2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
In 3 full seasons with Mike Trout, the Angels have won exactly zero playoff games

The White Sox had a Top 5 pitcher and hitter last year.

They didn't make the playoffs.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)
Boras exploits every loophole he can. This time he gets burned by one. File a greivance. It won't work.

I'm sure it won't change anything for Bryant, although it may lead to changes in the next CBA. It's just slowly turning into a publicity nightmare for the Cubs. The smart fans know the benefit in holding him back a few weeks, but a lot of frustrated fans don't care, they want see to the best players now.

Sports are really starting to piss me off.

Tanking for years is acceptable, yes as a fan I want my team to suck for a number of years.

When a team wins a championship, I gain nothing in the grand scheme of things, nothing. Mylife is no better or worse because of the 2005 White Sox. Yes it was fun but then that is it. It is over.

Each day and each game is its own entity of enjoyment to me. It benefits me in my life for that time I am watching/attending it and that is it.

There is no reason why Bryant should start the season in the minors. Any work he needs he can get in the MLB. If the cubs believe they are a better team without him fine but they are not.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)

Tanking for years is acceptable, yes as a fan I want my team to suck for a number of years.

When a team wins a championship, I gain nothing in the grand scheme of things, nothing. Mylife is no better or worse because of the 2005 White Sox. Yes it was fun but then that is it. It is over.

Each day and each game is its own entity of enjoyment to me. It benefits me in my life for that time I am watching/attending it and that is it.

There is no reason why Bryant should start the season in the minors. Any work he needs he can get in the MLB. If the cubs believe they are a better team without him fine but they are not.

They think they will be a better team with him than without him in 7 seasons, and for that extra year, it costs them 2 weeks or less than a DL stint with him in Iowa.

It's not that they want to send him down. It makes no sense not to send him down. Same with Rodon. If Rodon had a 0.00 ERA this spring with 2 k's per inning, the Sox would be foolish not to let him spend a couple of weeks in Charlotte.

Face it, when their contracts are up, they will be bleeding whichever team they sign with for the very last cent. Might as well save yourself a few bucks while you can.

I do agree with you though generally regarding sports. Most of us take them way too seriously. Your life didn't change because the White Sox won the WS. Neither did mine. I still had to pay bills and taxes. Some things have happened in my life to gain some perspective. My dog got cancer and died. A close friend and huge White Sox fan,had an accident and died. I worked for a company that went bankrupt. I was lucky and got something without missing a paycheck, but others, through no fault of their own took a long time to find jobs, and many of those would be considered underemployed now. Watching the White Sox lose isn't "embarrassing" anymore. I'd rather they win, and still get excited when they do and have a good team. But for the most part, life is the same whether the teams I like win a championship or lose most of the time.

I think I have used this before, but my wife gets a little ticked around July of every year when I have spent too much time on baseball. She used the line it's just a bunch of uneducated men in silly costumes running around in dirt trying to hit a ball with a stick. She's right.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)

This is a very bad and uninformed opinion.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
I'm sure it won't change anything for Bryant, although it may lead to changes in the next CBA. It's just slowly turning into a publicity nightmare for the Cubs. The smart fans know the benefit in holding him back a few weeks, but a lot of frustrated fans don't care, they want see to the best players now.

Frustrated is the wrong word. I prefer stupid in this case. If you are a Cubs and want Kris Bryant in the majors to start the year, that is a really stupid opinion. There really isn't another side in this argument.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Patrick Mooney ‏@CSNMooney 23m23 minutes ago

Maddon gets why Boras stuck up for Bryant: "Scorpions bite. That’s what they’re supposed to do. Whatever your nature, that’s what you do."

Every agent would do the same thing. I don't blame Boras, but he has known all along what is going to happen and why. If he were on the other side, he would do the same thing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)

Frustrated is the wrong word. I prefer stupid in this case. If you are a Cubs and want Kris Bryant in the majors to start the year, that is a really stupid opinion. There really isn't another side in this argument.

