Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

The Yankees starting staff isn't very good, and now Pineda is headed to the DL. After seeing the big deals for Price, Hamels and Cueto, are they going to make a splash themselves? Hypothetical: Suppose they get desperate/ultra-aggressive and all of a sudden offer Aaron Judge in a package for Samardzija. Even with the Sox recent hot streak, would you take it?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
The Yankees starting staff isn't very good, and now Pineda is headed to the DL. After seeing the big deals for Price, Hamels and Cueto, are they going to make a splash themselves? Hypothetical: Suppose they get desperate/ultra-aggressive and all of a sudden offer Aaron Judge in a package for Samardzija. Even with the Sox recent hot streak, would you take it?

That'd be tough to say no to, but I doubt they'd offer Judge.

Nice we'll miss Pineda this weekend though.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
That'd be tough to say no to, but I doubt they'd offer Judge.

Nice we'll miss Pineda this weekend though.

Would've missed him anyway. Missing Tanaka, too. We get Sabathia, Eovaldi, Nova.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
Would've missed him anyway. Missing Tanaka, too. We get Sabathia, Eovaldi, Nova.

Not if his start was just pushed back from today to this weekend, which is what I read about an hour ago. Now he's DL bound.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Not if his start was just pushed back from today to this weekend, which is what I read about an hour ago. Now he's DL bound.

My bad, didn't know he was scratched. Just knew he was scheduled to pitch today.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 06:49 AM)
Anyone else think we can make a potential run at the wild card spot even without Shark? If they dealt him for an MLB ready bat (or bat already in the majors with team control), I think Johnson can be solid enough to hold his own.

It's possible. Toronto is overloaded with bats Maybe Shark for Chris Colabello . He probably makes Avi look like a good fielder though I haven't checked. Hitting.312 .839 OPS .900 against RH's . Is 31, journeyman mostly ,having career year . Equally good against righties and lefties batting average the same . Doesn't walk much but 132 OPS+.

As you suggested it's possible still to win without Shark but maybe Toronto would still like him or might want something else for Colabello. If we trade Shark though an extra reliever might be good too considering Johnson most likely won't pitch late into games like Shark.

Keep Shark and still get Colabello then could try Johnson in the 5 spot and move Danks to long relief. Have Danks start once in a while to limit Johnson's and Rodon's innings.

Also it helps Toronto even more who is our competitor for the WC. And giving up Colabello without Shark seems unlikely unless they want a few B level prospects to restock their farm a bit after the trades they already made giving up their prospects.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
It's possible. Toronto is overloaded with bats Maybe Shark for Chris Colabello . He probably makes Avi look like a good fielder though I haven't checked. Hitting.312 .839 OPS .900 against RH's . Is 31, journeyman mostly ,having career year . Equally good against righties and lefties batting average the same . Doesn't walk much but 132 OPS+.

As you suggested it's possible still to win without Shark but maybe Toronto would still like him or might want something else for Colabello. If we trade Shark though an extra reliever might be good too considering Johnson most likely won't pitch late into games like Shark.

Keep Shark and still get Colabello then could try Johnson in the 5 spot and move Danks to long relief. Have Danks start once in a while to limit Johnson's and Rodon's innings.

Also it helps Toronto even more who is our competitor for the WC. And giving up Colabello without Shark seems unlikely unless they want a few B level prospects to restock their farm a bit after the trades they already made giving up their prospects.

Yikes. And Colabello is a 1B that the jays play in the OF out of necessity. He actually would be much worse than Avi. He also just generally sucks balls at baseball...I can guarantee you the Sox have zero interest in him unless its virtually free.

Shark for a 31 year old journeyman outfielder? I think I'll pass. Colabello's stats only look good because he had a hot May. He's put up .752 and .714 OPS's in June and July. He also makes Avi look like a Gold Glover. To show just how horrendous his fielding is, he is a negative fWAR player this year despite his 131 wRC+.

Come on man, that is brutal.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:00 AM)
Yikes. And Colabello is a 1B that the jays play in the OF out of necessity. He actually would be much worse than Avi. He also just generally sucks balls at baseball...I can guarantee you the Sox have zero interest in him unless its virtually free.

