GAME THREAD 5/15 - SOX @ OAK

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 15, 2015 -> 08:44 PM)
that's hindsight. ZIPS had around 3.0 for shark and 2.0 for Marcus. On paper, with lack of rotation options and more middlie infielders than starters, they made a move to try and get an extra win this year while still looking long term to sign shark.

If it doesn't work out with Shark they get the comp pick, which I believe is pegged at around a value of 5-7 million.

a challenge trade is a fairly common term for this type of deal -- where guys that are talented but for whatever reason aren't in favor in the org (money, performance, etc) are traided as the main pieces in a deal.

And I thought, and think, that even trying to pick up an extra win was silly, given the composition of the team. Just because there were more middle infielders than starters doesn't mean you deal away by far your best major-league ready middle infielder prospect. And everything out of the Shark camp indicated he'd be going to free agency, and wouldn't be giving away much if any of a discount.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 15, 2015 -> 10:48 PM)
And I thought, and think, that even trying to pick up an extra win was silly, given the composition of the team. Just because there were more middle infielders than starters doesn't mean you deal away by far your best major-league ready middle infielder prospect. And everything out of the Shark camp indicated he'd be going to free agency, and wouldn't be giving away much if any of a discount.

fair enough.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2015 -> 10:48 PM)
LaRoche makes that play, most likely

Yep, or at least knocks it down and rodon covers. Just stupid to play Jose so much at 1B. It tires him physically as well. I really wish someone would sit them all down and realize what is best.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 15, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
A rotation of Sale/Q/Danks/Rodon/Noesi is still damn scary

For us.

I didn't say leave the rotation like that. I've said I would have picked up Wandy Rodriguez off waivers for one. The Rangers did and he's been good for them, even including a meh start tonight.