My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
Quintana should not be traded unless a team with a strong farm system gives the Sox 1 of their top 5 prospects along with a few in the 8-15 range.

You're severely underrating Quintana's trade value.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)
I think they have to stir up some interest to sell some tickets. Ergo Quintana goes for some "name" player. That's my current theory anyway.

you may be right, but that is the sox FO short coming or low expectations of the sox fans...... meaning no faith in them for having any intelligence.

regardless of the success the northside had, if the sox fo can make some really positive moves, and maybe one being a very charismatic player, the fans will come out.

they should just have faith in the fans, but for f*** sake improve the f***ing team.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
Quintana should not be traded unless a team with a strong farm system gives the Sox 1 of their top 5 prospects along with a few in the 8-15 range.

No way do you trade a Top 20 pitcher in MLB for prospects. You have to get 2 MLB ready players for him plus 1-2 prospects in 8-15 range

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
No way do you trade a Top 20 pitcher in MLB for prospects. You have to get 2 MLB ready players for him plus 1-2 prospects in 8-15 range

Not only is he a top 20 pitcher in MLB, he is young, left-handed, under team control for 5 more seasons (2 of which are team options), at an AAV of $8.65M. It literally doesn't get more valuable than that.

He's worth a ton, and I suspect he won't be traded unless some other team really, really, really wants him and is willing to give up a TON to get him.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
Not only is he a top 20 pitcher in MLB, he is young, left-handed, under team control for 5 more seasons (2 of which are team options), at an AAV of $8.65M. It literally doesn't get more valuable than that.

He's worth a ton, and I suspect he won't be traded unless some other team really, really, really wants him and is willing to give up a TON to get him.

Minimum Cole Hamels package, and his value is higher than Hamels' was at the time of his trade, so Q should get more.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
Minimum Cole Hamels package, and his value is higher than Hamels' was at the time of his trade, so Q should get more.

At a minimum, although with Harrison in that deal it isn't the easiest comp to use.

How about Q and Avi for Baez, Soler, Castro 1 promising AA arm and 1 pitching lotto ticket? I can think of a million reasons why this won't happen, but young and controllable on both sides who trade from relative strength. Why not?

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
How about Q and Avi for Baez, Soler, Castro 1 promising AA arm and 1 pitching lotto ticket? I can think of a million reasons why this won't happen, but young and controllable on both sides who trade from relative strength. Why not?

That's not enough for Q.

That's not enough for Q.

Really? Baez and Soler are MLB ready, cheap and have a chance to be special offensive talents. Castro is a 10 year younger version of Alexi with all the + and - that go into that mix. And you add in 2 pitchers to the young mix you have coming up through the system. Seems fair to me for Q plus Viciedo Jr. or do you somehow see better in other systems that would be available? Can't win if you can't hit, play D or manage. Maybe we make them throw in Davy Martinez to manage too!

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 06:32 PM)
That's not enough for Q.

Really? Baez and Soler are MLB ready, cheap and have a chance to be special offensive talents. Castro is a 10 year younger version of Alexi with all the + and - that go into that mix. And you add in 2 pitchers to the young mix you have coming up through the system. Seems fair to me for Q plus Viciedo Jr. or do you somehow see better in other systems that would be available? Can't win if you can't hit, play D or manage. Maybe we make them throw in Davy Martinez to manage too!

Yeah, that package would be plenty for Q, but it would never happen.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
That's not enough for Q.

So why would we want Baez, Soler, and Castro then?

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
I've been wondering the last 24 hours if Renteria coming to the Sox increased chances of them going after Castro. Those two got along well in 2014.

If nothing else it would give the franchise an in to learn about guys like Castro, Baez, and other potential trade targets.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
That's not enough for Q.

The Sale and Quintana trade ideas with the Cubs need to stop.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
again, you are making an excellent and reasonable post, looking at the picture that is on hand.

ref to the yanks, yes that was the move and in opinion everything kind of stems from this. problem is, how many other teams will or should be competing against the sox for this trade???? many. the problem that is negative that i was reading is the has a prickly personality, but was that also said on Aj and another catcher in the 90's that did well for the sox???

now someone mention Dunn and laroche failure when being compare to Alvarez, while they made a really good point, it is not the same.... too much difference there, PA is in his last Arb yr and next yr the sox can not give him a QO, so it is a win-win deal. in addition lets look at the age, there is a big difference there. also he carries a prickly personality as well and that is why Pitt been trying to trade him.

Hou was looking a a nice trade last yr with San but it fell threw. the sox can slide in and pick up where San missed. again Hou wants a Sp whether it is #1 or a #5 but they really want another Cl.... they have a lot to offer...

now Stl, Lackey is a FA and so is Heyward. there pitching prospects are at least a yr away and i figure they will make a move when Heyward situation is settle.

now for the immediate moves. i have been looking and i really can't see no help on the FA front so Freese is the only choice.

Speculating on a return for Q is interesting and all but I seriously doubt the Sox actually trade Q, or Sale for that matter. As is, the Sox rotation is Sale, Q, Rodon, Danks and EJ. After the front three, there's a big drop off. Danks is a number five and EJ, well, the jury is out until we see if he can sustain success in the majors. EJ created some doubt in my mind when he s*** the bed in '14, not that he cannot or will not get better, its just a wait and see approach from me, a Sox fan. My expectations of EJ are curbed.

After those five the Sox have nobody ready to step in. Montas needs to be a starter at Charlotte and Fulmer needs time in the minors in '16. Honestly, the percieved pitching depth is an illusion once we look beyond the front three. IMHO, its not the position of strength people believe it to be. Now is not the time to trade starting pitching with such weak depth. The SOX need another season to see what they have in Montas/Fulmer and to give the young A/AA ball pitchers another year of development to get them closer to being MLB ready and then re-evaluate the pitching depth of the Sox organization. Next year would be be a better time to deal one of Q or Sale, but not now. Waiting another year gives Rodon more time to develop into the front line line pitcher he seems destined to become.

