2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
Castillo is going somewhere. I dont know where, but with Ross and Montero there, there is not a lot of innings available for Castillo

Yep, thought they might use him to get an outfielder. Wouldn't be shocked if he's traded for minor league pitching now. The Cubs major league roster seems pretty filled.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
That frees up 3B. I wonder if they have anybody to play that position in the minors. :huh:

Doesn't seem like they gave up much to get Fowler. They are doing a good job of getting high OBP guys to go with their enormous power

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
Why do I feel like that's a huge underpay for Fowler?

I thought that too at first but if you look at his numbers the past couple of years they aren't overwhelming IMO. And the fact that Houston looked to deal him right away after a year isnt very promising. Do they have a loaded outfield to push him out?

Fowler isn't that great - no power, a lot of walks, bad defense. What kind of return were the Astros supposed to get for a 1 year rent of a walker?

Astros got a decent return. Straily is decent; Vilbuena had a career year, but that's 2 career years in a row for him, so he may just be a late bloomer.

Okay deal for the Astros. They made a terrible trade for Gattis, but this one was fine.

Edited by GreenSox

Fowler's a hell of a leadoff hitter. He walks a ton. This is a good trade for the Cubs, especially if all they gave up was Valbuena.

Edit: see that they gave up Straily too. Still, I like this trade for the Cubs. Fowler sucks on defense if you put him in CF, so you have to stash him in a corner spot.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
No one has seemed to mention how terrible Fowler has graded out as a defender.

Ha ha, good point. Should be interesting to see how Fowler plays defensively on those hot summer days with the winds coming off the lake.

I guess this trade makes sense for both teams. Astros clear Fowlers salary and the cubs clear space for Bryant. Straily, not sure what to think but he could turn into a decent arm for the Astros pen. Even still, for one year of Fowler (FA after 2015), I'm really not sure what the cubs are thinking. Something to give cub fans hope?

I think you guys are overrating Fowler. He gets on base at a decent clip but Valbuena is a solid player and they get a decent arm in Straily too.

Just because I feel this is worth pointing out:

Josh Donaldson: .255/.342/.456, 10.9% BB, 18.7% K, .351 wOBA, 129 wRC+

Luis Valbuena: .249/.341/.435, 11.9% B, 20.7% K, .342 wOBA, 116 wRC+

Donaldson is a superior player because he's much, much better defensively, but Valbuena is a good player. The Cubs are just dealing from a position of strength.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
I think you guys are overrating Fowler. He gets on base at a decent clip but Valbuena is a solid player and they get a decent arm in Straily too.

Just because I feel this is worth pointing out:

Josh Donaldson: .255/.342/.456, 10.9% BB, 18.7% K, .351 wOBA, 129 wRC+

Luis Valbuena: .249/.341/.435, 11.9% B, 20.7% K, .342 wOBA, 116 wRC+

Donaldson is a superior player because he's much, much better defensively, but Valbuena is a good player. The Cubs are just dealing from a position of strength.

I'm not sure it's right to judge Valbuena based on last year. He's got a career wRC+ of 88. One good year doesn't make him a 116 wRC+ type of hitter.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
I'm not sure it's right to judge Valbuena based on last year. He's got a career wRC+ of 88. One good year doesn't make him a 116 wRC+ type of hitter.

So because he was good last year and it was the first year he was good, we have to throw it out? The Cubs very well could be selling high and he may regress to a 100 or so wRC+, or they could be selling right as he's beginning to peak. He's cut his IFFB's quite a bit, he's hitting more flyballs, and his power numbers increased across the board. Most projections have him around 2 WAR right now, which is the same as Fowler, and the Astros are getting Straily as well.

I feel more like it's an overpay. Valbuena has been better the last couple years than Fowler has, and Fowler only has 1 year left vs. Valbuena's 2 years left, oh yeah, and then throw in 5 years of Dan Straily who could be a solid arm if he can get his walk rate down.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
No one has seemed to mention how terrible Fowler has graded out as a defender.

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 56m56 minutes ago

Newest Cubs CF Dexter Fowler ranked last among MLB centerfielders in Defensive Runs Saved last season (-20)

Guess the days for Alcantara are numbered, at least he'll probably have to wait another year in the minors.

Not sure exactly how he fits into their future plans. Trade bait for another starter, packaged with Russell/Castro/Baez?

Then again, they might end up moving him to 3B to start the season and hold the position for Bryant until May or June.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Fowler's a hell of a leadoff hitter. He walks a ton. This is a good trade for the Cubs, especially if all they gave up was Valbuena.

Edit: see that they gave up Straily too. Still, I like this trade for the Cubs. Fowler sucks on defense if you put him in CF, so you have to stash him in a corner spot.

He's the Cubs everyday CFer. Awful.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
So because he was good last year and it was the first year he was good, we have to throw it out? The Cubs very well could be selling high and he may regress to a 100 or so wRC+, or they could be selling right as he's beginning to peak. He's cut his IFFB's quite a bit, he's hitting more flyballs, and his power numbers increased across the board. Most projections have him around 2 WAR right now, which is the same as Fowler, and the Astros are getting Straily as well.

No, not necessarily. But treating him like he is a 115 wRC+ hitter doesn't seem right. I still seem him as an average hitter (e.g. 100 wRC+).

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Alcantara is their CF Fowler is a corner guy or 4th OF.

i dont think they make that trade and send two valuable major league players for a one year rental 4th outfielder.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Alcantara is their CF Fowler is a corner guy or 4th OF.

They will go with Fowler in CF and a Coghlan/Denorfia platoon in LF until Kris Bryant is ready in May. I think they will play Mike Olt at 3B or move Baez to 3B and use Alcantara/LaStella to 2B.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
RF - Soler

CF - Fowler/Denorfia

LF - Coghlan/Denorfia

SS - Castro

3B - Alcantara/Olt

2B - LaStella/Alcantara

1B - Rizzo

C - Montero

Bench: C Ross, 2B/3B Olt/LaStella, OF Denorfia

Then they probably break with one of Sweeney/Lake (I'd assume Sweeney) and another infielder.

CF Fowler

LF Coghlan

1B Rizzo

SS Castrp

RF Soler

C Montero

3B Alcantara/Olt

2B LaStella/Alcantara

Speaking objectively, their top six is better than ours.

Eeeeeeeeeaaaaaassssy there

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
Compelling.

Adam Eaton vs. Dexter Fowler - Adam Eaton definitely the better player all things considered (defense, contract) but Fowler might be slightly better offensively.

Melky Cabrera vs. Chris Coghlan - Coghlan had a great year but I'll give Cabrera the nod here.

Jose Abreu vs. Anthony Rizzo - They're very similar. I think Abreu definitely has a chance to better. Call it a slight win for Abreu.

Adam LaRoche vs. Starlin Castro - LaRoche is better.

Avi Garica vs. Jorge Soler - I'll take Soler quite easily.

Conor Gillaspie vs. Miguel Monterp - Montero has more power, more OBP and BABIPs normalizing favor Montero heavily.

So you're saying we're better 1-4.