Official Buyers Thread

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
Price and Cespedes to LAD

Puig and prospect to Sox

Prospects from Sox to Detroit?

Bingo. Sounds perfect and right up our alley. Puig needs a change of scenery.

Price is destined for LA after Hamels went to Tex.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
Man the Sox are on fire. They have to be the best baseball team of the past week. It should be an interesting deadline but I would not want to be in a GM shoes.

Personally I'd white flag the s*** out of this.

You'd white flag a season when we're 2.5 GB of a playoff spot (2 in the loss column) and have by far the best pitching of any team we're competing with for that spot?

Who are you going to sell off besides Samardzija? Is it worth giving up on this season just to get a couple B prospects?

If you're going to trade for Puig (or anyone) you can't do it on prospects alone. That would clean out our system.

And in case people haven't noticed, this team is under .500. Puig makes us, what , a little above?

You'd have to throw Shark in there. Something to temper the prospect toll. And if for Puig, Avi as well. Better yet, Quintana, so wait until the offseason.

Cargo - outrageous contract, he doesn't hit lefties well, inflated Coors field numbers.

If you want a hitter, I'd get Bruce. Ks are bad, but his splits are fine, and you may get him at a reasonable price. Do a 3-way using Shark, and take your chances on Erik Johnson.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:32 PM)
You'd white flag a season when we're 2.5 GB of a playoff spot (2 in the loss column) and have by far the best pitching of any team we're competing with for that spot?

Who are you going to sell off besides Samardzija? Is it worth giving up on this season just to get a couple B prospects?

Only way I'd trade samardzija now is if it's for Puig or in a three way deal to Detroit for Cespedes. Otherwise I'm down with adding to this team with some prospects to land a bat but not subtract from the team by waving a white flag after the recent run. I reLly get the feeling we're not going to make a move at all by Friday, we're going to roll with this momentum. Worse comes to worse the team gels more, and we give Shark a QO and take the pick of he walks. If we add it needs to be impactful

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:33 PM)
If you're going to trade for Puig (or anyone) you can't do it on prospects alone. That would clean out our system.

And in case people haven't noticed, this team is under .500. Puig makes us, what , a little above?

You'd have to throw Shark in there. Something to temper the prospect toll. And if for Puig, Avi as well. Better yet, Quintana, so wait until the offseason.

Cargo - outrageous contract, he doesn't hit lefties well, inflated Coors field numbers.

If you want a hitter, I'd get Bruce. Ks are bad, but his splits are fine, and you may get him at a reasonable price. Do a 3-way using Shark, and take your chances on Erik Johnson.

Prospects alone you're right wouldn't land Puig we would have to work a three way out to get LA a pitcher and a combo of our prospects and theirs going to another team and us landing Puig. Same with Cespedes.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:38 PM)
Prospects alone you're right wouldn't land Puig we would have to work a three way out to get LA a pitcher and a combo of our picks and theirs going to another team and us landing Puig. Same with Cespedes.

I don't mind cleaning out the farm if we're going for it. The thing is, this team needs to pick a direction. Go all in and get rid of prospects or capitalize off the momentum and sell off all your major league players minus maybe Sale and Abreu.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:47 PM)
Well, if Rock isn't kidding, we're adding AJP

I think some of you read far too much into Rock & Bucket's posts.

I feel like there are times where they simple give their opinion or speculate just as fans w/o any inside info.

I think they're more likely to wait until August and see where they're at....and add someone that can play RF/DH or just a pure DH/1B type who can take LH at-bats away from LaRoche, like a Mike Napoli.

Someone who's not going to cost a top prospect and is more along the lines of the 2012 deadline deals where teams were basically dumping salary and the best player we gave up was Eduardo Escobar.

Edited by caulfield12

Here's a fun fill in the blank game:

LAD gets: Cole Hamels

CHW gets: Yasiel Puig

PHI gets: ?????

Excluded from options to fill in the blank: Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Robertson, Eaton, Abreu, Adams, Anderson, Fulmer

I don't think this is feasible, is it?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 12:50 AM)
Here's a fun fill in the blank game:

LAD gets: Cole Hamels

CHW gets: Yasiel Puig

PHI gets: ?????

Excluded from options to fill in the blank: Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Robertson, Eaton, Abreu, Adams, Anderson, Fulmer

I don't think this is feasible, is it?

Considering that Hamels is on the Rangers, I would say not feasible.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
Prospects alone you're right wouldn't land Puig we would have to work a three way out to get LA a pitcher and a combo of our prospects and theirs going to another team and us landing Puig. Same with Cespedes.

Why the same with Cespedes? He's a rent...can't give up much for him anyway. I certainly hope no one thinks he and his .321 OBP is "elite". I guess a Shark-Cespedes swap is okay, except that we'd lose the comp pick.

Trouble with AJP is his personality...it worked well in 2005, and while he was on the team I suppose...but it hasn't worked on all of his subsequent teams and that would be a risk especially with Ventura.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:19 AM)
I think some of you read far too much into Rock & Bucket's posts.

I feel like there are times where they simple give their opinion or speculate just as fans w/o any inside info.

true......

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
Is it odd that there is nothing out there about what our plans may be? Is it a sign that we don't know what to do becUse the fact that there really is a lot of supposed friction in the FO? Or is it how Hahn does it when negotiating? Or do you all think they stand pat and let these guys play out the season? Even the normal inside guys on here are quiet. Just odd to me I guess with two days left.

The Guillens were the obvious source of the White Sox leaks. Ever since they left, you barely hear anything out of the Sox camp, which pretty well confirms that. We won't know anything about the Sox unless the other team puts it out there. The best you can hope is to read between the lines of what the beat writers are being fed to say.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:03 AM)
The Guillens were the obvious source of the White Sox leaks. Ever since they left, you barely hear anything out of the Sox camp, which pretty well confirms that. We won't know anything about the Sox unless the other team puts it out there. The best you can hope is to read between the lines of what the beat writers are being fed to say.

That's why the Tiger source on Twitter saying we're "Buyers" was mildly interesting and probably mostly smoke.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
That's why the Tiger source on Twitter saying we're "Buyers" was mildly interesting and probably mostly smoke.

I said it before... out of town writers are a better source of accurate information.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)

very great deductive reason.... sherlock holmes like.