Ventura on his job status

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
Attendance is everything to this organization. Eventually it will either be a personnel move, or selling players, if attendance doesn't keep up with their projections. See also 2013.

It's got to be a major factor for the Brewers for one, keeping their fanbase satisfied and creating the perception (at least) they're trying to do everything in their power to remain competitive this season (especially with Wainright on the shelf).

Still, the Cardinals Nation machine just keeps humming, as happened before when their starting pitchers have gone down to major injuries like Carpenter and Wainright in the past, Jaime Garcia/Wacha more recently, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 4, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
In this , the 35th season Jerry Reinsdorf has owned the White Sox, please tell me when attendance determined a manager's fate.

the biggest secret the owners never wanted out was the tv money and forbe's profit / lost in their magazine.

no matter what the real money is or hidden forbes does a great job of showing the teams are making a big profit.

so in essence attendance, and how it will affect the owners of the sox. a question for a future time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
It's got to be a major factor for the Brewers for one, keeping their fanbase satisfied and creating the perception (at least) they're trying to do everything in their power to remain competitive this season (especially with Wainright on the shelf).

Still, the Cardinals Nation machine just keeps humming, as happened before when their starting pitchers have gone down to major injuries like Carpenter and Wainright in the past, Jaime Garcia/Wacha more recently, etc.

pretty much $$ Bill of the blackhawks philosophy and edict.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2015 -> 07:45 PM)

The Brewers aren't trying to be competitive this year. That's no shock to their fan base, as this was confirmed once they traded their #1 pitcher in the offseason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
Jay Zawaski ‏@JayZawaski670 2h2 hours ago

"I think Robin is going to be here as long as he wants to be." - Steve Stone 5/6/2015

From all reports, Robin is the type of guy who if he thought they would be better off without him, would walk away. He doesn't need the money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
From all reports, Robin is the type of guy who if he thought they would be better off without him, would walk away. He doesn't need the money.

The question is, would he do that during a season?

I just want the Sox to win games and get back to a decent shot of contending for 88 wins. But if that possibility/probability goes away in the next couple weeks or month, a change will need to be made. Otherwise, they're just fooling themselves that Ventura is the man for this job.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
The Brewers aren't trying to be competitive this year. That's no shock to their fan base, as this was confirmed once they traded their #1 pitcher in the offseason.

Then why fire the manager after they were finally playing better (5-5 over last ten, also won the weekend series convincingly)?

Plus, they just gave him an extension through 2016.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)

excellent point,

let me also add, they, the powers to be, can also convince him to quit, with a job in the front office enticement.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)

I just want the Sox to win games and get back to a decent shot of contending for 88 wins. But if that possibility/probability goes away in the next couple weeks or month, a change will need to be made. Otherwise, they're just fooling themselves that Ventura is the man for this job.

excellent analysis, but can it be answered now, i think not. it is for a further discussion for a later date. when the smoke of many possibilities are answered.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
Then why fire the manager after they were finally playing better (5-5 over last ten, also won the weekend series convincingly)?

Plus, they just gave him an extension through 2016.

That whole sequence tells me the Brewers organization is a mess.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2015 -> 06:41 PM)
and 2007/2009 were pretty terrible as well.

If not for those momentary blips in 2008/10/12, you'd have a decade of suck, and we're certainly nearing a decade without even the playoffs as the only major market team in the division, which is pretty incredible when you think of some of the advantages we SHOULD have been are unable to exploit (part of this offset by the crazy spending of Illitch, but also the fact that they either developed or traded for superstar players and we haven't, other than Sale/Abreu).

To not make the playoffs in that long a span is really embarrassing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 6, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
To not make the playoffs in that long a span is really embarrassing.

Could be worse. The Royals didn't make if for 30 years, now they think they invented the game, after making it as a wild card.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
Could be worse. The Royals didn't make if for 30 years, now they think they invented the game, after making it as a wild card.

"Could be worse" doesn't excuse the Sox overall performance over the last decade.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)

RV leash has to be short at this point. If team is still playing like this come June, a change has to be made.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
"Could be worse" doesn't excuse the Sox overall performance over the last decade.

Who in the AL Central would you rather have been a fan of the last 10 years? Only one has won a title.

I agree, they should have been better. But it certainly hasn't been paper bag over your head bad.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
Who in the AL Central would you rather have been a fan of the last 10 years? Only one has won a title.

Who in the AL Central would you rather have been a fan of the last 9 years?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)

I agree, they should have been better. But it certainly hasn't been paper bag over your head bad.

This is an excellent post.

Who in the AL Central would you rather have been a fan of the last 10 years?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)

These questions shall replace humanity's standard "glass half full / half empty" analogy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)

The post I was responding to mentioned decade. I have always thought that to be 10 years. You can cherry pick 9 years, but I'll take the title 10 years ago over 4 or 5 playoff flameouts any day of the week.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
The post I was responding to mentioned decade. I have always thought that to be 10 years. You can cherry pick 9 years, but I'll take the title 10 years ago over 4 or 5 playoff flameouts any day of the week.

And my response notes that 10 years is just about as arbitrary as 9 years and you only get to write that comment for 5.5 more months before we're at "> a decade" since then with 1 playoff appearance.

Obviously I was talking about 2006-2015, but you probably knew that.

If you want to get more specific, this organization has been a train wreck since the Peavy/Rios deals in 2009. They were dumb moves at the time, and they set back the organization a lot.

I trust Hahn having more control and more of a plan, but let's not pretend the Sox are a team where everything is fine, and it's just been bad luck they have 4 playoff games in the last NINE seasons.

Unless you think he should have foreseen Peavy's arm injury, that was a great deal -- the only thing we lost was money. Woe be to us that we lost Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda!

QUOTE (Jake @ May 6, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
Unless you think he should have foreseen Peavy's arm injury, that was a great deal -- the only thing we lost was money. Woe be to us that we lost Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda!

And he eventually turned into Avi, Montas and Rondon. I don't know how that set the organization back.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 6, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)

It was bad timing for what they tried to put around it, not necessarily the players they gave up.

It's been 6 years of suck, on the whole.

Edited by flavum