Quickest fix for a return to postseason?

Dunt

We are all frustrated, but I think we can all agree we want this franchise to contend in the very near future. The franchise is at a critical juncture and I have a hard time seeing them blowing this up and doing an entire rebuild. So, in your opinions, what is the best way to make this team a playoff contender in 2016? If you were GM, how would you approach this trade deadline and offseason? IMO, the quickest fix for this team is to shore up the defense this offseason. Avi either needs to be moved to DH or moved permanently, Alexei needs to be replaced, Conor should not be a starting 3B in the MLB, and Tyler Flowers needs to be gone. I know the Sox will likely be tight for cash, but they are going to need to spend if they have any intentions of cleaning up this mess. I think either Matt Wieters or Alex Gordon needs to be a top priority on the FA market. While people criticized the Russell Martin contract originally, he would have made such an overwhelming difference for this team. Great 2 hole hitter, leader in the clubhouse, and an excellent catcher. I really hope the Sox dont make the same mistake in FA this year. Two way players cost a lot of money for a reason. This franchise cannot continue to ignore the value of defense like it has over the last decade. I think they stand a legitimate shot at making noise next season with largely the same rotation and shoring up their defense. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
We are all frustrated, but I think we can all agree we want this franchise to contend in the very near future. The franchise is at a critical juncture and I have a hard time seeing them blowing this up and doing an entire rebuild. So, in your opinions, what is the best way to make this team a playoff contender in 2016? If you were GM, how would you approach this trade deadline and offseason? IMO, the quickest fix for this team is to shore up the defense this offseason. Avi either needs to be moved to DH or moved permanently, Alexei needs to be replaced, Conor should not be a starting 3B in the MLB, and Tyler Flowers needs to be gone. I know the Sox will likely be tight for cash, but they are going to need to spend if they have any intentions of cleaning up this mess. I think either Matt Wieters or Alex Gordon needs to be a top priority on the FA market. While people criticized the Russell Martin contract originally, he would have made such an overwhelming difference for this team. Great 2 hole hitter, leader in the clubhouse, and an excellent catcher. I really hope the Sox dont make the same mistake in FA this year. Two way players cost a lot of money for a reason. This franchise cannot continue to ignore the value of defense like it has over the last decade. I think they stand a legitimate shot at making noise next season with largely the same rotation and shoring up their defense. What are your thoughts?

I can't give you specific names but I am CONVINCED fully my plan of keeping Sale, Q, Rodon, and our new draftee pitcher to go with Abreu and A. Garcia (I guess he's a fine prospect still) and trading all the pieces Hahn acquired last offseason is our best bet for immediate success. Those are a lot of bodies to trade and I'll leave it to him to fix the problems with those bodies as trade bait. Our ONLY hope is to ride what could be a top of the line rotation to the top.

It would help if we could get in another division though. Sox are patsies to division foes in Central.

There are no quick fixes. If it was easy everyone would do it. At this point they need to call a meeting with Jose, Eaton, Avi, Q, Robertson and Sale and ask them (well not Avi and Eaton, but they should be in the meeting imo) if they want to stick around for a 3 year rebuild. If they don't, ship them out.

Team needs a full cleanse, including a couple years of top 3 picks.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
There are no quick fixes. If it was easy everyone would do it. At this point they need to call a meeting with Jose, Eaton, Avi, Q, Robertson and Sale and ask them (well not Avi and Eaton, but they should be in the meeting imo) if they want to stick around for a 3 year rebuild. If they don't, ship them out.

Team needs a full cleanse, including a couple years of top 3 picks.

If you are going for a 3 yr rebuild, which I do not dispute, there is no sense keeping Robertson. Relief pitchers are too unpredictable to hope they will be needed in 3 years. Better to trade him now while he has some value.

As Flowers becomes more and more of Sale's catcher, the more likely the Sox keep him as a back-up since I don't see them trading Sale.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 07:28 PM)
I can't give you specific names but I am CONVINCED fully my plan of keeping Sale, Q, Rodon, and our new draftee pitcher to go with Abreu and A. Garcia (I guess he's a fine prospect still) and trading all the pieces Hahn acquired last offseason is our best bet for immediate success. Those are a lot of bodies to trade and I'll leave it to him to fix the problems with those bodies as trade bait. Our ONLY hope is to ride what could be a top of the line rotation to the top.

It would help if we could get in another division though. Sox are patsies to division foes in Central.

i am with you, but i keep looking at, how will the sox improve, thru FA's???? i think not, so how to improve, if the sox do not consider moving a pitcher.

