ALDS: Astros vs. Royals Thread

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
It's gonna make Gordon 18-25 million a year cause his other stats are normal and he's getting old.

You need to understand the market is nowhere near what it used to be.

The qualifying offer this year is nearly $16 million. Alex Gordon is one of the best defensive LFers in baseball and he gets on base at a .350 clip and hits for decent power. That has a lot of value, especially when teams have trouble scoring runs.

Guys like Cespedes are going to get 5-6 years and $25 million a year. It's totally reasonable for Gordon to get 3-4 years and $20 million a year. That's just how the market is. You can get all up in arms about it if you want, but it's not going to change how the free agent market works.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
How could anybody pay Gordon more than 8-10 million a year is beyond me. What a bad signing he'll be for 18-25 million a year.

His offensive value is solely by the geek stat OBP. His traditional stats of RBIs, BA and HRs are OK, by no means great. He's a great defensive player.

But what is a GM thinking if he pays him 20 million a year for 5-8 years? He's 31 year old Alex Gordon for gawdsakes not some almighty stud.

I guess he'd be a good acquisition for the Sox just to get some defense out there. But he's no ultra elite player.

I forgot that walks aren't important.

Hey I texted my obsessed Royals friend today when Hosmer weakly tapped out with runners on first and second and two out in the sixth and KC down 1-0. I said, "I'm sad for you, but that's probably the game."

The magic isn't there this year. Call it the "curse of Rios." KC doesn't have "it" this year. the bullpen isn't as good with Holland gonzo. Moose and Hosmer are hitting like .100 and .200 for the playoff series so far.

Cain crushed that home run to go up 1-0 and I thought KC just needs to get through this series playing poorly and maybe ultimately find themselves again. They are all outta sorts.

I'll tell you one thing. BET THE HOUSE. Ventura will be awful today. He's not gonna suddenly turn into an Ace Ventura and mow down Houston. That's not in the cards, at least this season.

Poor KC. They needed to pull an Ozzie last year when they had a chance and win it all in their one trip to the WS like we did.

The magic is gone in KC. Rios was an awful addition; they should be playing one of their speedsters in right. Gordon should be leading off. LOL at Ned and the Royals. They.Are.Done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 05:39 PM)
Royals have the best combined record in the AL since the beginning of 2013.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/magazine...pable.html?_r=0

In other news, Maddon and Yost aren't that different after all.

Caulfield ... have you faced facts that KC is toast? I have to laugh at the Royals players. they were so stupid they came out in April pissing off most all the teams they faced the first month and a half. By acting like idiots after getting hits and fighting people who had the audacity to throw at them. They were treating April and May like it was important.

I'm not saying they ran out of gas, but after having their way much of the season, they definitely became human. I know I know all those games they won. But they had a mediocre September, finally getting hot the last week and a half.

But their starters blow chunks. Their bullpen is not automatic anymore.

More importantly the clutch hitting is gone right now. 0-12 with runners in scoring position vs. Houston.

Caulfield ... they are done.

Let's not overlook that Keuchel was 15-0 at home and the Cy Young winner.

There's no guarantee the Blue Jays or Royals can't win two or three in a row. Lots of parity, other than when Keuchel, Greinke and Arrieta start a game.

It has nothing to do with Alex Rios...or the absence of Aoki. The playoffs are simply a crapshoot and sometimes just one pitcher (Bumgarner) and a little offense can carry a team. The Royals don't deserve to advance if they can't beat McHugh and Kazmir. It's also true the Royals' momentum stalled the last 4-6 weeks because there was no competition in the Central, compared to the Cards/Pirates/Cubs pushing each other all season long.

Guaranteeing Yordano Ventura will get ripped is pretty silly, imo.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 01:45 AM)
Hey I texted my obsessed Royals friend today when Hosmer weakly tapped out with runners on first and second and two out in the sixth and KC down 1-0. I said, "I'm sad for you, but that's probably the game."

The magic isn't there this year. Call it the "curse of Rios." KC doesn't have "it" this year. the bullpen isn't as good with Holland gonzo. Moose and Hosmer are hitting like .100 and .200 for the playoff series so far.

Cain crushed that home run to go up 1-0 and I thought KC just needs to get through this series playing poorly and maybe ultimately find themselves again. They are all outta sorts.

I'll tell you one thing. BET THE HOUSE. Ventura will be awful today. He's not gonna suddenly turn into an Ace Ventura and mow down Houston. That's not in the cards, at least this season.

Poor KC. They needed to pull an Ozzie last year when they had a chance and win it all in their one trip to the WS like we did.

The magic is gone in KC. Rios was an awful addition; they should be playing one of their speedsters in right. Gordon should be leading off. LOL at Ned and the Royals. They.Are.Done.

Another "BET THE HOUSE" special guarantee from our resident gambling expert.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 01:45 AM)

You heard it here first.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
We need to make a list of all the "bet the house" predictions since last year and tally up how many houses we've already lost...

there is a google search that can match statements to members. I dont remember what the formula is, but im sure someone whose name rhymes with Pluinarvy does

Royals down 3-2. Baseball is a marathon and Royals didn't realize it in April and May acting like buffoons. KC's pitching staff is totally spent. Hosmer has been a black hole. Rios is so bad it's laughable. We all know about Rios.

The mojo left KC in September and they've had a horrible ALDS. Bye bye KC. Say what you want about Ozzie. The one time we got in the playoffs we fricking went all the way. We didn't waste our appearance.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
Royals down 3-2. Baseball is a marathon and Royals didn't realize it in April and May acting like buffoons. KC's pitching staff is totally spent. Hosmer has been a black hole. Rios is so bad it's laughable. We all know about Rios.

The mojo left KC in September and they've had a horrible ALDS. Bye bye KC. Say what you want about Ozzie. The one time we got in the playoffs we fricking went all the way. We didn't waste our appearance.

True, but the Royals got there the next year and gave themselves another shot. Ozzie ended up in third.