Irreconcilable Differences

kitekrazy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Maybe this is the old man in me speaking, but if baseball makes you miserable, you are doing it wrong, and you need to step away. Sports is supposed to be something to get enjoyment out of and forget your troubles for a few hours. If it is stress, you are missing the point. Judging by many posters here, there are more than a few of you in this spot. Being a Sox fan isn't the most important thing in life. If it is causing you angst, find something else that brings you joy. I am a Sox fan because even a bad Sox game is better than a bad day at work, on the golf course, or just about anything else. I love baseball and I love my team. If your life changes because of a baseball team, your priorities are all wrong.

Baseball and the White Sox are two different things. I use to love those Joliet Jackhammer games. Where the Diamondbacks play is a great experience. Now that there is Summer baseball with future Sox players I will be going to them. I live a few miles from Camelback Ranch. It's fun to brag about that. I don't even watch the NFL anymore unless it's the Colts. Over hype and lack of journalists killed it for me.

I believe this team will never go forward until the organization is gutted out. The 25 men on the field is not the biggest problem. On the plus side the Sox signed one of the most desired GMs named Rick Hahn. We have no clue how much power he has. Probably not much because Buddy Bell needs to go and many of the minor league instructors.

Edited by kitekrazy

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 23, 2015 -> 11:30 AM)
Baseball and the White Sox are two different things. I use to love those Joliet Jackhammer games. Where the Diamondbacks play is a great experience. Now that there is Summer baseball with future Sox players I will be going to them. I live a few miles from Camelback Ranch. It's fun to brag about that. I don't even watch the NFL anymore unless it's the Colts. Over hype and lack of journalists killed it for me.

I believe this team will never go forward until the organization is gutted out. The 25 men on the field is not the biggest problem. On the plus side the Sox signed one of the most desired GMs named Rick Hahn. We have no clue how much power he has. Probably not much because Buddy Bell needs to go and many of the minor league instructors.

Know where Rick Hahn came from?? This organization that "needs to be gutted out".

Not sure what Buddy Bell has to do with Rick Hahn. I do think Bell is the one guy who has to go

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 23, 2015 -> 07:16 AM)
HA! Oh, I have, and with very good reason. The results of Jerry Reinsdorf's 35 years at the helm of this franchise have been a disaster. He has only one season during his tenure as owner that he can point to and really claim to be an exciting and successful one - '05. During the other 34 years, the team only won the division a measly four times, and the playoff appearances those four years were anything but memorable. And then we wonder why the fan base is dormant. Why we have to operate like a small market team because the team Reinsdorf routinely runs out there is not postseason caliber. That is really a horrible record of futility, no matter how you look at it. No sustainable success for three and a half decades now.

Meanwhile, over the years he's publicly fought with the likes of Harry Caray, Carlton Fisk and Larry Himes while remaining unapologetically loyal to people like Kenny Williams, Buddy Bell, Robin Ventura, etc. He dumps Harry Caray and WGN in the '80s in favor of SportsVision. He hires Hawk Harrelson to be GM and ends up losing Tony LaRussa in the process. He blackmails the state of Illinois to build him a new stadium while also providing him with a sweetheart lease deal, and then turns around and directs the construction of an abysmally designed ballpark. He fires Himes who drafted Frank Thomas, Ventura, Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Jason Bere, and who traded for Lance Johnson and Wilson Alvarez, claiming Himes got the team from "point A to point B", but he didn't think he could get the team to "point C", i.e., the World Series. In his judgement, Ron Schueler was the guy who could do that. How'd that work out for us! It could have happened in '94, except the Chairman chose his burning desire to break the players' union over the World Series aspirations of his team and fans that year. Terry Freaking Bevington! White flag trade. The list goes on and on and on with this failure.

This franchise is in desperate need of new leadership, strategy and vision from the very top. That is very clear. Jerry Reinsdorf has been the owner now for 35 years, and he holds claim to a very unimpressive record of achievement. Yes, the WS championship in '05 was amazing, but that does and cannot mask the other 34 years. The White Sox need new ownership. It's that simple.

I think they lost a generation or two of fans because of that. There is a Sox fan who is researching the decline of the fan base.

I guess I don't take this stuff as seriously as some of you. Obviously I'm a huge Sox fan but I don't let the results of games affect my mood in real life.

I don't hate the Cubs. I'm just indifferent. I really don't care how well they're playing. It doesn't affect me. I'm a fan of a baseball team, not a member of a club or gang. I have no reason to care about them.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 23, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
HA! Oh, I have, and with very good reason. The results of Jerry Reinsdorf's 35 years at the helm of this franchise have been a disaster. He has only one season during his tenure as owner that he can point to and really claim to be an exciting and successful one - '05. During the other 34 years, the team only won the division a measly four times, and the playoff appearances those four years were anything but memorable. And then we wonder why the fan base is dormant. Why we have to operate like a small market team because the team Reinsdorf routinely runs out there is not postseason caliber. That is really a horrible record of futility, no matter how you look at it. No sustainable success for three and a half decades now.