Yesterdays rainout should be a new start for the team. Because of the rainout Danks will be skipped in the rotation this time. The White Sox should skip him in the rotation forever. It's time to bring up and start Johnson. This is the 3rd year in a row that Danks has been getting his rear end kicked in. I realize the White Sox don't want to eat his contract so simply put him in the bullpen.

Edited by WBWSF

I really think this team can be legit contents by 2017, but it will take some bold moves between now and then.

On the pitching side, sign Shark to a 5 year/$90M extension, trade Quintana & Putnam at the trade deadline (target two high-end hitting prospects for Q and the BPA for Zach), move Danks to the bullpen, & call-up Erik Johnson. Give one of Drabek, Guerra, & Beck an extended look the rest of the way. If you don't like what you see from those guys, then sign a reclamation project in the offseason. Either way, plan on Fulmer taking the #5 spot by 2017.

On the offensive side, trade Alexei & LaRoche at the deadline for whatever you can get. Give playing time to Sanchez at SS, Micah Johnson at 2B, Garcia and/or Melky at DH, & Trayce Thompson in RF. For this example, assume you can get Schwarber & Baez for Quintana & Putnam. These guys would start at C & 3B the rest of the way.

In the offseason, trade Garcia for prospects and open up the DH spot for Schwarber. Do whatever it takes to acquire the best available catching prospect that is major league ready. In this example, I'll assume that guy is Kevin Plawecki from the Mets. Let Sanchez, Saladino, or a free agent stop-gap hold down SS for 2016, but assume Anderson is ready by opening day 2017. Give Thompson a legit shot in RF in 2016. If he fails, sign or trade for a RF (Jay Bruce a potential option).

2017 Roster

#1: Sale

#2: Shark

#3: Rodon

#4: Johnson

#5: Fulmer

CL: Robertson

SU: Jones

SU: Duke

MR: Webb

MR: Phillips

MR: Petricka

LR: Beck

1. Eaton, CF

2. Johnson, 2B

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Schwarber, DH

5. Cabrera, LF

6. Baez, 3B

7. Thompson, RF

8. Plawecki, C

9. Anderson, SS

Lineup too right-handed and there still would be some defensive concerns, but offensively it would have a lot of potential if Melky bounces back. Regardless, the pitching staff would have a chance of being very special. On top of that, the roster is very young and there would be money to spend to patch holes. While I think this particular scenario is unlikely (don't see us trading with the Cubs), I think something similar can be done if we extend Shark & capitalize on Quintana's value.

The idea of counting on Trayce Thompson as a full-time player isn't going to find many advocates.

And, if you're breaking in Anderson in 2017, you're probably wasting two more years of Robertson waiting for 2018, which means you can do without an elite guy (and he might not even be that) until 2017 or more likely ASB 2017.

It's also quite possible Montas or Danish could emerge to take over that spot...so you can shift $25 million being allocated to Robertson and spend it more efficiently in the short-term.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
The idea of counting on Trayce Thompson as a full-time player isn't going to find many advocates.

And, if you're breaking in Anderson in 2017, you're probably wasting two more years of Robertson waiting for 2018, which means you can do without an elite guy (and he might not even be that) until 2017 or more likely ASB 2017.

It's also quite possible Montas or Danish could emerge to take over that spot...so you can shift $25 million being allocated to Robertson and spend it more efficiently in the short-term.

While I agree people will be skeptical of Trayce Thompson, I'm starting to think he deserves a shot in 2016. His defense has always been top-notch and he's been a top 10 offensive player in the International League this year (better if you exclude AAAA types) with a much improved K rate. I think you really need to find a way to get major league at-bats in August & September and if those go well, give him a look in 2016. His defense will at least provide a floor in terms of value.

However, I'm not sure where this idea of not being able to compete while developing a young player comes from. Maybe b/c Balta screams louder than most here and he believes that only perfect teams can compete. That's just a ridiculous notion (look at the AL standings) and Tim Anderson batting 9th after a full season in AAA would likely not prevent you from winning.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)
I really think this team can be legit contents by 2017, but it will take some bold moves between now and then.

On the pitching side, sign Shark to a 5 year/$90M extension, trade Quintana & Putnam at the trade deadline (target two high-end hitting prospects for Q and the BPA for Zach), move Danks to the bullpen, & call-up Erik Johnson. Give one of Drabek, Guerra, & Beck an extended look the rest of the way. If you don't like what you see from those guys, then sign a reclamation project in the offseason. Either way, plan on Fulmer taking the #5 spot by 2017.

