How many of last off-seasons "big" moves would the Sox make

maxjusttyped

24 members have voted

1. 1. How many of last off-seasons "big" moves would the Sox make again?

• Samardzija trade
    • Robertson signing
    • Melky signing
    • LaRoche signing
    • None of the above

I said none of the above. Robertson frankly got off to an amazing start but appears to be on the decline and is just another guy now. Not lockdown reliable anymore.

The others speak for themselves. Just way too much money for their production. I'd add Duke to the list. He's making a good buck as well. Bonifacio and Beckham aren't exactly valuable pick-ups either. Gordon is officially a big-league bust. He won't get any more shots at starting by any team. If he's lucky he'll remain a solid gloved utility guy for another 5-10 years if anybody needs a utility guy. He does nothing offensively extremely well; good glove though.

Edited by greg775

Laroche sucked some life out of me personally. After watching 4 years of Adam Dunn, who to me is the absolute worst type of mid-lineup hitter (I understand some of you value his style and i respect that) I was so ready for a fresh start ar DH. But no, we got the same thing but arguably even worse. Looks like 6 straight years of pull-happy no contact. That s*** hurts.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 03:53 AM)
Robertson and Duke make little to no sense for a team far from competing.

That said, they were logical at the time...although everyone must have been shocked at overpaying a potentially declining closer for more than three years at those dollar figures.

Melky was the dumbest one of all. He wasn't much of an upgrade from Viciedo because of his lack of power. He has got his average up to .280 and has some ribbies though. Overall I'd give Melky a C to C-minus grade.

None of them.

I was as psyched as the next guy going into the season (bought season tickets and everything)... But, even then I wished that they would have went for shorter term options that did not require us to cough up a pick or assets (I liked K-Rod, Hammel on 1-2 year deals instead of Robertson, Shark).

Didn't know enough about LaRoche to have an opinion. But, since it was only a 2 year deal and did not cost us a pick, didn't hate the move.

Never liked the Melky signing. From the short term perspective, it seemed like a nice move. But, committing to 3 years and giving up a draft pick was just too much.

However, I was big on making a serious run on Kung Fu Panda going into FA... Glad we didn't do that.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 12:57 AM)
They have bad luck with NL players. Best solution - stop.

The DH is also a money pit.

If we want great players in their prime, we'll either have to trade for them or draft them. And we definitely can't corner the market on mid tier players and expect them to equal NL priduction

Also, those one-year FA signings involving players coming off of injury or ineffectiveness with limited risk is what we should strive for across a few positions. I'd rather sign those players than committ any more money/years to what will likely be a terrible 2016

The problem with hindsight is that they are all connected in regards to competing in 2015. Melky doesn't got signed without Samardzija or Robertson and vice versa. So it's hard to just question one transaction.

Samardzija was the biggest surprise, there weren't any major warning signs for him to perform this bad.

Robertson was fine. (Although unnecessary )

LaRoche is old, so can't be surprised he performed so badly

Melky should have been better, but the whole steroids thing

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
The problem with hindsight is that they are all connected in regards to competing in 2015. Melky doesn't got signed without Samardzija or Robertson and vice versa. So it's hard to just question one transaction.

Samardzija was the biggest surprise, there weren't any major warning signs for him to perform this bad.

Robertson was fine. (Although unnecessary )

LaRoche is old, so can't be surprised he performed so badly

Melky should have been better, but the whole steroids thing

To be fair, there were a few warning signs that Samardzija would be a bust, we just didn't see or want to see them. An example would be that 2014 was his only #1/#2 starter type season.

And the steroids thing was in 2012. Melky was very good in 2014 steroid-free. He has had a decent year for us, too- and yeah, cool, I know what his fWAR is, but we signed him knowing that his D is bad. .276/11/73 is not bad.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
None of them. But it's funny how everyone now wants to stay away from NL players because of two busts.

Add Jake Peavy, Smarj to the list. It's a trend. Younger players it's different. Watch both leagues and you may come to the conclusion it's apples and oranges. Or you could believe like the Sox organization and throw money and youth away on veteran NL players that fail on this team. You don't need a stat book to discover that reality.