Cabrera LF/DH

Abreu 1B

Upton RF

Frazier 3B

LaRoche DH/Thompson LF

Navarro/Avila C

Saladino (maybe Ramirez) SS

Sanchez 2B

I'd still like to get a veteran at a middle infield spot (and one that can maybe hit in 2-spot).

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:21 PM)
Exactly. I kinda just want to stay away from this. Yet I don't know what else they should do since I don't think they should rebuild (...yet).

Just build.

Kenny Williams (and this has Williams written all over it) is ridiculously obsolete. This stuff doesn't work. But the Sox do it year after year after year.

Where does Trayce fit into this? They don't even have the patience to find out if 2015 was at least somewhat real? He could decline .100 OPS points and still really help the team.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
Eaton CF

Cabrera LF/DH

Abreu 1B

Upton RF

Frazier 3B

LaRoche DH/Thompson LF

Navarro/Avila C

Saladino (maybe Ramirez) SS

Sanchez 2B

I'd still like to get a veteran at a middle infield spot (and one that can maybe hit in 2-spot).

The bottom half of that lineup is still a black hole IMO.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
The bottom half of that lineup is still a black hole IMO.

Yeah. It really sucks being in the position we're in. A nice core of like 5 guys, not enough resources to get more pieces to fit around it. It's be easier to say that we should rebuild if the core only had around 2 years of control left rather than the 4+ years.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 7m7 minutes ago

#WhiteSox talking to free agents with QOs attached. Upton is their prime target. Should be an interesting few days.

There were rumors at the deadline that the Sox liked Upton.

Don't think giving up the draft picks is a smart strategy. This team needs as many of them as possible. Rebuilding that minor league systems should be a TOP priority.

As for Upton, if they were to do this, why is this a good / bad move? Why type of contract would he get? I know he's another high strike out guy, but with high HR potential. Is he a good defensive player?

The White Sox do need more thunder in the lineup, but why him over Heyward, for example (I realize there are different skill sets).

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
Just build.

Kenny Williams (and this has Williams written all over it) is ridiculously obsolete. This stuff doesn't work. But the Sox do it year after year after year.

Where does Trayce fit into this? They don't even have the patience to find out if 2015 was at least somewhat real? He could decline .100 OPS points and still really help the team.

Your choices of words are often comical. Williams is obsolete?? Haha whaaaaa

The Sox aren't in a bad position. If they would just give it a year or 2 and acquire talent when it's available.

But they refuse to do that. Absolutely refuse.

They insist on forcing - sign decliners, trade for rents, don't let young talent develop.

The one year they acquired young talent they improved 10 games.

Kenny Williams has to have his "proven veterans", put a paper thin team together than needs EVERYTHING to go right to contend, and when one of Williams' decliners predictably declines, they have to start back at ground zero.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
Don't think giving up the draft picks is a smart strategy. This team needs as many of them as possible. Rebuilding that minor league systems should be a TOP priority.

As for Upton, if they were to do this, why is this a good / bad move? Why type of contract would he get? I know he's another high strike out guy, but with high HR potential. Is he a good defensive player?

The White Sox do need more thunder in the lineup, but why him over Heyward, for example (I realize there are different skill sets).

Average at best defensively.

Heyward is a much better fit but will be $75M+ more expensive.

I don't think the offense has to be as good as you guys seem to think. Replacing Avi (83 wRC+, -1.1 fWAR) with JUp (projected 121 wRC+, 3 fWAR for 2016) is a huge difference. Even getting Lawrie vs the crap we trotted out there in 2015 is probably a ~3 WAR swing. This team could be pretty good as long as the stars show up.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 03:24 AM)
Just build.

as much as i hate to keep piling this crap on kw and company but i agree. it is the old way of thinking, look we went out and spent 20 mil for this player, come out and support the team, do not look at the rest of the sox problems.

just a pr move to keep the barbarians at the gate contented and to hopeful add a little thunder in the media pr.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:32 PM)
I don't think the offense has to be as good as you guys seem to think. Replacing Avi (83 wRC+, -1.1 fWAR) with JUp (projected 121 wRC+, 3 fWAR for 2016) is a huge difference. Even getting Lawrie vs the crap we trotted out there in 2015 is probably a ~3 WAR swing. This team could be pretty good as long as the stars show up.

Defense matters, especially when the White Sox have the makings of a pretty solid pitching staff.

How do Lawrie and Upton rank defensively?

If the White Sox were to acquire Upton, would that mean more Thompson (for his defense) in CF (or RF)?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:34 PM)
Defense matters, especially when the White Sox have the makings of a pretty solid pitching staff.

How do Lawrie and Upton rank defensively?

If the White Sox were to acquire Upton, would that mean more Thompson (for his defense) in CF (or RF)?

Upton's a better defender than Avi

Just curious... Who was the last hitting prospect the Sox actually developed? How many on the current projected roster?

I think those answers should show that if KW/RH are to want to sign a guy like Upton & give up a pick that isn't even an original pick, why not do it?

This team can't keep wasting this pitching to wait on hitters/position players they can't develop.

Hey, I get it... This team is frustrating but I'm not going to fault them for adding talent to a needy roster.

Lawrie was regarded as above average defensively but UZR hated him last year for some reason. He should be average to above.

Upton isn't great but as long as he is playing a corner he should be fine. Huge upgrade over Avi in pretty much all regards.

I would guess signing Upton moves TNT to 4th OF. He would probably see a lot of late inning action and starts against lefties (either as DH or LF, with Melky DHing)

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
Lawrie was regarded as above average defensively but UZR hated him last year for some reason. He should be average to above.

Upton isn't great but as long as he is playing a corner he should be fine. Huge upgrade over Avi in pretty much all regards.

I would guess signing Upton moves TNT to 4th OF. He would probably see a lot of late inning action and starts against lefties (either as DH or LF, with Melky DHing)

I think it's possible that J.B. Shuck is the 4th OF and TNT starts the year in AAA.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:37 PM)
Just curious... Who was the last hitting prospect the Sox actually developed? How many on the current projected roster?

I think those answers should show that if KW/RH are to want to sign a guy like Upton & give up a pick that isn't even an original pick, why not do it?

This team can't keep wasting this pitching to wait on hitters/position players they can't develop.

Hey, I get it... This team is frustrating but I'm not going to fault them for adding talent to a needy roster.

Not sure about the answer. Was Crede the best recent one? Or Magglio?

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:37 PM)

Well said. Basically punting the next two seasons like some here suggest just lose two controllable and cheap years of our stars and narrows the window.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
Not sure about the answer. Was Crede the best recent one? Or Magglio?

I guess that's kinda my point.

Personally, I have little faith in the current leadership to develop position players. So, I'll gladly sacrifice a QO pick for a guy like Upton.

I don't see a problem with signing someone like this. I would love Cespedes but Upton works as well. Heyward is going to be way too damn expensive.