Cubs sign John Lackey

Sockin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 06:43 PM)
I mean Steamer projects Lackey at 2.6 WAR next year, if he hits that it's not a bad signing at all. I thought the money would be more in the $12-13M per year though.

Recalibrate all your free agent estimates up by 25%? The Price contract is consistent with that. The Happ contract is even more than that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
Recalibrate all your free agent estimates up by 25%? The Price contract is consistent with that. The Happ contract is even more than that.

I guess I should have expected it given how low his ERA was this year, but I figured the risk of signing a 37 year old pitcher would suppress his price a little bit.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
I just hope that the Cubs keeping losing in the next few years when their core is young and cheap.

They'll be f***ed when Lester is at the end of his deal, Arrieta is expensive, and all their young guys are older and more expensive.

So, John Lackey is their big FA SP acquisition??

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)
My favorite John Lackey memory is when Carlos Quentin deposited two of his offerings into the outfield seats at the Cell in 2008 on Sunday Night Baseball. I was at that game with 3 Cub fans.

Mine is when we smacked him around in the '05 ALCS.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
3 years would've been bad but 2 years and what they paid is a decent deal for Lackey. Will wind up being a 3/4 guy there. I also think the Cubs are far from done.

If the Cubs and Atlanta agree to the speculated Soler/Miller swap, the cubs rotation would be pretty solid on paper with Lackey as their #4.

I hope the Dodgers up their offer for Miller.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:07 PM)
If the Cubs and Atlanta agree to the speculated Soler/Miller swap, the cubs rotation would be pretty solid on paper with Lackey as their #4.

Agreed.

I don't want to see a guy like Miller, Carrasco, Salazar, etc go to the Cubs.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)
Agreed.

I don't want to see a guy like Miller, Carrasco, Salazar, etc go to the Cubs.

For sure. Us Sox fans will never hear the end of it. Sadly though, the cubs have the young hitting talent to trade for young pitching talent. One bright spot is they cannot go too crazy in FA if they are serious about extending Arrieta sometime in the next year because he is gonna get PAID.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:07 PM)

Cubs aren't getting Miller for Soler. Soler had a .1 WAR last year.

point one.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
If they can sign Gordon and then swing a trade for a Shelby Miller I thinks thats one hell of an off season for them.

thats where my head is at on all this, they can get pretty aggressive and move bryant to a corner and move schwarber and soler if they wanted and put Baez at 3b. While getting a stop gap in CF and waiting on Almora.