Sox Acquire Tommy Kahnle

Jose Abreu

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
I can't say I like trading an interesting 21 year old pitcher who improved for a 26 year old ceiling situational reliever who has been terrible.

Not a big deal either way I guess.

Almonte probably a few years away at least and this could be immediate BP depth though the walk rate is very alarming. Someone will sign Albers and Webb hasn't helped . Sox probably don't want Montas in the BP just yet. Let him battle it out with Petricka , Putnam and the rest for a spot.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
100000000% agree.

Petricka has never impressed me and I don't think he has a long future in baseball honestly. He doesn't have that "out" pitch that separates the mediocre relievers from the great ones.

His BB/Hits to K ratio is not good.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
Almonte probably a few years away at least and this could be immediate BP depth though the walk rate is very alarming. Someone will sign Albers and Webb hasn't helped . Sox probably don't want Montas in the BP just yet. Let him battle it out with Petricka , Putnam and the rest for a spot.

yea.

I just hate to use assets who could turn out to be something for mediocre players. And there's nothing to suggest that this guy's ceiling is any better than average. You shouldn't have to trade for players like this. They're widely available on the scrapheap. (wasn't he just DFAd?)

Heck the Mariners got Benoit for essentially 2 Almontes. That seems a better use of longshot prospects with potential.

Edited by GreenSox

I saw quite a bit of Kahnle. I liked him, then he had a really bad day last season, and they wouldn't take him out. They kept him in and they knocked the crap out of him. Did not understand it at the time.

Another time he came in for a routine save, 2-3 run lead, and he loaded the bases, looked like a lost cause, and all of a sudden he got 3 outs, game over. Tough kid. Needs a hair cut.

I got to see Almonte in September against Myrtle Beach Pelicans in the High-A playoffs. He flashed some really good stuff, but would lose it inning to inning. He touched 98 a couple of times and threw some really hard tight sliders. But his slider slipped a LOT and he missed high a ton. I was really excited to see him get some refinement, but I suppose it's very possible Coop targeted this guy as someone we can work with. I hope someone asks Hahn/Coop about this guy at some point soon, or at least at SoxFest.

This is a nice trade. Somehow 5 years of Gordon Beckham Sucktrain became a potential big addition to our bullpen. I think I prefer Tommy to a kid in A-ball years away, who more than likely will never be heard of again. I don't think Hahn could have gotten a good bullpen piece for Beckham at the time of the trade so this looks like some nice work here.