White Sox targeting OF Justin Upton

GGajewski18

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would much rather pay 75 million more to upgrade both hitting and our atrocious OF defense than pay our biggest contract ever and ensure that our defense will be awful for a long time. Very tired of this video game approach to improving the white sox.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:54 PM)
Would much rather pay 75 million more to upgrade both hitting and our atrocious OF defense than pay our biggest contract ever and ensure that our defense will be awful for a long time. Very tired of this video game approach to improving the white sox.

Yes! And alot less K's than Upton too.

:headbang :cheers :drink

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:54 PM)

Agree, but let be real, the Sox aren't signing Heyward. He may cost over $200M.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)
I'm okay with Upton if they get rid of Melky and trade Eaton.

Avi-Trayce-Upton is a much better OF.

Much rather sign Upton than trade young players to rent an overrated fraud like Frazier.

LOL this is asinine. Just awful.

Anyone know what Heyward and Upton are projected to make annually? If Upton is in the 20M+ range then I say spend the extra and go for Heyward. Either way the Sox lose a pick so if they are genuinely interested in a FA with a QO attached then, f*** it, go for broke.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
Don't forget the QO loss.

Also, Eaton is probably better.

If it is the one we gained from Jeff's signing, technically we don't lose or gain anything which IMO makes it worth it. But to me you HAVE to get rid of LaRoche or Avi if we sign an OF whichever one you don't trade is probably the DH or Melky

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:14 PM)
If it is the one we gained from Jeff's signing, technically we don't lose or gain anything which IMO makes it worth it. But to me you HAVE to get rid of LaRoche or Avi if we sign an OF whichever one you don't trade is probably the DH or Melky

Avi can be optioned.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 7m7 minutes ago

#WhiteSox talking to free agents with QOs attached. Upton is their prime target. Should be an interesting few days.

There were rumors at the deadline that the Sox liked Upton.

Is RaBBit (poster on here) now a reliable rumor source? Come on Brian, spill the beans!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:14 PM)

I doubt there's any takers on LaRoche, its likely he's the DH/1B with Abreu next season. If possible, trade Avi and Melky both ( easier said than done) and roll with Eaton in LF, Thompson in CF, Heyward/Upton in RF and Shuck is the 4th outfielder.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
I doubt there's any takers on LaRoche, its likely he's the DH/1B with Abreu next season. If possible, trade Avi and Melky both ( easier said than done) and roll with Eaton in LF, Thompson in CF, Heyward/Upton in RF and Shuck is the 4th outfielder.

I'm not sure why people are so down on Melky. I think he is a piece that we should keep. His offense is better then what Thompson or LaRoche will offer

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)
I'm okay with Upton if they get rid of Melky and trade Eaton.

Avi-Trayce-Upton is a much better OF.

Much rather sign Upton than trade young players to rent an overrated fraud like Frazier.

Lol...only you would want to sign Upton and then trade Eaton to clear room for Trayce & Avi. What an absolutely horrible, nonsensical idea.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:24 PM)
I'm not sure why people are so down on Melky. I think he is a piece that we should keep. His offense is better then what Thompson or LaRoche will offer

I'm really not down on him and much prefer to keep Melky's bat and DH him. Thompson brings much better defensive onto the field, speed and potentially more power than Melky too. The problem is LaRoche isn't going anywhere since its not likely any team is crazy enough to take on his 13M salary so the SOX would have to use him as a bench bat, which doesn't seem likely given his salary. That's why I said trade Melky/Avi.

Edited by BlackSox13

Upton is definitely a power hitter. We'd have at least one to go with Abreu in returning to some lift and pull action in a small ballpark. Is he a free agent? Won't he require about 25 to 30 mill a year? I mean he definitely has the potential to hit 30 HR in the Cell.

I know the Sox have had some decent payrolls in the past 10 years, but if we truly are one of the small market teams, don't we have to go the way of the Royals to compete? We've got to somehow get young, cheap players and develop them and use them up til they become free agents, and then sign some guys for 8-10 million a year to supplement?

Signing Upton is a huge risk at 25 mill a year for 5-6 years because hey, what if he becomes Dunn/LaRoche/Melky? It's almost never worth the risk UNLESS you are a team with money to burn.

Now as a fan would I like Upton? Sure if he hits 30 HR to go with Abreu's 30! Of course.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)
Upton is definitely a power hitter. We'd have at least one to go with Abreu in returning to some lift and pull action in a small ballpark. Is he a free agent? Won't he require about 25 to 30 mill a year? I mean he definitely has the potential to hit 30 HR in the Cell.

I don't think he's as much of a power hitter as you think. He has hit 30 HRs one season in his career.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)
I'm really not down on him and much prefer to keep Melky's bat and DH him. Thompson brings much better defensive onto the field, speed and potentially more power than Melky too. The problem is LaRoche isn't going anywhere since its not likely any team is crazy enough to take on his 13M salary so the SOX would have to use him as a bench bat, which doesn't seem likely given his salary. That's why I said trade Melky/Avi.

I think losing Melky hurts this team more then trading LaRoche and eating half or more of his salary.

In reality Thompson will probably be the 4th OF

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:34 PM)
So GreenSox is a confirmed troll right? Only explanation for some of these comments

Yes. Jason Heyward,Adam Eaton and Todd Frazier arent good enough for the White Sox. Apparently Avi is though.