2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY TWO

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
White Sox are now 5 rounds into mlbdraft without selecting a position player. Does this increase the odds of hitting the Cuban market?

My thinking exactly....

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
White Sox are now 5 rounds into mlbdraft without selecting a position player. Does this increase the odds of hitting the Cuban market?

Don't think there's any correlation, as you're not counting on the guys picked here to be an impact player.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
I really like the Stephens pick. Strong track record at a good school. Big time second offering. Senior signing so should be under slot. I may be reaching but Erwin/Stephens both look like under slot to me, maybe the Sox have some high school upside in the next few rounds.

Any scouting report on what he throws?

Five rounds in and three pitchers, no hitters. It seems like the organization thinks they have a better chance of turning a meh college pitcher into a legit prospect or average major leaguer than they do turning any kind of hitting prospect into something similar. Considering their track record in both regards, it's not really a bad strategy.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
I am ignorant on MLB draft rules. Why only 3 players in 5 rounds? Signing free agents or something?

They lost their 2nd and 3rd round picks and ability to spend the corresponding slot values for signing Robertson and Melky.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
Don't think there's any correlation, as you're not counting on the guys picked here to be an impact player.

Unless they are planning to go after guys like Eddy Martinez out of Cuba to make up for the lack of drafted prospect hitters.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
I really like the Stephens pick. Strong track record at a good school. Big time second offering. Senior signing so should be under slot. I may be reaching but Erwin/Stephens both look like under slot to me, maybe the Sox have some high school upside in the next few rounds.

injury redshirted Junior, I believe.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Unless they are planning to go after guys like Eddy Martinez out of Cuba to make up for the lack of drafted prospect hitters.

I don't really think that has anything to do with not drafting a hitter in your first 3 picks

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
I get confused on red shirt stipulations but he pitched in four different Rice seasons so I think he's a senior right?

If it is like basketball, a red shirt gives you another year. I think technically he could go back to Rice and pitch for another year, if he wanted.

I don't mind what Hahn & co. are doing right now if they are in fact saving $$$ for a bigger splash past round 10, I'm also kind of surprised Blake Hickman has lasted this long. New to pitching having made the transition from catcher, also he's from the southwest side of Chicago if I'm not mistaken. Raw with a big frame plays to our system's strengths.

Since I'm not sure how the draft rules work, can someone clarify for me? If we don't spend all our allotted money, and since we have a lower amount allotted to us because of the loss of our 2nd and 3rd rounder, does that mean we have more money for the international market? Can we throw more money at Martinez?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
Since I'm not sure how the draft rules work, can someone clarify for me? If we don't spend all our allotted money, and since we have a lower amount allotted to us because of the loss of our 2nd and 3rd rounder, does that mean we have more money for the international market? Can we throw more money at Martinez?

No.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)

Depends how sox view that savings. Technically we didn't really save any money on our 2nd and 3rd round picks as those were a result of signing Robertson and Cabrera to big $ contracts.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
They lost their 2nd and 3rd round picks and ability to spend the corresponding slot values for signing Robertson and Melky.

OK, thanks. And that is because those 2 were offered qualifying offers and rejected them?