Ventura told stuff by front office

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
Let's hope it continues when they face the two most beatable teams in the division at home this week...do they miss Kluber?

Kluber has had one really good game against a team that hasn't faced him. We have faced him a lot so I think we will fair well. If we can get 2-3 runs off him and get him out in the 7th we have a good shot

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2015 -> 11:29 PM)
I was watching the game with a Sox fan and I said, 'Time for the four-out save' and Robin did indeed get the hack reliever out of there. Robin didn't sit back and let the relievers blow it. He went with his horse and got another win. I didn't think Hahn and Kenny's calling out Robin was going to help anything, but it appears to have woken everybody up.

Defensive positioning -esp infield was awful in OAK.

The "stuff" has filtered down, resulting in unprecedented productivity from Sox players.

Ms. Moss Kanter’s prime example of what can be achieved through will and vision is a $1 billion tunnel beneath Biscayne Bay that allows trucks to reach the Port of Miami without clogging downtown streets. She credits, among others, Jose Abreu, a Cuban immigrant, civil engineer and state official who championed the project for decades. It started in the mid-1980s with an idea and a $4 million federal grant to study it. Some 30 years later, after myriad disputes, the tunnel was finally built by a public-private partnership drawing on money from a Paris-based infrastructure investment fund.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-fill-th...oles-1431898378

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2015 -> 03:51 AM)
The "stuff" has filtered down, resulting in unprecedented productivity from Sox players.

Ms. Moss Kanter’s prime example of what can be achieved through will and vision is a $1 billion tunnel beneath Biscayne Bay that allows trucks to reach the Port of Miami without clogging downtown streets. She credits, among others, Jose Abreu, a Cuban immigrant, civil engineer and state official who championed the project for decades. It started in the mid-1980s with an idea and a $4 million federal grant to study it. Some 30 years later, after myriad disputes, the tunnel was finally built by a public-private partnership drawing on money from a Paris-based infrastructure investment fund.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-fill-th...oles-1431898378

Wow, you've achieved a new level of random. "Article about civil engineers who share the name of white sox players? Why this belongs in the most recent thread about the manager!"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Wow, you've achieved a new level of random. "Article about civil engineers who share the name of white sox players? Why this belongs in the most recent thread about the manager!"

Thank you... I was reading that trying to figure out WTF that was about.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 18, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
This is the worst thread on Soxtalk right now. Have you guys noticed that everyone loves RV when we win; hates RV when we lose? Do you REALLY think that the FO said some words to RV that made him MAKE our players play better?

If the players like Robin as much as the media tells us, it isn't that much of a stretch to think that they are playing smarter to make sure he doesn't get fired.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 18, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
This is the worst thread on Soxtalk right now. Have you guys noticed that everyone loves RV when we win; hates RV when we lose? Do you REALLY think that the FO said some words to RV that made him MAKE our players play better?

i think you are generalizing this a bit and making an assumption.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
If the players like Robin as much as the media tells us, it isn't that much of a stretch to think that they are playing smarter to make sure he doesn't get fired.

I don't know, I guess I just don't feel like players can just "turn it on" whenever they want and it's just a matter of them being motivated enough to do so. Maybe I'm just easily frustrated by issues where we'll never have an answer.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 18, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
I don't know, I guess I just don't feel like players can just "turn it on" whenever they want and it's just a matter of them being motivated enough to do so. Maybe I'm just easily frustrated by issues where we'll never have an answer.

I think it's explained regression toward the mean.

They could not sustain that badness. Now, if Ventura was fired when they were 8-14 and they went on a 9-3 run, it would have been explained it was Robin all along, when it was not. Managers don't make as much difference as we would like to think, at least not in Robin's case. The White Sox problem was never a lack of motivation or effort.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 18, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)

To me the question is easy. Would the Sox have had a 9-3 run if Ventura had been fired?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 18, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
I think it's explained regression toward the mean.

They could not sustain that badness. Now, if Ventura was fired when they were 8-14 and they went on a 9-3 run, it would have been explained it was Robin all along, when it was not. Managers don't make as much difference as we would like to think, at least not in Robin's case. The White Sox problem was never a lack of motivation or effort.

I would add onto this and go a step further. I think with some guys, it was trying to do too much that was part of the issue.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
To me the question is easy. Would the Sox have had a 9-3 run if Ventura had been fired?

The question might be easy but the answer is not. When Hawk fired Tony LaRussa, and replaced him with Jim Fregosi in 1986, the White Sox had a much higher winning percentage under Fregosi. Was he better than LaRussa, or was the team going to win more games anyway? I would go with the latter myself.

I would add onto this and go a step further. I think with some guys, it was trying to do too much that was part of the issue.

When Adam Eaton was trying to hit a Grand Slam base hit with the bases empty it was pretty clear the Sox were trying way too hard to do way too much instantaneously.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)

Which if course highlights why these decisions are so difficult.

The mistake with Duke on Saturday night could have easily cost them the game. It was another amateur moment (like not challenging in the Detroit) that could have had a big negative impact. RV got lucky.

The team playing better is what they should do. I will give RV credit if the team wins 88 games and makes the playoffs but right now I just see another guy on the bench, one that continues to make simple mistakes that cost the team.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 18, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
The mistake with Duke on Saturday night could have easily cost them the game. It was another amateur moment (like not challenging in the Detroit) that could have had a big negative impact. RV got lucky.

The team playing better is what they should do. I will give RV credit if the team wins 88 games and makes the playoffs but right now I just see another guy on the bench, one that continues to make simple mistakes that cost the team.

Sigh people still see Saturday as a mistake? It would have been his 5th game in 7 days, and he was needed on the 16th as well. If Robin pitched him 6 of 8 days and Rovo got hurt or starter to get beat up a bit, Robin would get roasted for using him too much.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 18, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
Sigh people still see Saturday as a mistake? It would have been his 5th game in 7 days, and he was needed on the 16th as well. If Robin pitched him 6 of 8 days and Rovo got hurt or starter to get beat up a bit, Robin would get roasted for using him too much.

Which illustrates the reality that things aren't always as simple as they are made out to be. While going by the numbers is one thing, sometimes there are external reasons for not doing stuff like that.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 18, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)

It's not that. He got played for a fool by Oakland. Made a pitching change before the PH was officially announced. An error you expect a 1st year manger to perhaps make. Not a guy in his 4th.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
Which illustrates the reality that things aren't always as simple as they are made out to be. While going by the numbers is one thing, sometimes there are external reasons for not doing stuff like that.

He made a pitching change before the PH was announced. That it didn't blow up in his face was pure luck.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 18, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
It's not that. He got played for a fool by Oakland. Made a pitching change before the PH was officially announced. An error you expect a 1st year manger to perhaps make. Not a guy in his 4th.

Dan Hayes @CSNHayes

Heard in clubhouse that Angel Hernandez did signal that Stephen Vogt was in as a hitter Fri & reversed & said he was noting pinch runner.