Meanwhile, over the years he's publicly fought with the likes of Harry Caray, Carlton Fisk and Larry Himes while remaining unapologetically loyal to people like Kenny Williams, Buddy Bell, Robin Ventura, etc. He dumps Harry Caray and WGN in the '80s in favor of SportsVision. He hires Hawk Harrelson to be GM and ends up losing Tony LaRussa in the process. He blackmails the state of Illinois to build him a new stadium while also providing him with a sweetheart lease deal, and then turns around and directs the construction of an abysmally designed ballpark. He fires Himes who drafted Frank Thomas, Ventura, Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Jason Bere, and who traded for Lance Johnson and Wilson Alvarez, claiming Himes got the team from "point A to point B", but he didn't think he could get the team to "point C", i.e., the World Series. In his judgement, Ron Schueler was the guy who could do that. How'd that work out for us! It could have happened in '94, except the Chairman chose his burning desire to break the players' union over the World Series aspirations of his team and fans that year. Terry Freaking Bevington! White flag trade. The list goes on and on and on with this failure.

This franchise is in desperate need of new leadership, strategy and vision from the very top. That is very clear. Jerry Reinsdorf has been the owner now for 35 years, and he holds claim to a very unimpressive record of achievement. Yes, the WS championship in '05 was amazing, but that does and cannot mask the other 34 years. The White Sox need new ownership. It's that simple.

Not a bad post. I think most of us give Jerry a pass because he did deliver one WS, which isn't bad.

As far as the Sox fans who are praising the Cubs in any way, please stop. That's just silly and senseless. Screw the Cubs. They've been a total joke. If this rebuild turns them into a perennial title contender like the Blackhawks in hockey, then we can talk. But for now, please, the Cubs are an ultimate joke.

No matter what happens.. ill live and die a whitesox fan. No matter how bad. Again, being a whitesox fan is one of the greatest gifts my mom gave me. Whotesox forever. When i die i want my whitesox cap in my casket burried with me. Im coaching a 13 -15 yr old team. That teams name is the whitesox. Im teaching my grandson to be a whitesox fan... ( kinda hard being born in NY) one of the greatest gifts i could give him

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2015 -> 02:05 AM)
A moment like we saw with the Paul Konerko ceremony is everything that is right with baseball. Those are the moments you should take from the game and cherish.

I loved the most the one fan saying on the video the one thing he remembered most about Paulie was not his WS grand slam or the other stuff but, "the fact he signed with Sox every time his contract was up."

That got me to thinking ... that really was fricking impressive. Thank u Paulie!

Edited by greg775

The cubs are about to push the white sox into obscurity. They are fun to watch. Every move has worked. The good ole boys network that is the white sox is a joke. Bell Ventura and lack of organizational philosophy are the issues. The next road trip after coming back 3-9 with hawks doneand cubs in first place will be the end of any white sox hope in this city for a few years.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 23, 2015 -> 07:16 AM)

2005 Sox and Jerry /KW= 85 Bears and Ditka

Years and years of underachieving are forgotten because they struck gold once

What we are seeing is a redefinition of how people become fans of a team. Prior to the 1990s being an out of town fan was very difficult. Almost no news, very few games you could see live or even on TV. Basically only box scores. You were, or became, a fan of your local team out of convenience as much as anything like family tradition. Today, we live in a different world and becoming a fan of a team is evolving. In out instant gratification society, switching teams is really simple. Change the channel, switch a couple book marks, and you are instantly a fan of a new team.

Its a generational thing. I have a couple players on my golf team whose sports allegiances switch from city to city. Spurs, Patriots, whom ever is winning . . . Bears suck? Yeah, they do. Let me pick some team that's winning like you did and we'll debate some more.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 24, 2015 -> 07:58 AM)
The cubs are about to push the white sox into obscurity. They are fun to watch. Every move has worked. The good ole boys network that is the white sox is a joke. Bell Ventura and lack of organizational philosophy are the issues. The next road trip after coming back 3-9 with hawks doneand cubs in first place will be the end of any white sox hope in this city for a few years.

;) The Cubs haven't been around since 2005 when the Sox pushed them into obscurity. That was of course after the Cubs pushed the Sox into the obscurity of St. Petersburg, Florida in the 1990s.

Historical perspective.

When some of us here started following the team in the mid 1970s the last playoff appearance was in 1959, prior to that 1919 (which was a scandal). The next playoff appearance wouldn't be until 1983. That was a 24 year gap. Yet the team was there, it survived just fine. Since then the about once a decade there is a post season appearance. After 1983 was 1993, being swept in 2000, and finally 2005 and 2008.

The past 15 years has been the greatest period of White Sox baseball in the team's history.

And people want to switch teams.

Put away the red Sox and Yankee gear and come on back every ten years or so when the team is winning.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 24, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
Historical perspective.

When some of us here started following the team in the mid 1970s the last playoff appearance was in 1959, prior to that 1919 (which was a scandal). The next playoff appearance wouldn't be until 1983. That was a 24 year gap. Yet the team was there, it survived just fine. Since then the about once a decade there is a post season appearance. After 1983 was 1993, being swept in 2000, and finally 2005 and 2008.

