Well, it's that time of year again....2015 edition

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't even quite be bad enough to know when to lose.

The funny thing in all of this is that it will wipe out a decent percentage of moves that Hahn and Co. might have been tempted to make, so that's not a bad thing.

The biggest concern has to be that taking some of those options off the board will force the White Sox to make a trade like the proposed one for Todd Frazier that will end up causing the team to not only tread water, but really push contention into close to fantasyland and force the inevitable trades of Sale and/or Abreu a year or two down the line.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)

The funny thing in all of this is that it will wipe out a decent percentage of moves that Hahn and Co. might have been tempted to make, so that's not a bad thing.

The biggest concern has to be that taking some of those options off the board will force the White Sox to make a trade like the proposed one for Todd Frazier that will end up causing the team to not only tread water, but really push contention into close to fantasyland and force the inevitable trades of Sale and/or Abreu a year or two down the line.

This is dead on! At least it forces them to stay away from the free agent market and increases the probability of making trades. Apart of me hopes they sell off veteran assets and continue to focus on building up that next core of players. The reality is that they will likely bring in a veteran 3b like Frazier, pick up Ramirez's option at SS and once again play ring around the Rosie with Johnson and Sanchez at 2B. Don't even get me started on the catcher position. This team cannot commit to a direction at all. Either get younger and let the kids develop (which should be priority #1) or keep confusing yourselves and your agitated fan base by attempting to shore up positions with veterans which hasn't worked AT ALL since 2009.

I'm praying for a two year rebuild to FNALLY shore up the SS, 3B, 2B and Catcher positions with young talent. Since they don't know how to draft position players, filling up those holes will likely have to come via the trade market.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
We haven't. We need to lose today, and Seattle needs to win.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
If we lose today and Seattle wins we can still get the 10th pick.

Thank you. I hate cheering against the Sox, but today will be one of those rare days I do.

I'm done caring, but hope the Sox end up at 10 somehow.

Here's the rest of the standings for draft order. They haven't updated the A's/Mariners game last night, but the order is the same.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/reversestandings

I still think it would be a good idea to have some type of lottery system to make the outcomes of these late season games fairly meaningless.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)

I have to say, your second paragraph made me feel better.

Realistically, this team's not going anywhere in the future without Tim Anderson playing a role at SS or 2B.

He has to be a dynamic player...because you just know that there's no way to fix 3B, 2B, C, RF and DH in one off-season anyway.

At least this way they're pretty much forced to find a 2B from among Sanchez/Johnson/Saladino and give Garcia and Thompson a year to battle it out and/or eliminate themselves from 2017 contention.

The problem keeps coming back to those two critical positions, 3B and C...and whether you can count on Johnson/Montas/Fulmer (and there might be no choice) enough to trade Quintana or even Sale.

Logic says that trading Quintana is the best way to have a chance to win it all (keeping Sale as #1)...but the odds of making the playoffs are much higher with the talent you'd be getting in return for Chris versus Jose. Neither one's a good alternative, obviously, but both are better than trying to miraculously patch this thing up through mid-tier free agent signings.

Even if we added Zobrist/Heyward/Gordon/Cespedes, it wouldn't do much more than make us a .500 team in all likelihood, and that would push the budget to the absolute limit for those last three. Therefore, a trade's the only way to fix (potentially) 2-3 problem areas at once.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
I wish people would get Heyward out of their minds now, instead of building it up as a real possibility.

I always thought that Heyward was too much of a wide-open swinger and he's been overly-hyped since his rookie year.

He has less than 40 HRs total in the last 3 seasons.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
LOL. Completely agree. Not happening. Think more along the lines of Ben Zobrist and possible trades.

Agree. What does everyone think it would take to get Longoria? Danish, Montas, Anderson, Michaelczewski? The only way I'd deal someone like Anderson was if it was for someone with lots of control left

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Agree. What does everyone think it would take to get Longoria? Danish, Montas, Anderson, Michaelczewski? The only way I'd deal someone like Anderson was if it was for someone with lots of control left

Not sure I want Longoria anymore. His bat has fallen off a lot the last two seasons and he's about to be on the wrong side of 30. In the right deal I'd take him but being the face of the Rays right now he'd probably cost too much for it to be worth it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
I wish people would get Heyward out of their minds now, instead of building it up as a real possibility.

Right, though it is fun to think about a defensive OF of Eaton-Thompson-Heyward. Death to fly balls.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
Right, though it is fun to think about a defensive OF of Eaton-Thompson-Heyward. Death to fly balls.

Seriously, after seeing how BAD our defense was this year, I would really be curious to see us just LOAD UP on defensive talents and see how much better our pitching staff really becomes. Acquire someone like Kevin Pillar for CF. Have Eaton-Pillar-Thompson in the OF. Put Saladino at 3B, acquire Hech from the Marlins and have him play SS, or take Simmons from the Braves. Leave Carlos Sanchez at 2B. This team would continue to suck at scoring runs, but our defense and pitching would be other worldly.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
Seriously, after seeing how BAD our defense was this year, I would really be curious to see us just LOAD UP on defensive talents and see how much better our pitching staff really becomes. Acquire someone like Kevin Pillar for CF. Have Eaton-Pillar-Thompson in the OF. Put Saladino at 3B, acquire Hech from the Marlins and have him play SS, or take Simmons from the Braves. Leave Carlos Sanchez at 2B. This team would continue to suck at scoring runs, but our defense and pitching would be other worldly.

i like it. snarky...... :lol:

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)

The thing I like about good defense is that it usually doesn't slump and is more consistent than good offense.