ALCS- Kansas City Royals vs Toronto Blue Jays

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
Yeah, once you had NY/Chi in NL TOR/KC had zero chance for prime-time.

I'd rather them be on at the same time or staggered 6pm / 8pm start times, plus they only play on the same day half the time. Afternoon weekday games are a complete joke. People work for a living...

Edited by ChiSox59

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably a good thing that more people weren't able to watch what happened in Toronto yesterday.

I was kinda annoyed that preseason Bulls basketball has priority over ALCS/NLCS on AM 1000. Actually, did they choose to outright drop the ALCS? I heard John Clayton talking about the NFL earlier, and the other day they were talking to Ditka for some reason.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
Price's 0-7 in 7 post-season starts versus Cueto being weak mentally and blaming everyone but himself.

Something's gotta give.

Price was actually really good in game 2 outside of that 7th inning. I think Toronto's still very much in this. They have their two best starters going.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 05:15 AM)
I definitely see this going 7 games. Ventura and Cueto to follow. Could be interesting.

Wow. Royals fans are already getting nervous. The talk shows are amazing. They want Yost fired for not having a reliever ready when Volquez allowed the first baserunner and they have turned on Ned again.

Abruptly, Game 6 on Friday at Kauffman Stadium looms about as large for the Royals as the Blue Jays, even with Kansas City holding a 3-2 lead in the series.

Think not?

Then ponder the chants of Toronto fans as they left:

“We want Cueto,” they yelled, referring, of course, to volatile Royals starter Johnny Cueto, the presumptive Game 7 starter should that game prove necessary.

There’s no way to know if it will come to that distressing proposition for the Royals, who by now must be as wearied by as worried about their supposed rent-an-ace.

His unreliable performances now have been attributed to everything from Sal Perez’s glove placement to the mound height at Rogers Centre to the possibility signs were being stolen via hotel rooms in center field.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...l#storylink=cpy

They brought in Herrera pretty quickly. The problem was all that at-bats that inning were SUPER close to being outs but the strike zone tightened. Volquez was throwing 98 MPH at the beginning of the game. And had pitched great coming into that 6th inning. I think this is too much post-game nitpicking.

But it's amazing that Royals' fans have already increased their expectations to the point where just getting to the World Series again is a disappointment.

White Sox fans have become conditioned to expect not to even get to .500 and be satisfied enough not to complain too much.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
Abruptly, Game 6 on Friday at Kauffman Stadium looms about as large for the Royals as the Blue Jays, even with Kansas City holding a 3-2 lead in the series.

Think not?

Then ponder the chants of Toronto fans as they left:

“We want Cueto,” they yelled, referring, of course, to volatile Royals starter Johnny Cueto, the presumptive Game 7 starter should that game prove necessary.

There’s no way to know if it will come to that distressing proposition for the Royals, who by now must be as wearied by as worried about their supposed rent-an-ace.

His unreliable performances now have been attributed to everything from Sal Perez’s glove placement to the mound height at Rogers Centre to the possibility signs were being stolen via hotel rooms in center field.

They brought in Herrera pretty quickly. The problem was all that at-bats that inning were SUPER close to being outs but the strike zone tightened. Volquez was throwing 98 MPH at the beginning of the game. And had pitched great coming into that 6th inning. I think this is too much post-game nitpicking.

But it's amazing that Royals' fans have already increased their expectations to the point where just getting to the World Series again is a disappointment.

White Sox fans have become conditioned to expect not to even get to .500 and be satisfied enough not to complain too much.

This is hilarious and only in baseball.

Royals fans everywhere fear Johnny Cueto having to start Game 7 of the ALCS. Almost everybody knows he will be lucky to pitch 3 innings Saturday in Game 7 if KC loses Game Six. He's likely to give up a ton of runs before Ned rescues him in the third.

Then ... shortly after the World Series is over and the bidding starts, this SAME Cueto will be one of the most sought after pitchers in modern history. He will command probably 25 million a year before all is said and done. It's comical.

In conclusion ... Royals fans dreading possibility of Cueto pitching Game 7. All the GMs of rich teams can't wait to woo him and sign him for 5 or more years at 25 mill a year. WTF???? Can anybody explain this madness to me?

p.s. How much you want to bet Cueto will be booed mercilesly by the so called GREAT KC fans if indeed he gets shelled in Game 7. Either that or the boos will be for Ned for not yanking him in the first inning or after he gives up his first run. LOL.

Edited by greg775

It's almost to the point where you dare not start Cueto on the road in the post-season.

If he pitches Saturday and the Royals somehow win, he wouldn't go Wed on three day's rest.

That would put him in Game 3 in NY....which is a difficult place for KC to be in if they were down 0-2 and had Cueto on the mound after what happened in Pitt and Tor. Plus the cold weather.

Every KC fan will pray for a Game 6 clincher...so that Volquez and Cueto can start in KC. Although if Ventura looks great for once this postseason tmrw, they could start him on regular rest in Game 2. But then you'd have Cueto starting on the road with way too much time off in between starts. Things have suddenly gotten quite scary for KC.

Cueto will go back to the NL....anything over $22-22.5 million per year after this latest travesty would shock me, since eliminating the AL option will wipe out half his potential bidders and artificially limit demand, at least somewhat.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
Here's something interesting I read, when the Sox signed Melky, KW said he turned down a 4 year deal elsewhere because he wanted to play for the White Sox. It turns out that 4 year deal was offered by KC, who then signed Alex Rios instead.

If it's any consolation for us, Rios sucked even more than Melky at the plate this year. But we're stuck with 3 more years of that lol.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
If it's any consolation for us, Rios sucked even more than Melky at the plate this year. But we're stuck with 3 more years of that lol.

Rios is so bad it's laughable. Melky is better than him, gulp, but I wish we could rid our team of Melky. No power makes him pretty ordinary.

1. The Royals have expressed interest in signing outfielder Melky Cabrera, but remain wary of his current contract demands, according to people familiar with the situation. Another team has emerged as the leading candidate for Cabrera’s services this week: the Seattle Mariners.

Toronto initially was showing interest in resigning outfielder Melky Cabrera, but with the Blue Jays acquiring Michael Saunders from the Mariners on Wednesday night, Cabrera returning is not likely. Cabrera, according to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, is seeking a five-year deal, and a reunion with the San Francisco Giants remains possible.

Mlbdailydish.com

Heyman, the KC Star's Andy McCullough and a twitter guy named Hunter Daniels have mentions or rumors of it, but it's likely the average dollars per year over four years were significantly lower than the White Sox offer, as they knew Rios and Tomas were also big risks on three to five year deals. Hence, the flexibility of only one year to Rios with an escape option which they will surely exercise to reboot and start over with Gordon also potentially leaving.

They were trying to "steal" him based on his erratic performance over the last 2-3 seasons rather than pay him top dollar.

Obviously, the White Sox were willing to pay a lot more on average. Knowing KC, they were only willing him $40-46 million for 4 years.

Nice try, though.

Edited by caulfield12

Kansas City will be in complete meltdown mode if Cueto has to pitch Game Seven. It's win tonight and celebrate madly for Royals fans or be sooo depressed cause they'll not know which Cueto will take the mound Saturday. The one that gave up two early runs before stifling Houston; or the one who got lit up in Toronto.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
I won't be right, but my gut is telling me the Jays bring out the bats the next two nights, and move on.

Which would practically guarantee the Royals would destroy the AL in revenge next year.

After 2016, their window starts to close pretty dramatically.