On the offensive side, trade Alexei & LaRoche at the deadline for whatever you can get. Give playing time to Sanchez at SS, Micah Johnson at 2B, Garcia and/or Melky at DH, & Trayce Thompson in RF. For this example, assume you can get Schwarber & Baez for Quintana & Putnam. These guys would start at C & 3B the rest of the way.

In the offseason, trade Garcia for prospects and open up the DH spot for Schwarber. Do whatever it takes to acquire the best available catching prospect that is major league ready. In this example, I'll assume that guy is Kevin Plawecki from the Mets. Let Sanchez, Saladino, or a free agent stop-gap hold down SS for 2016, but assume Anderson is ready by opening day 2017. Give Thompson a legit shot in RF in 2016. If he fails, sign or trade for a RF (Jay Bruce a potential option).

2017 Roster

#1: Sale

#2: Shark

#3: Rodon

#4: Johnson

#5: Fulmer

CL: Robertson

SU: Jones

SU: Duke

MR: Webb

MR: Phillips

MR: Petricka

LR: Beck

1. Eaton, CF

2. Johnson, 2B

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Schwarber, DH

5. Cabrera, LF

6. Baez, 3B

7. Thompson, RF

8. Plawecki, C

9. Anderson, SS

Lineup too right-handed and there still would be some defensive concerns, but offensively it would have a lot of potential if Melky bounces back. Regardless, the pitching staff would have a chance of being very special. On top of that, the roster is very young and there would be money to spend to patch holes. While I think this particular scenario is unlikely (don't see us trading with the Cubs), I think something similar can be done if we extend Shark & capitalize on Quintana's value.

Good post. But Q is too valuable an asset to trade at the deadline. You can explore it but I think you get more value trading him in offseason where there will be more suitors.

There is no way I trade Q for a Schwarber/Baez type package. Worse you want to project Schwarber as a DH. You have to get a Catcher or SS + 1 or 2 very high prospects who are ML ready for a top 20 ML pitcher. For example from Boston I want one of the young catchers, Holt and Bradley Jr or Bogaerts and Bradley Jr. You have to walk away w a starter at a prime position ( SS-CF-C) and at least 1 other starter or two very high prospects that may need 1 year.

Why would you want Danks in the bullpen??? What role would he play??? If he is your long reliever you are better off w a young player. I think w Danks you either leave him as your #5, trade him for nothing and eat some money, trade him for a prospect and eat more money, or release him and eat all the money and a lot of rolaids.

The quick fix was last off season as Sox management saw that as a way to get back into contention right away. It has not worked well yet but it still might with some more tweaks. Any rebound will be more than trading one player or tearing this team apart, whichever is your pleasure. I think we keep most of what we have and fine tune. We have talent and it is proven talent for the most part. Look at 2015 as an anomaly so far.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
The quick fix was last off season as Sox management saw that as a way to get back into contention right away. It has not worked well yet but it still might with some more tweaks. Any rebound will be more than trading one player or tearing this team apart, whichever is your pleasure. I think we keep most of what we have and fine tune. We have talent and it is proven talent for the most part. Look at 2015 as an anomaly so far.

No. That thinking is what's killing the Sox year-in, year-out.

There will be no more fan optimism with "proven" names anymore. This season has killed that, and I think it's finally a good thing.

Either they tear it down and do it right, or they will continue to have top 10 picks.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
If you are going for a 3 yr rebuild, which I do not dispute, there is no sense keeping Robertson. Relief pitchers are too unpredictable to hope they will be needed in 3 years. Better to trade him now while he has some value.

As Flowers becomes more and more of Sale's catcher, the more likely the Sox keep him as a back-up since I don't see them trading Sale.

Flowers as a backup catcher would be palatable especially if he serves as Sale's personal catcher only and only gets other spot starts on like day games after night games or one end of a double header.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)
The quickest fix would be for the good players on this team to start playing like good players again.

It has seemingly started to happen too. Eaton and Cabrera over the last 2 weeks are both hitting over .300 with OBPs over .370....Now they need Avi to join them and Jose to look like 2014 Jose.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
New ownership, new GM, new manager, new coaches, new scouts and new minor league director.

Mark Cuban or Donald Trump? Which circus act do you prefer? We have a good and committed ownership

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
Mark Cuban or Donald Trump? Which circus act do you prefer? We have a good and committed ownership

Actually, with the change in relations with Cuba, I can foresee the Havana White Sox on the horizon. Attendance would be great and White Sox could have an advantage in signing Cuban born players. Alexei could be a player manager and Bill Lee could be the GM. Jerry are you listening????

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)

"The short definition of insanity".

