Dave Cameron: Sox Should Sell Sale, Q, and Abreu

flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
I think they'll try because that's what they do, I think it will work as well as it has for the past half decade, and we'll be up to 5 losing seasons in 6 years.

ouch.... harsh when you look at the realty of that when it is written down on paper.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Astros and Cubs weren't build through the proceeds of sell-offs. They were built through the draft. Oh, they got pieces here and there through trades (esp. Cubs), but it's evaluation, development and drafting. The Sox are poor at all 3.

The only team that sells well is the As.

interesting point.....

the jury is still out on the A's comment. no offense

Comment From Eminor3rd

Do you think the Sox actually WILL shop Sale?

Dave Cameron: No. Teams are extremely reluctant to trade their franchise players these days, even if it could make their team better. It’s risk aversion, mostly. I don’t think Sale or Abreu or going anywhere. I could maybe see them moving Quintana.

Comment From Eminor3rd

Which contender do you think actually SHOULD give up what it would take to get Sale. For example, if you were the Dodgers, would you be willing to part with a package that starts with Urias or Seager?

Dave Cameron: I don’t think the Dodgers actually need another ace. In terms of which team should probably be motivated to most overpay for Sale, maybe Toronto. Their window to win is only getting smaller, and he would have a dramatic impact on their postseason chances.

Comment From Bret

Curious as to why you view Toronto’s window as getting smaller. I think the makeup of the team is changing – Bautista and Edwin will most likely be gone after 2016, and obviously Jose Reyes is in decline – but they have a lot of interesting young pitching (Stroman, Hutchison, Sanchez and Norris, if you like them, form a nice cheap rotation core in ’16 and beyond) and they should have a lot of money to spend. Obviously, not opposed to a move for Sale though!

Dave Cameron: Young pitching is fool’s gold. Out of those four, you should be happy if two turn into anything reliable long-term, and only hitting on one of them would be totally normal.

Comment From BDF

Not a White Sox fan, but I thought your post this morning was insane. Aside from the fact that trading 3 really great pieces for six potential pieces is dubious (although there’s a rational quantitative argument), fans just don’t want to see a horrible team with no stars, even if mean a lower chance of winning the World Series over the next 12 years. The team I’m a fan of (they rhyme with “Billy’s”) is horrendous … and I still don’t want them to trade our star pitcher. I’m going to watch them. I want to want to watch them. Both become much more difficult if they’re, you know, ess.

Dave Cameron: And this is why organizations aren’t run by fans.

Comment From Bridgeport Joe

To get Sale, the Dodgers would have to do Pederson, Urias, Holmes, one of De Leon and Anderson, and take Cabrera and LaRoche back.

Dave Cameron: And we found the White Sox fan.

So Cameron uses an example he now admits the Dodgers would never do as a reason the White Sox need to trade this guy, and then has the nerve to tell another guy "that's why organizations aren't run by fans." Last I checked, he isn't making baseball decisions for anyone either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
So Cameron uses an example he now admits the Dodgers would never do as a reason the White Sox need to trade this guy, and then has the nerve to tell another guy "that's why organizations aren't run by fans." Last I checked, he isn't making baseball decisions for anyone either.

Yeah he's pretty much an unabashed a-hole.

He says trade Sale for prospects and Toronto is the team to do it. The Toronto fan asks about it, and he says young pitching is fools good, be lucky if 2 of 4 turn out and 1 out of 4 would be normal. So trade Sale for 4 prospects and hope 2 work out., but only bet on 1. That is a great idea. I can't believe teams aren't lining up offering Cameron their GM job.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
He says trade Sale for prospects and Toronto is the team to do it. The Toronto fan asks about it, and he says young pitching is fools good, be lucky if 2 of 4 turn out and 1 out of 4 would be normal. So trade Sale for 4 prospects and hope 2 work out., but only bet on 1. That is a great idea. I can't believe teams aren't lining up offering Cameron their GM job.

Yeah, I don't want to trade Chris Sale at all, but if it WAS going to happen, I'd certainly hope it wasn't Toronto, because all their elite prospects are pitchers.

To be fair to Cameron, he said Toronto is the team that makes the most sense to go balls out for him, he didn't say that the Sox should prefer Toronto's eventual offer.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
Yeah, I don't want to trade Chris Sale at all, but if it WAS going to happen, I'd certainly hope it wasn't Toronto, because all their elite prospects are pitchers.

To be fair to Cameron, he said Toronto is the team that makes the most sense to go balls out for him, he didn't say that the Sox should prefer Toronto's eventual offer.

There is no reason to be fair with him. He used the Dodgers as an extreme example, and then told you it wouldn't happen. The guy is full of s***.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
His proposed Sale to the Cubs trade is Schwarber, Baez, and Alcantara. I can't respect him after that proposal, to call it a joke is a complete understatement. I would burn down Rick Hahn's office if he made that trade.

That is a ludicrous offer that I immediately would turn down.

The conversation starts with Bryant and Russell + additional prospects. The Cubs wouldn't be able to stomach giving up what it would take to acquire Sale.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
Stop the silliness. Keep Sale, Abreu, Q, Rodon and our new No. 1 draft pick and trade EVERYBODY else ASAP.

The issue is that nobody else wants those players, we don't have the minor leaguers to replace them and we haven't the means to replace them. That's why I think they should trade assets to acquire more pieces. IMO, we need a C, 2nd, SS, 3rd, LF, and probably CF and RF too.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
The real question is who will put on the brakes in the front office now and preach patience...one step forward, two steps back, etc.?

We've been doing the one step forward, two steps back since 2006. We should try TWO steps forward with only one back. Makes for much better forward progress. :D

Cameron is an complete and utter dick that gives saber guys a bad name. You think Keith Law is arrogant? At least Law watches hundreds of prospects live every year BEFORE he writes an opinion on them. Cameron's genius is writing a huge volume of s*** and hoping some of it sticks.

This guy once suggested trading John Danks for Jose Lopez. This was when Danks was a good pitcher, pre injury. He also said that Robinson Cano would be lucky to have a career as a utility infielder and said he was one of the worst gloves he ever saw at 2B. Sometimes you wonder if he actually believes the s*** he writes.

Oh and there was that time he ranked the Seattle Mariners the 6th best ORG in baseball. Uh, ok, maybe 6th from the bottom.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)
What would the Dodgers want with Adam LaRoche or Melky Cabrera?

Some trade proposals are just....

why, i like the idea of Russell, Schwarber, Rizzo, Mark Zagunis, Kyle Hendricks and maybe underwood

for

Q, Beck, LaRoche, Sanchez, Davidson and Engel