RIP Minnie Minoso

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
I remember when Sox got Minnie in 1951, and how he captivated the city and especially Sox fans. To this day I use variations of his name in many of my passwords, so I think of him often. He was a dandy.

Funny how he and Ernie Banks died so close together in time.

RIP.

I'm sure saddened by this news. I wish I could have seem play in his first go-around with the Sox but I remember well when the Sox reacquired Minnie. If there's such as thing as Mr. White Sox, that was Minnie. R. I. P.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
I'm sure saddened by this news. I wish I could have seem play in his first go-around with the Sox but I remember well when the Sox reacquired Minnie. If there's such as thing as Mr. White Sox, that was Minnie. R. I. P.

Orestes " Minnie" Minoso He may have been the only Orestes in Mlb history. I met him one day at restaurant or bar on the day the white sox game was called of to snow or low temperatures, he was signing autographs. I was so awestruck I couldn't think of any thing intelligent to say. I finally just said, Are you really Minnie Minoso" Minnie replied," who else would I be. "

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
I just read a good, but probably easy for a big White Sox fan, trivia question. There is still an active player who had a teammate who was a teammate of Minnie's.

Are you including the 1980 stint? I guess it must be.

“When I die, I want to be playing baseball,” Minoso once said. “Truly. They don’t bury me without my uniform. If I die, I die happy because I was wearing No. 9 for the White Sox.”

Feel as I did when Ernie Banks died. What great ambassadors for Chicago sports. Rest in peace and peace to all his family members. I mean, Ernie Banks was Mr. Cub. Minoso Mr. Sox. They both leave the world so close together.

Minnie was before my time, but as I recall reading about him. When he was activated at age 60 or whenever, didn't he actually get several at bats? Didn't he actually finally hit a single? I know he didn't strike out each at bat he got.

Statement by the President on the Passing of Minnie Minoso

For South Siders and Sox fans all across the country, including me, Minnie Minoso is and will always be “Mr. White Sox.”

The first black Major Leaguer in Chicago, Minnie came to the United States from Cuba even though he could have made more money elsewhere. He came up through the Negro Leagues, and didn’t speak much English at first. And as he helped to integrate baseball in the 1950s, he was a target of racial slurs from fans and opponents, sometimes forced to stay in different motels from his teammates. But his speed, his power – and his resilient optimism – earned him multiple All-Star appearances and Gold Gloves in left field, and he became one of the most dominant and dynamic players of the 1950s.

Minnie may have been passed over by the Baseball Hall of Fame during his lifetime, but for me and for generations of black and Latino young people, Minnie’s quintessentially American story embodies far more than a plaque ever could.

Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to his family and fans in Chicago, Cleveland, and around the world.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId...e%3D27"%7D

White Sox Cuban-born first baseman Jose Abreu, who formed a tight bond with Minoso during his 2014 Rookie of the Year season, is taking the news hard and declined all interview requests Sunday.

Backup catcher Adrian Nieto, who also was born in Cuba, said Minoso was always there to give a helping hand.

"He was always there at games and always gave me and Abreu advice," Nieto said. "I'll never forget the piece of advice he gave me and Abreu: 'Just think you're the best but don't say it or walk around like you are.' I'll definitely take that with me for the rest of my career."

Statement by the President on the Passing of Minnie Minoso

For South Siders and Sox fans all across the country, including me, Minnie Minoso is and will always be “Mr. White Sox.”

The first black Major Leaguer in Chicago, Minnie came to the United States from Cuba even though he could have made more money elsewhere. He came up through the Negro Leagues, and didn’t speak much English at first. And as he helped to integrate baseball in the 1950s, he was a target of racial slurs from fans and opponents, sometimes forced to stay in different motels from his teammates. But his speed, his power – and his resilient optimism – earned him multiple All-Star appearances and Gold Gloves in left field, and he became one of the most dominant and dynamic players of the 1950s.

Minnie may have been passed over by the Baseball Hall of Fame during his lifetime, but for me and for generations of black and Latino young people, Minnie’s quintessentially American story embodies far more than a plaque ever could.

Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to his family and fans in Chicago, Cleveland, and around the world.

When Presidents make these statements I always hope there is a speech writer that that knows what is happening and he doesn't have to consult wikipedia to offer some respect. I don't expect a President to know everything about everyone and everything nor will his speech writers.

This is different. With this statement, I expect the President could have written this himself. It somehow means so much more coming from a legit Sox fan who also happens to be the President.

In tribute I decided to fire up The Show on my PS3 with '55 rosters. Minnie just hit a three-run homer off of Whitey Ford. I'm not making this up. Saving that highlight for sure.

Rest in peace, Comet.

Of the eighteen men to break the color barrier of the original 16 major league clubs, only five survive.

Giants:

Monte Irvin, age 96

Reds:

Nino Escalera, age 85

Chuck Harmon, age 90

Tigers:

Ozzie Virgil, age 82 (also the first Dominican major leaguer)

Red Sox:

Pumpsie Green, age 81

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
Orestes " Minnie" Minoso He may have been the only Orestes in Mlb history. I met him one day at restaurant or bar on the day the white sox game was called of to snow or low temperatures, he was signing autographs. I was so awestruck I couldn't think of any thing intelligent to say. I finally just said, Are you really Minnie Minoso" Minnie replied," who else would I be. "

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Ak3prh...restes+destrade

There's a Saturnino...Armas....Arrieta in Minnie's name as well.

Edited by caulfield12

He probably would have been better off saying he was born in 1923--which he very could have been.

1951-1961, he was the 2nd best AL offensive player, possibly at age 27-37. He so deserves to be in the Hall, and it's another sad case of a player dying before he goes in.

RIP Minnie.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/110819666/ph...hicago-treasure

Very good Phil Rogers column on Minnie.

Didn't realize his WAR and BB/K stats were so amazing...

Here's one reason we'd love to have a Minoso on this team:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...smi01-bat.shtml

His XBT% was in the 60 percentiles for multiple years. Nice player to have on the basepaths ahead of you.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Channel 11 is rerunning the documentary on Minoso tonight at 1030.

They'll also be talking about him on Chicago Tonight.

I would love to see that . It's at times like this that I wish the MLB Network would play content like that . Is there any way to watch it online since I am in California ?

Minoso once got into some sort of minor trouble with the law, and he had to face a judge who happened to be my wife's grandfather. Some time later, Minoso actually sought out the judge from his trial, to handle the marriage of he and his wife. So my wife's grandfather "married" Minnie and his wife at the time.

We have a signed Minnie baseball that came from that.