7 years from now is the payday, everyone gets it. Two weeks in the minors will not impact anyone other than Kris Bryant. That is not the point of either of our posts.

In 7 years he will go to the highest bidder whether that is the cubs red sox or royals, although he could be out of baseball by then as well.

The best part would be if he made the cubs pay an extra $25M on top of the highest bidder if that is what this little stint in the minors cost him at the end of the day.

My point was that as a fan I look at my team for today's entertainment, not how entertaining they may be in 7 years. What happens tomorrow and what happened last year do not impact me so long term stability, while great for my IRA, does nothing for me as a sports fan.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
Unless they miss the playoffs by just 1-2 games...

A possibility that should not be discounted. Could certainly happen, and oh how fun that s***storm of bad publicity would be.

Still, the % play is to get the extra year of control, vs. the 2 weeks of ABs that he'll get in Iowa instead of Chicago.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
Feel bad for the kid..might cost him ROY...

Missing a few weeks will cost him a ROY? lol, no. Plenty of rookies have been called up late or didn't play a full season and still won ROY or finished at the top of voting.

Abreu missed 2 weeks, and he won. DeGrom didn't make his debut until May 14th, he won.

Wil Myers only played 88 games. Jose Fernandez only made 28 starts.

Trout and Harper both debuted on April 28th in the years they won.

You get the point. They could wait for Bryant's Super 2 to pass and he could still win ROY. Although I'm still taking Kang for my NL ROY.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
Missing a few weeks will cost him a ROY? lol, no. Plenty of rookies have been called up late or didn't play a full season and still won ROY or finished at the top of voting.

Abreu missed 2 weeks, and he won. DeGrom didn't make his debut until May 14th, he won.

Wil Myers only played 88 games. Jose Fernandez only made 28 starts.

Trout and Harper both debuted on April 28th in the years they won.

You get the point. They could wait for Bryant's Super 2 to pass and he could still win ROY. Although I'm still taking Kang for my NL ROY.

I hope so. Pirates are a team I like and root for.

He only has to miss 9 games. It's a no-brainer. He could go 2-30 to start the year. Nobody is even thinking about that. The only thing people say talk about is them losing by not having him. It's not even about Super II. It's just about getting the extra year. It is essential with a Boras client.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 06:43 AM)
Anyone else think Scott boras complaining about using the CBA to their advantage is hilarious? He'll be milking them for every dime in 7 years.

It doesnt really bother me anymore. Its a game, he is just playing it. He knows how it works for both sides, he is just applying pressure to see if the Cubs will break.

If Boras were in Theo's shoes, we all know damn well that he would be sending Bryant down until the Cubs get their extra year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
He only has to miss 9 games. It's a no-brainer. He could go 2-30 to start the year. Nobody is even thinking about that. The only thing people say talk about is them losing by not having him. It's not even about Super II. It's just about getting the extra year. It is essential with a Boras client.

Kris Bryant? 2 for 30? Haven't you been watching the news? That's un-possible.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 07:17 AM)
Kris Bryant? 2 for 30? Haven't you been watching the news? That's un-possible.

If Kris Bryant was a White Sox prospect, I think there would be a lot of posts here mentioing a clearing some space in the summer of 2035 for his HOF induction. The guy is a great prospect.

I was watching Baseball Tonight last night. Surprisingly, they have a lot of people who think the White Sox will win the Central. Pedro Gomez was talking to a scout that pegged Bryant the second coming of Mike Schmidt.

Chances are, he is going to be a monster.

And I mentioned this in another thread. Schilling was on and said there is no way Sale will pitch April 12th. Then Gomez who reported the White Sox were targeting that day said they do plan to be careful and Cooper said it could be late April before he returns, which lined up perfectly with what Schilling said. Schilling may be an idiot, but he does know how long it takes pitchers to be ready.