Frankie Montas to join Sox for Double Header Friday

bmags

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
I believe the rule is (and I could be wrong)...

If the rescheduled doubleheader is the day after the rainout, the 26th man is only eligible for the 2nd game because travel may play a factor for one team and not the other.

If the rescheduled doubleheader is far in the future (like today), the 26th man is eligible both games.

So I think Montas is the 26th man, eligible for both games, and he'll be returned to Birmingham after tonight.

Accoring to B-R, you are correct.

Beginning on MLB Opening Day up through August 31st, a club can temporarily add (recall or select) a 26th player to its MLB Active List on any day where two games are scheduled, as long as the second game was scheduled at least 48 hours in advance. If the second game was scheduled less than 48 hours in advance, a 26th man can be temporarily added to a club's MLB Active List for the second game of the doubleheader only.

If the rescheduled doubleheader is the day after the rainout, the 26th man is only eligible for the 2nd game because travel may play a factor for one team and not the other.

If the rescheduled doubleheader is far in the future (like today), the 26th man is eligible both games.

So I think Montas is the 26th man, eligible for both games, and he'll be returned to Birmingham after tonight.

I didn't realize it was different in different situations. I thought it was for just the 2nd game.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
Doesn't DRob have 3 years left on his deal after this year and $30+ million owed to him?

I just don't see a team taking on his full contract unless they're REALLY desperate for relievers.

That is what top tier relievers get paid. Sox weren't even the highest bidder this offseason, and let's not pretend like he has fallen off a cliff.

If there are some teams genuinely interested in Papelbon the surely there would be interest in Robertson. Robertson is 4 years younger and cheaper. The Blue Jays are rumored to have interest in Papelbon so they could very well have interest in Robertson as well.

I dont know if its been mentioned before but I heard Keith Law give a pretty tough scouting report on Montas yesterday. He said a lot of the things that have been mentioned here before like him not having the ability to be a starter in the league because he doesnt have the pin point control that would be needed. Also he said that if he isnt throwing the 100+ he will get lit up because he doesnt have a ton of movement, ala what happened in the all star game. He also mentioned that he isnt ready for the big leagues right now.

Are we sure he's going back? I figured we'd send down a position player. We dropped Carroll for Saladino only because we were going to the All Star break (we could afford to abuse the pen) and we were playing in the NL so we need a bench.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
Are we sure he's going back? I figured we'd send down a position player. We dropped Carroll for Saladino only because we were going to the All Star break (we could afford to abuse the pen) and we were playing in the NL so we need a bench.

We'll see. Wouldn't surprise me if Montas is just here in case Danks sucks and they want to pull him early. Other than that, he may just be hanging out in the pen for 6 hours, and then getting back on a plane.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 4m4 minutes ago

Frankie Montas is a one-day promotion only. #WhiteSox intend to go with six-man bullpen on Saturday and Sunday.

i always liked the idea of a 6-man rotation for this season. i still like this experiment.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
I dont know if its been mentioned before but I heard Keith Law give a pretty tough scouting report on Montas yesterday. He said a lot of the things that have been mentioned here before like him not having the ability to be a starter in the league because he doesnt have the pin point control that would be needed. Also he said that if he isnt throwing the 100+ he will get lit up because he doesnt have a ton of movement, ala what happened in the all star game. He also mentioned that he isnt ready for the big leagues right now.

FWIW, a guy who I'm 99% sure had a triple-digit fastball that was "way too straight" and "not pinpoint control" was Max Scherzer. He came up as a 100 mph guy, learned to take a little bit of velocity off that fastball in exchange for more movement, and well.

Montas has a lower K-rate than Scherzer did but an equal or better walk rate, and coming out of the DSL teams not surprising he's a bit more raw.

He's not ready for prime time yet and we all know that, but big difference between that and "not having the ability to be a starter in this league". If you've got a 100 mph fastball, taking a bit off of it to 96 with better control/movement and still having 99 in your pocket when you need to strike a guy out in the 7th inning is a solid recipe. Just takes time and learning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
FWIW, a guy who I'm 99% sure had a triple-digit fastball that was "way too straight" and "not pinpoint control" was Max Scherzer. He came up as a 100 mph guy, learned to take a little bit of velocity off that fastball in exchange for more movement, and well.

Montas has a lower K-rate than Scherzer did but an equal or better walk rate, and coming out of the DSL teams not surprising he's a bit more raw.

He's not ready for prime time yet and we all know that, but big difference between that and "not having the ability to be a starter in this league". If you've got a 100 mph fastball, taking a bit off of it to 96 with better control/movement and still having 99 in your pocket when you need to strike a guy out in the 7th inning is a solid recipe. Just takes time and learning.

totally unrelated. but i remember another hard thrower who just couldn't take a little off to be a better pitchers.

Felipe Paulino

Like it or not, I think Hahn did a pretty good job with the Peavy trade. Montas could be a starter but more likely a closer/8th inning guy if we still have Robertson.

Avi is our starting RF, and Wendelken could be with the club next year because he is carving AA.

Rondon looks like a bust but you take that risk.

He has an elite tool that doesn't exist in this system, not surprised people were excited.

Granted, thinking the sox could turn someone who couldn't hit into a hitter when we turn players who can hit into crap is somewhat amusing.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
You could say the same thing about Carlos Sanchez.

Unfortunately some guys just can't hit at the MLB level.

Since June 19 he's hitting about .240. Have you been happy with his production over the last month?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 06:18 PM)
He has an elite tool that doesn't exist in this system, not surprised people were excited.

Granted, thinking the sox could turn someone who couldn't hit into a hitter when we turn players who can hit into crap is somewhat amusing.

sweet...... :notworthy

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
You could say the same thing about Carlos Sanchez.

Unfortunately some guys just can't hit at the MLB level.

No you can't. Rondon is much better defensively than Carlos Sanchez and he does it at SS

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
No you can't. Rondon is much better defensively than Carlos Sanchez and he does it at SS

And much, much worse offensively.

It's sad. Would have loved to see his glove in the bigs.