If the Sox were to trade Q, were looking at Beck or Drabek as likely replacements. With so many holes in the lineup, the Sox aren't going to pay top dollar for any of the top FA pitchers so that would leave the Sox with looking at 2nd tier pitchers, pitchers that likely won't replace Q's production and yet could still cost even more than Q's salary. Bad idea, imo. Not only that but spending money on a FA pitcher takes money away that could be spent on hitting by FA or through trades.

Pitt: I'm not against Alvarez but in all honesty I just cannot see Pitt having interest in LaRoche. I think the best we can hope for is LaRoche turns things around enough to become tradable in '16 at the deadline.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
The Sale and Quintana trade ideas with the Cubs need to stop.

Amen brother!

The cubs won 97 games in '15 and are in need of pitching. I highly doubt JR is interested in helping his cross town rivals become even better and moving them closer to a shot at the WS. There are 28 other Baseball teams the Sox can trade with in an effort to make the '16 White Sox better.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 07:12 PM)
Speculating on a return for Q is interesting and all but I seriously doubt the Sox actually trade Q, or Sale for that matter. As is, the Sox rotation is Sale, Q, Rodon, Danks and EJ. After the front three, there's a big drop off. Danks is a number five and EJ, well, the jury is out until we see if he can sustain success in the majors. EJ created some doubt in my mind when he s*** the bed in '14, not that he cannot or will not get better, its just a wait and see approach from me, a Sox fan. My expectations of EJ are curbed.

After those five the Sox have nobody ready to step in. Montas needs to be a starter at Charlotte and Fulmer needs time in the minors in '16. Honestly, the percieved pitching depth is an illusion once we look beyond the front three. IMHO, its not the position of strength people believe it to be. Now is not the time to trade starting pitching with such weak depth. The SOX need another season to see what they have in Montas/Fulmer and to give the young A/AA ball pitchers another year of development to get them closer to being MLB ready and then re-evaluate the pitching depth of the Sox organization. Next year would be be a better time to deal one of Q or Sale, but not now. Waiting another year gives Rodon more time to develop into the front line line pitcher he seems destined to become.

If the Sox were to trade Q, were looking at Beck or Drabek as likely replacements. With so many holes in the lineup, the Sox aren't going to pay top dollar for any of the top FA pitchers so that would leave the Sox with looking at 2nd tier pitchers, pitchers that likely won't replace Q's production and yet could still cost even more than Q's salary. Bad idea, imo. Not only that but spending money on a FA pitcher takes money away that could be spent on hitting by FA or through trades.

Pitt: I'm not against Alvarez but in all honesty I just cannot see Pitt having interest in LaRoche. I think the best we can hope for is LaRoche turns things around enough to become tradable in '16 at the deadline.

maybe it is me or my mood of really being indifferent right now.

but i really don't see anything really wrong with people post of Q and the northisiders. remember i would rather see and read things from some who are not followers or just being with the main crowd.

now what ever my opinions are of these trade ideas, i will keep to myself.

now, i really have to say this, with all honesty, you really been really thinking, not as a fan but as someone looking at this with open eyes and with the knowledge that we are dealing with the present owners, so the cost will be a factor.

i am not really convince with any trade speculations from fans on any of the core of the present sp's.

i see a trade of pitching prospects and maybe Hawkins, MJohnson, J May, as extra's to sweeten the pot. again this will be all dependent on who the player the sox are looking at.

now with ref to Pitt, beside my crazy ass idea, i am looking at how Pitt may want to move S. Marté .... b/c of their need of of pitching help plus the emergence of Austin Meadows, plus their opinions that he may be ready for the big league next yr.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
Yeah, that package would be plenty for Q, but it would never happen.

No it wouldn't be plenty. The Sox don't need to trade the cost-controlled Quintana, so if they decide to do it I hope they can do better than guys who bring the serious questions that Baez, Soler, and Castro bring.

Soler just had an Avi-like year. Baez will never strike out in fewer than 30% of his plate appearances; he'll have to run a .340 BABIP to be special. We know all about Castro's issues. I know they're young but it's still all a bunch of question marks. I want an exclamation point somewhere in a package for Q.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
No it wouldn't be plenty. The Sox don't need to trade the cost-controlled Quintana, so if they decide to do it I hope they can do better than guys who bring the serious questions that Baez, Soler, and Castro bring.

Soler just had an Avi-like year. Baez will never strike out in fewer than 30% of his plate appearances; he'll have to run a .340 BABIP to be special. We know all about Castro's issues. I know they're young but it's still all a bunch of question marks. I want an exclamation point somewhere in a package for Q.

Those 3 have total cost certainty involved with their contracts. You go get a bigger name for Q, like Frazier, and you have no idea what you'll have to pay him in a few years.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Those 3 have total cost certainty involved with their contracts. You go get a bigger name for Q, like Frazier, and you have no idea what you'll have to pay him in a few years.

A lot of players who aren't good enough to trade for Quintana have cost certainty. It still doesn't address their problems. I even like Starlin myself, but the fact is the Cubs can't wait to get rid of him.

I'm not saying I expect multiple all-stars or anything. I just want something a little more assured in a Q trade, which again I'll emphasize is a move the Sox have no urgent need to make. Yasiel Puig, to take an example that's been used by others here before, has cost certainty and, comparatively, performance certainty. He is much closer to Q's value by himself than that package, IMO.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)

I agree. Quintana package starts with Schwarber. Why would Cubs do that when they can just sign someone?