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)

I think it is an anomaly as well. There is no reason in 2016 this team cannot get back to the 2014 success they achieved..........................

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 07:45 PM)
My horrible plan.

Prior to July 31:

Trade Jeff Samardzija to Toronto for Miguel Castro and Anthony Alford.

Rationale: No point in keeping Samardzija. Castro is a big time arm coming out of the bullpen. Tops out at 99 sits 95-97. Lanky and has the delivery to cause for concern so he'll likely be undervalued by the Jays. His inclusion is to add to the bullpen depth and make Sox own assets more valued in the market (Montas). Alford is the real get for me. I think he will be a top 100 prospect in time (unless the Sox trade for him course). Great idea of the strike zone despite being incredibly raw. He was an over slot signing as he had to be swayed away from playing college football, i.e. KW will love him. Should grow into some power but likely possesses every tool but it. He would immediately be a top five prospect in our system.

Free Agency

Sign 3B Juan Uribe - 1 year, 7 million.

Rationale: Great defender with varying offensive display. Good for the clubhouse. Should make a strong impact as we go from one of the worst defenders to one of the better defenders.

Sign SP Matt Latos - 2 year, 28 million.

Rationale Buy low candidate. Very ugly ERA based on an unsustainable strand rate. Despite what Balta will say over and over again, there is some money to spend and the Sox are better making their bigger expenditures on pitchers given their success rate there. Could fathomably produce what Samardzija would at third of the cost and a fraction of the risk. Stats really suffered because of lack of velocity in the beginning of they year which he has since improved on. Still young at 27.

Sign Asdrubal Cabrera - 1 year, 3 million

Rationale: Provides depth from both sides of the plate at every infield position. I wouldn't want him to end up at SS but he makes for a nice insurance plan to the 2B platoon and Uribe at 3B. He will be relegated to a bench role somewhere and I wouldn't mind it being the Sox.

Trades:

Trade Jose Quintana to Boston for C Christian Vasquez, 3B Rafael Devers, LHP Edwin Escobar and SS Deven Marrero

Rationale: Find a potential long term catcher who is stud behind the plate, a prospect with considerable offensive potential, buy low on lefty reliever with talent and get a shortstop with great defense. I do expect the Sox and Boston to match up this winter and I like the idea of taking depth over putting all the eggs in one or two baskets. It sucks to lose Q but you have to give to get.

Trade Frank Montas and Courtney Hawkins for RF Jay Bruce

Rationale: Montas is likely to have much more value on the open market than Danish and the Sox will need to pull from their pitching depth to bring in some sort of talent. Jay is a good defender and hits for power from the left side. Hawkins has no MLB future in my mind, at least in this organization, so you might as well salvage any value his pedigree still carries.

vs. RHP

L CF Eaton

L 2B Johnson

R 1B Abreu

L RF Bruce

L DH LaRoche

R 3B Uribe

S LF M. Cabrera/Garcia

R C Vasquez

R SS Marrero

vs. LHP

L CF Eaton

S 2B A. Cabrera

R 1B Abreu

L RF Bruce

R DH Garcia/LaRoche

R 3B Uribe

S LF M. Cabrera

R C Vasquez

R SS Marrero

Bench: Flowers (going by likelihood, not by preference), INF A. Carbera, Garcia/LaRoche, Sanchez/Trayce Thompson

SP 1 Chris Sale

SP 2 Carlos Rodon

SP 3 Mat Latos

SP 4 John Danks (again, likelihood, not preference)

SP 5 Erik Johnson

CL David Robertson

SU Nate Jones

RHP Daniel Webb

RHP Miguel Castro

LHP Edwin Escobar

LHP Zach Duke

RHP Jake Petricka

Top Prospects:

1.) RHP Carson Fulmer - Birmingham

2.) SS Tim Anderson - Charlotte

3.) 3B Rafael Devers - Winston Salem

4.) SS Deven Marrero - Chicago

5.) OF Anthony Alford - Winston Salem

6.) OF Micker Adolfo - Kannapolis

7.) 3B Trey Michalczewski - Birmingham

8.) RHP Spencer Adams - Winston Salem

9.) RHP Tyler Danish - Charlotte

10.) LHP Edwin Escobar - Chicago

They're not playoff ready for 2016, but they get younger and fill the system with a team that could compete if a few things go their way. Keys are depth, risk aversion and defense. Plus defenders at C, SS, 3B, CF and RF. If things go south you have trade chips in Bruce, Latos, LaRoche and Uribe.

a very interesting post and i can see the hard work.....

many thanks for posting this.