White Sox acquire Brett Lawrie

Baron

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 01:44 AM)
Videos of him slamming his helmet down, punching a water cooler, huffing around enraged in the dugout answered the "rage-filled" equation.

And his nickname from Oakland fans was "breh". The famous shirtless, 40oz pictures help support him being a "bro", outside of the Oakland fans calling him such.

In case you were wondering, Nick Swisher was the last "bro" we had. Not quite as rage-filled though.

Lol. Doesn't seem like anyone is going to change your mind, so I'm not going to try, but it's pretty ridiculous that you judge a person you've never met based on their looks or lifestyle. Donald Trump is doing something similar right now to millions of people...it's a bad look.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
It was posted in this thread that Mark Buehrle ( who is revered around here) said he had no problem at all with Lawrie . He was probably asked by the Sox front office about Lawrie's character before the Sox pulled the trigger on the trade. It needs to be emphasized and re-emphasized. We've probably all seen or knew athletes who were ultra competitive to the point of being dicks to umps and opposing players but with their own team mates they are the kind of guys you would want in a foxhole with you. Knowing a guy has your back is a good thing, a very good thing.

A few thoughts:

Boston couldn't wait to get rid of Carl Everett in 2005 and he was an important part in our WS win.

Overall AJ was a pain in the ass to everyone but the White Sox. He was certainly a positive addition despite his personality.

Buehrle also said after the changes Toronto made in 2014, including Lawrie, that it was important that their clubhouse chemistry be altered. So maybe Lawrie adds some spice to the Sox clubhouse.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 02:44 AM)
Videos of him slamming his helmet down, punching a water cooler, huffing around enraged in the dugout answered the "rage-filled" equation.

And his nickname from Oakland fans was "breh". The famous shirtless, 40oz pictures help support him being a "bro", outside of the Oakland fans calling him such.

In case you were wondering, Nick Swisher was the last "bro" we had. Not quite as rage-filled though.

Geez, punched a water cooler? Call the commissioner.

Blue Jays fans make fun of Donaldson for his man-bun and bro-attitude. They struggle on a daily basis to work through it. Pray for them.

Swisher didn't work out. That was 7/8 years ago. Get over it.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 09:30 PM)
I follow along on this site fairly religiously. Seldom do I feel the need to post something, unless I'm drunk or some dumb s***.

but I feel the need to add this to the discussion.

I live in Toronto. I worked as a bartender during Lawrie's rookie year. He was a hero. No other way to put it. He was the franchise saviour for the Blue Jays. He was the Canadian cover athlete for our version of MLB THE SHOW, for example.

He was still a kid. Maybe 22? I met him a couple times while working. He always seemed quiet and polite, though somewhat intense. Never rude.

Then he was traded for Josh Donaldson. He was expected to replace an MVP type player. Again, perhaps impossible expectations

What I'm getting at is....maybe he can benefit from not being expected to be "the answer" and just be the player he is. I think that can be a good player.

If you excuse intensity for being a "douche" that's is a mistake. And those who like to make personal assumptions about people they don't know? Chill, head.

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing. What was the popular bar for the ball players, the Underground?

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 04:03 AM)
Just skimmed this thread. Fun thread. Boy was I wrong thinking stuff would heat up. Moves are taking a long time which is working in our favor.

If Nightengale or whoever wrote it is correct in saying we are only offering 3 years, we are not going to sign Upton, Gordon or Cespedes. That's not being negative, that's a fact, right?? In what scenario would any of those guys go for three years?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 10:55 PM)
If Nightengale or whoever wrote it is correct in saying we are only offering 3 years, we are not going to sign Upton, Gordon or Cespedes. That's not being negative, that's a fact, right?? In what scenario would any of those guys go for three years?

Posturing. They know it won't be a 3 year deal.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 08:31 PM)
I really like this trade a lot.

I loved the deal until the Frazier deal which puts him at 2B. Hopefully his defense is average enough. The bat should play out at least. I still feel the sox would've been stronger with Sanchez at 2B, Frazier at 3B and finding our resources for a SS (been plus defensively at every position in the infield minus maybe 1B) and the OF but not gonna complain about it. Still like the deal alot.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 11:45 PM)
I loved the deal until the Frazier deal which puts him at 2B. Hopefully his defense is average enough. The bat should play out at least. I still feel the sox would've been stronger with Sanchez at 2B, Frazier at 3B and finding our resources for a SS (been plus defensively at every position in the infield minus maybe 1B) and the OF but not gonna complain about it. Still like the deal alot.

Lawrie basically cost no resources to acquire though. What we used to get Lawrie would not be enough to upgrade at SS.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 12:21 AM)
There will be days where Frazier DH's and Lawrie plays the field. Is it obvious to anyone else that the Sox are going to use the DH position to keep guys fresh?

Good point.

This gives them a bench and some flexibility at a cost of really 2 C prospects.

• 3 months later...

God forbid I talk people out of making up their minds on trades three weeks in, but be careful with the Lawrie love. I don't want anybody's heart broken.

He's very streaky. He's the kind of guy who gets added and dropped six times during a fantasy season. He's been great and if this is actually his breakout then watch out, but I get the feeling

we'll be enduring a couple 6-for-50's.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
Ehh, Lawrie is no doubt intense, but I don't get the same douche vibe from him that I got from Swisher.

Same. His teammates seem to geniunely like him, especially Frazier. I'm gonna stick in his corner until he proves I shouldn't. I love what he's brought to this team.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
Lawrie kind of reminds me of Swisher.. All that energy and brotastic attitude. Just hope he can play better here.

Lawrie is the kind of bro you want on a sports team though.. Super into his athleticism and body. Swisher was the kind of bro who should have stuck to drinking and trying to be a comedian.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:42 PM)
What's with Lawrie and his mouthguard? Impressing the chicks?

I like his play, however. Zach Erwin had a decent start in A Ball this year.

Austin Jackson has one too. A lot of basketball and baseball guys have one. I think I read where it relaxes you or something like that.