The past 15 years has been the greatest period of White Sox baseball in the team's history.

And people want to switch teams.

Put away the red Sox and Yankee gear and come on back every ten years or so when the team is winning.

1951-1967, they didn't have a losing season. It was a different time with different expectations, so I guess it depends on your definition of greatest.

2005 was great, but in the wildcard era of 1995-2014, to only have three playoff appearances in generally a bad division, in the biggest market, isn't good enough.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 24, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
1951-1967, they didn't have a losing season. It was a different time with different expectations, so I guess it depends on your definition of greatest.

2005 was great, but in the wildcard era of 1995-2014, to only have three playoff appearances in generally a bad division, in the biggest market, isn't good enough.

But it was also harder to make the playoffs back then as well.

Just NL and AL champions....no divisions, no wild cards, no second wild cards, no DH.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
Yeah reading the posts in this thread, I don't know where anyone would get the words "fickle" and "bandwagon" from when talking about the White Sox fan base. I hope you all enjoy your next team.

Whatever. Fix the title with irreconcilable spelled right.

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/re_...ranked/18840230

Maybe they are merely what everyone predicted them to be...

Chicago White Sox: They were a team that made a lot of additions, but not the one type that puts an entire club over the top. They are a bit worse than would be expected thus far, floating a bit underneath .500. They will be better than that in the long term, but not the type of better that does much more than play tough-out spoiler for teams actually in the race.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm a baseball fan first an foremost. My favorite team is the Chi. White Sox an has been since the early 60's and will always be my team. I've seen a lot over the years. The worst team I think I ever saw was the 2013 White sox and I watched 158 games so I guess I could be called a die-hard fan. I have not given up on this team this yr. but boy it gets hard when you have expectations of a better team. I believe the entire coaching staff an a few others should be sent packing but know it'll never happen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
As far as the Sox fans who are praising the Cubs in any way, please stop. That's just silly and senseless. Screw the Cubs. They've been a total joke. If this rebuild turns them into a perennial title contender like the Blackhawks in hockey, then we can talk. But for now, please, the Cubs are an ultimate joke.

Sure, they were the ultimate joke. So were the Blackhawks.. but I started taking them seriously before they became a perennial title contender. I didn't have to wait until now to talk about the Hawks not being a joke anymore. I know something good when I see it, and if you think the Cubs are still the biggest joke, then the jokes on you, and you're just fooling yourself. Sure, they may not even win anything ever, that just speaks to how tough it is to win a World Series. But it's certain, they have made many correct moves in the past few years. That's no joke.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 24, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)

My point is they survived those seasons just fine. "Isn't good enough"? Maybe for some people, and they can find a new team to root for. Perhaps two or three teams as the season progresses. My earlier point is that just may be the new tradition of choosing a team to root for. Geographic reasons just are not as important as they use to be. I'm trying not to judge. Picking a new team each May (July, August) could be the new thing. Imagine baseball if all the sub .500 teams were run out of business by fans that ignored them. We could reverse all the expansion, get back down to a dozen or so teams, all with tremendous talent. Towns like Pittsburg, Toronto, Chicago (Sox) and Miami might just be the new minor league cities.

Why support losing teams? Cheer for the winners, drop the losers.

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 24, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
that just speaks to how tough it is to win a World Series.

Ironic in this thread. Winning a World Series 10 years ago means less than not winning one on over 100 years if you currently have a(nother) great team.

2005 was a great thing, but if you're still riding the wave off that, then you're a better person than me.

Baseball in wild card era is about sustained success, and hope you win the postseason tournament.

That said, I'm a Sox fan. Always have been, always will be. I just want them to be better at baseball and have some players that you get behind, win or lose.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
Yeah reading the posts in this thread, I don't know where anyone would get the words "fickle" and "bandwagon" from when talking about the White Sox fan base.

Yes, thank you! You are exactly right - where does anyone get those silly words! What we are talking about here is performance and how a fan base responds to that performance. Only three playoff appearances since '95 from the only big market team in a generally weak division? Not much for a fan base to get excited about, now is there. And that's precisely the point by several rather astute posters on this thread who are merely suggesting we do a little more of THAT - getting into the playoffs more often and creating some excitement to energize the base. The fans sure seemed to like that in '05, as evidenced by the waiting list for season tickets and the nearly three million fans through the turnstiles the following season.

The way forward is more winning by the team and less unnecessary disparaging of the fan base.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 24, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
Yes, thank you! You are exactly right - where does anyone get those silly words! What we are talking about here is performance and how a fan base responds to that performance. Only three playoff appearances since '95 from the only big market team in a generally weak division? Not much for a fan base to get excited about, now is there. And that's precisely the point by several rather astute posters on this thread who are merely suggesting we do a little more of THAT - getting into the playoffs more often and creating some excitement to energize the base. The fans sure seemed to like that in '05, as evidenced by the waiting list for season tickets and the nearly three million fans through the turnstiles the following season.

The way forward is more winning by the team and less unnecessary disparaging of the fan base.

The way forward is quitting, at least according this thread.

We'll see you all when the bandwagon fills up again.