at 215 pounds, says he weighs 242. Added plenty of muscle, and he believes he still has maintained his range.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
Soler is listed at 215lbs, and apparently he reported to camp at 245lb. ummmm, thats a lot of weight gain over an offseason

Not a chance in hell that Soler that was his listed weight of 215 last year.