Sox Looking at Upton

Jose Abreu

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 02:27 AM)
I don't want the White Sox to give up any picks this offseason regardless of where they choose. They aren't in a position to be giving away draft selections.

you got a point and i wouldn't either for except for 1 player. Heyward.

however i like the idea of players, including pitchers will not get that QO. then they will not cost a draft pick.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 03:23 AM)
No thanks. I'd rather spend on Cespedes or go get Cargo or Puig.

i am remembering that Puig was put on waivers and immediately pull back.

now for me, i am thinking that the dodgers may have had a trade in line. wasn't there a mention that puig was now going to split time b/c of his play.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 09:40 PM)
i am remembering that Puig was put on waivers and immediately pull back.

now for me, i am thinking that the dodgers may have had a trade in line. wasn't there a mention that puig was now going to split time b/c of his play.

I don't remember but he needs to be our big splash.

Heyward will be way too expensive and not worth it. He's a great player but so much of his value comes from defense. If the Sox are going to spend what it takes to get Heyward, I'd rather have better hitters. They need offense and Heyward just doesn't provide enough of it.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
The only guy I'd give up a draft pick for is Heyward. We'd also have to move LaRoche or release him and eat the money moving Melky and Garcia into left field/DH combo. Heyward would greatly improve the defense and is only 26.

I'd enjoy Gordon

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
I'd enjoy Gordon

alex gordon may be a nice pickup. however if he has not been given a QO.

that is my whole idea, to concentrate on players, age, talent and of course those who weren't given a QO.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
alex gordon may be a nice pickup. however if he has not been given a QO.

that is my whole idea, to concentrate on players, age, talent and of course those who weren't given a QO.

He 100% will be given a QO. Unless his leg falls off over the next 2 months.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
He 100% will be given a QO. Unless his leg falls off over the next 2 months.

ok, but as of right now, it will be a guess on who was given a QO. it will be a tough decision for the FO to decide on who is available via FO or not.

except for a possible of a couple of fa's. this is a weak selections.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
ok, but as of right now, it will be a guess on who was given a QO. it will be a tough decision for the FO to decide on who is available via FO or not.

I don't have any idea what your abbreviations say, but it's quite easy to say that Alex Gordon will receive a qualifying offer. Jayson Heyward will receive a qualifying offer. Justin Upton will receive a qualifying offer.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
The Sox cannot sacrifice any more draft picks. If they want more offense, they better trade for it. The only name that intrigues me that will most likely be available via trade this winter is Puig.

In order to get a good bat you're going to have to trade a good prospect, right?

So what difference does it make whether they give up a draft pick vs a prospect already established in our system?

quote name='LDF' date='Aug 15, 2015 -> 03:20 PM' post='322218

ok, but as of right now, it will be a guess on who was given a QO. it will be a tough decision for the FO (sox front office) to decide on who is available via FO oops free agency FA or not.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
In order to get a good bat you're going to have to trade a good prospect, right?

So what difference does it make whether they give up a draft pick vs a prospect already established in our system?

while i am not taking sides, i am looking at the system when i am answering this post.

the difference is a prospect that is developed is one that may make the team in a shorter period of time. a draft pick is one who will take at least 2 + yrs to develop properly, depending on the quality of the pick.

now, the sox have been lucky and see a quick results in a couple of their picks, depending on Fulmer progression, but that is the pick were rather high in the first round.

not all draft picks will be like that, unless again if it is another high pick.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
What are we thinking an Upton deal would be? 5/75?

if you are asking in general to anyone, for me, i am not smart enuf to figure that out.

that is why those who works in any FO has yrs of experience.