Can't argue with the year he's having though . He's been pounding the ball. And if the Sox can get him for peanuts and no Shark he's perfect to get a lot of AB's as a PH and DH against lefties. Sox do need a bat and that's what he is. Surprisingly Toronto still might want to keep him since he's been great there. Toronto lacks depth in the outfield. Their rookie 2nd baseman has a sore shoulder and Bautista a troubling hamstring. They're still looking for pitching and position players.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
Can't argue with the year he's having though . He's been pounding the ball. And if the Sox can get him for peanuts and no Shark he's perfect to get a lot of AB's as a PH and DH against lefties. Sox do need a bat and that's what he is. Surprisingly Toronto still might want to keep him since he's been great there. Toronto lacks depth in the outfield. Their rookie 2nd baseman has a sore shoulder and Bautista a troubling hamstring. They're still looking for pitching and position players.

Yeah, off the waiver wire maybe to be in a DH platoon or occasional fill in 1B. He should never ever be in the OF, and you definitely don't trade one of the best 25 SP in the game for him.

He sucks, man. Yeah he can hit LHP a bit, but that is it. He is a really cool story though.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)

He pounded the ball for about 25 games. Since June 1st he's had a .273/.313/.424 slash. That's basically league average. He also may be the worst defensive outfielder in baseball. He is definitely not the answer. Unless of course the question is "name me a s***ty baseball player?"

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
Come on man, that is brutal.

I'm being realistic . All this stuff about Upton and Bruce just ain't happening and Colabello's OPS+ is 132 Upton's is 116 and he's a FA next year, Bruce 125 another .250 NL hitter likely to hit .230 in AL and free agent in 2017 ,Cespedes 125 and a free agent. All likely to want one of our top 5 prospects.

The Sox need a bat who doesn't get paid much and won't ravage the farm . Have you even looked at Colabello's hitting stats this year ? Right now the way the Sox are built without much power Colabello has 9 but is hitting .312. He wouldn't kill rallies with that high average plus he'd be tied for 2nd on the Sox in HR's.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1m1 minute ago New York, USA

no surprise, teams have checked back in on samardzija. chisox 3 1/2 out. still not that likely to deal him.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the Sox should deal Samardzija. The Sox have some tough teams between them and the second wild card.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the Sox should deal Samardzija. The Sox have some tough teams between them and the second wild card.

If somebody rivals the package that Detroit got for Price, then yes, trade him, but I don't think anybody is going to offer that much.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)

And the issue is the teams are making moves to get better. Sox have been sitting on the sideline going are we in or are we out

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
Yeah, off the waiver wire maybe to be in a DH platoon or occasional fill in 1B. He should never ever be in the OF, and you definitely don't trade one of the best 25 SP in the game for him.

He sucks, man. Yeah he can hit LHP a bit, but that is it. He is a really cool story though.

If Shark isn't traded it's a comp pick most likely who will never make it to the show. When the Sox don't grab a big bat or give up our prospects for a free agent you'll be singing a different tune about how stupid the Sox are for giving up prospects or not trading Samardzija. I can see it coming . Maybe not you specifically but many on here.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)
I'm being realistic . All this stuff about Upton and Bruce just ain't happening and Colabello's OPS+ is 132 Upton's is 116 and he's a FA next year, Bruce 125 another .250 NL hitter likely to hit .230 in AL and free agent in 2017 ,Cespedes 125 and a free agent. All likely to want one of our top 5 prospects.

The Sox need a bat who doesn't get paid much and won't ravage the farm . Have you even looked at Colabello's hitting stats this year ? Right now the way the Sox are built without much power Colabello has 9 but is hitting .312. He wouldn't kill rallies with that high average plus he'd be tied for 2nd on the Sox in HR's.

Why would Toronto trade him for a bag of balls though, especially to a team they're competing with? He serves a purpose on their team. Don't forget, the 70-92 MN Twins DFA'd him last season after a similarly hot start to the year.

I think the reason you're getting such a negative response is that you actually proposed trading Shark for him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1m1 minute ago New York, USA

no surprise, teams have checked back in on samardzija. chisox 3 1/2 out. still not that likely to deal him.

I honestly wouldn't be upset if they dealt him. Prices seem high, and we're going to cool down.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
Why shouldn't we be wary of .250 power hitting high K guys coming from the NL ?

You can be wary of .250 power hitting K guys all you want, that's fine. Why does it matter if they come from the NL?