Ventura told stuff by front office

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 20, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
I would call that an apples to oranges comparison, but it's really more of an apples to hippopotamuses comparison. 53% of NBA teams make the playoffs. Until two years ago, 27% of MLB teams made the playoffs.

Even if we doubled it from 9 to 18 (your 2:1 ratio above), then that still wouldn't come anywhere close to what the Bulls have done since 1985, or the Blackhawks in terms of level of success over the last decade.

No matter how many ways we spin it (the record between 1990-2013 was the 4th or 5th in MLB, trailing only the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves and Cardinals, etc.), there's still the predominant perception that we're a "losing" rather than winning franchise, and that's going to take a LOT more than 2nd and 3rd place finishes to change.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The fact the Rangers have one leftie in the pen and our left handed hitters did not pinch hit last night still irks me. Especially for Ramirez or Cabrerra and probably should have for Beckham and FLowers as well

Also if Ventura is only going to use Robertson in save situations, he has no need on the team and will get rusty more times than being sharp. Has he pitched in the last week?

When he blows his next opportunity (ala Toronto after a week lay off) this can be the number one reason.

Ventura is not getting better at his job.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
The fact the Rangers have one leftie in the pen and our left handed hitters did not pinch hit last night still irks me. Especially for Ramirez or Cabrerra and probably should have for Beckham and FLowers as well

Also if Ventura is only going to use Robertson in save situations, he has no need on the team and will get rusty more times than being sharp. Has he pitched in the last week?

When he blows his next opportunity (ala Toronto after a week lay off) this can be the number one reason.

They actually had 2 lefties in their bullpen.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)

You can get away with that at home where if you get a lead you win, but on the road it means a two inning stint, and/or the loss of your best reliever for any later high leverage situations. Saving your closer on the road in extra innings is by the book.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)

I actually agree with the Robertson sentiment, but there are very few managers who would have done it any differently. That's just an "old school cardinal rule" thing.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
I actually agree with the Robertson sentiment, but there are very few managers who would have done it any differently. That's just an "old school cardinal rule" thing.

So is pinch hitting to use match ups to your advantage. I thought when the leftie came in they said it was the only leftie in the pen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
Even if we doubled it from 9 to 18 (your 2:1 ratio above), then that still wouldn't come anywhere close to what the Bulls have done since 1985, or the Blackhawks in terms of level of success over the last decade.

No matter how many ways we spin it (the record between 1990-2013 was the 4th or 5th in MLB, trailing only the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves and Cardinals, etc.), there's still the predominant perception that we're a "losing" rather than winning franchise, and that's going to take a LOT more than 2nd and 3rd place finishes to change.

In case anyone is curious, with 18 teams making the playoffs, the Sox would have made it in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, and 1990. Quit looking earlier than that. Put differently, would only have missed 2014, 2013, and 2007 in the years since 1989.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
So is pinch hitting to use match ups to your advantage. I thought when the leftie came in they said it was the only leftie in the pen.

They did, i heard it as well

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)

They did, but later they showed the other lefty warming up. Anyway, there is no way that is on Ventura. 2 runs in 10 innings would have been a win. They didn't hit when they needed to hit.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)

can you narrow down that time line. like 2000-2013???

the kw era.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
They did, but later they showed the other lefty warming up. Anyway, there is no way that is on Ventura. 2 runs in 10 innings would have been a win. They didn't hit when they needed to hit.

Pretty sure Texas only has 1 lefty in the pen and he came in against Melky last night in the 7th

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Pretty sure Texas only has 1 lefty in the pen and he came in against Melky last night in the 7th

Ross Detwiler didn't get in the game and he was warming up. He is a LH reliever.

Here are the line ups. Check the bullpen

https://twitter.com/ChiTribKane/status/606563887626878978

Edited by Dick Allen