The White Sox will not offer Hector Olivera

caulfield12

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
I can't believe he comments here about Beckham. By golly geez don't you read the off season stories. We will win 162 games this season judging by all the positive feel good stuff I have been reading. Where have you folks been???

Well, Beckham was mediocre to pretty bad for most of his time as a white sox player, but here is to hoping he starts taking steroids and doesn't get caught

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
This is approximately the worst case scenario. You can't rule it out, because if both Sanchez and Johnson look absolutely terrible in the spring, I think there's an outside chance at this. If this happened, it would be a very bad thing.

Even if we had to endure Beckham as the starting 2B next year, at least he would be hitting out of the 9 spot.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:31 PM)
I can't believe he comments here about Beckham. By golly geez don't you read the off season stories. We will win 162 games this season judging by all the positive feel good stuff I have been reading. Where have you folks been???

for me, i will explain my response.

with what the sox have now both in the minors and on the 40 man team, if someone doesn't pan out, Beckham is there. the team have used Beckham starting and only last season decided to cut bait with him. there are no better options and the sox FO are not going to make a trade. the only other way would have been the FA route, but talking about spending money, causes problems.

so unless a waiver prospects comes up, and better than what the sox have now in camp, this is the best. might as well make the best of it.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
FWIW, there's no reason to believe that Sanchez isn't ready. He's repeated AAA and did very well there last year. There's reason to believe he's not going to be a very good major leaguer, but I'd be shocked if he isn't at least competent and probably slightly more valuable than Beckham ever was over a full season. Micah has a much higher bust potential, because he really hasn't been any good in AAA yet. But, that's why he probably won't break camp with the team.

Agreed.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/02/25/lev...-on-competiton/

Sanchez is very good, but probably not elite...in the same way Gordon's not elite, either.

“I love his offensive potential,” said a veteran major league scout who saw (Micah) Johnson a half-dozen times last year. “He must improve on the double play, or else his future is in the outfield on defense.

So we have two elite athletes in Johnson and Anderson, with no place for them to play (currently) in the outfield. Here's hoping they both stick as middle infielders, that would give the White Sox a HUGE shot in the arm for the next 5-6 years.

It will be interesting to see if Micah sticks at 2B or if they also give him some time in the outfield (in Charlotte) if he doesn't make the big league club. The problem there is that Ventura likes to use late-inning defensive replacements, and Johnson would fit in more as an everyday replacement (for Avi Garcia or Cabrera) than he would as a bench player due to his very limited experience out there.

We also have limited options for the 4th outfielder position (unless you consider Bonifacio the primary back-up there)...at least for the time being.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
FWIW, there's no reason to believe that Sanchez isn't ready. He's repeated AAA and did very well there last year. There's reason to believe he's not going to be a very good major leaguer, but I'd be shocked if he isn't at least competent and probably slightly more valuable than Beckham ever was over a full season. Micah has a much higher bust potential, because he really hasn't been any good in AAA yet. But, that's why he probably won't break camp with the team.

And that's also why I hope they just send Micah to AAA even if he's a tad better than Sanchez...he could end up being a lot better with proper seasoning. he hit everywhere but AAA, but wasn't there for long.

But Sanchez should be competent.

I'm good with Beckham as a utility player and platoon hitter.

Edited by GreenSox

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 10:50 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/hect...ucl-damage.html

Wonder who leaked this out there as a negotiating tactic? Astros again? Probably not, since they already have Altuve and Correa.

prob, didn't they tried to do that with a player who just packed up and went somewhere else. i think it was mentioned in mlbtrade rumors.

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2015/2/13/803...-yadier-alvarez

You'd have to guess Alvarez (comps to Pedro and Ramon Martinez) will get at least $20-30 million x two as well...same situation as Moncada, under 23.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...nt-sign-july-2/

Since Alvares won't be eligible until July 2nd, the Angels Rays Red Sox Yankees and DBacks are already out of the running.

Still leaves the Padres Dodgers Giants Cubs Rangers Mariners Cardinals Phillies, etc.

Sounds very similar to Montas.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
I'd be more interested if his price falls into the $20-30m range.

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of knowing how the Gillaspie/Beckham experiment will turn out, but I'd almost rather see him at 3B than 2B, assuming Micah Johnson eventually can handle it.

That would give us a tremendously-athletic infield, Olivera/Alexei/Micah/Abreu-LaRoche.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of knowing how the Gillaspie/Beckham experiment will turn out, but I'd almost rather see him at 3B than 2B, assuming Micah Johnson eventually can handle it.

That would give us a tremendously-athletic infield, Olivera/Alexei/Micah/Abreu-LaRoche.

for me, who i want players/prospects to make this spring very competitive, i have a problem with what he is looking at in a sense of yrs of the contract.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/3/12/8203...-marlins-braves

Looks like the Dodgers are offering $77 million over six years, beating Rusney Castillo's deal...just wow.

Maybe even crazier was Gammons' idea that at least five teams were willing to pay him more than $70 million.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/...hector-olivera/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 11:16 PM)
Thank god we got Abreu a year early.

Abreu is partially responsible for the size of these deals. Cubans were having success long before him but it seems like he and Puig broke the dam. Now there's no chance for any of these teams to get surplus value.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
Abreu is partially responsible for the size of these deals. Cubans were having success long before him but it seems like he and Puig broke the dam. Now there's no chance for any of these teams to get surplus value.

and some are getting paid way over the normal cost. its like all the org are expecting to catch magic like the sox did with Jose A.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)

Abreu is a lot responsible for these last few deals.