Plans for rest of the Off Season

GGajewski18

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
Am I the only one who got confused by the name Robinson?

And 2DBill, yes mate, complete fantasy.

My bad- I meant David Robertson.

I still think there is some possibilities with trading Robertson

Just today one of the sports headlines in the LA Times read:

"The Dodgers need Help ,fast"

QUOTE (2Dbill @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 11:30 PM)

all too true and i would have gone a different rt. but hey that is me.

QUOTE (2Dbill @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)

Dodgers and Yankees had talk about Andrew Miller. I think if Dodgers offered Puig for Miller, they would gladly say yes, without an extra first round pick or Hernandez.

As for other trades for prospects, I am sure why the other teams will bite on those trades, and the Rockies definitely do not need another OF for McMahon. The only semi-realistic one is Micah for Ramirez, but not sure why the Sox would trade a ML ready talent for someone who's at least 3 years away.

QUOTE (2Dbill @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
Desperate times lead to desperate actions.

Three teams from last year’s playoffs have or are projected to experience significant losses: Kansas City, the Cardinals and the Dodgers .the Royals and the Cardinals lost in the area where the sox also have a need-the outfield(I’m forgetting about Lackey as I think Heyward was a much bigger loss). The Dodgers lost big with Greinke . In the last few days the LA sports sites were talking about how they would have to settle for Cueto. Well that didn’t turn out too good for them either. Their fall back plan seemed to be to create a lights out relief back end with Chapman and Jansen and that fell thru .I think the Dodgers are getting desperate. I think we should see what the return would be for David Robinson.

I would trade Robinson and Thompson to the Dodgers for Puig and Kiki Hernandez and one of their 1st round comp picks.

I would sign Cespedes to a 5 year 1,112,000 (25/25/22/20/20) deal with an opt-out after year 2.

I would sign Alexi Ramirez to a 1year 6.5million deal.

I would trade Avi Garcia and Robinson Leyer to the Rockies for prospects 3rd base Ryan Mc Mahon and catcher Dom Nunez.

I would trade Adam Engel to the New York Mets for 1st base prospect Dominic Smith.

I would trade Mica Johnson to the Pirates for outfield prospect Harold Ramirez.

I know people are going to say that the Puig trade is ridiculous- the Dodgers would never agree to it. But given the circumstances I’m not so sure. They seem to be petrified to trade any of their prospects. It seems Friedman thinks he is still in Tampa Bay.

This would allow them to continue their plan of having a strong back end to their bullpen ( the only option they really have left). Robinson is also signed for three more years while Jansen is only signed for 2016. If Puig is as much of a problem as the rumors say it would solve that problem as well. There have been 3 trades so far this season which were considered significant overpays(Arizona for Miller,Boston for Smith and Huston for Giles) why can’t the dodgers be the fourth? I know I’m rubbing it in to ask for a comp pick but they may be desperate.

On the sox side I think the influence of Abreu, Cespedes and Ramirez would do wonders for Puig.

I am not signing Ramirez just for Puig. The more I thought about it the more I liked Ramirez in a part time role this year.

The bullpen would be weaker but the daily lineup would be much improved and the starting pitching would be unaffected. In addition the sox would have 4 picks among the first 50 in next year’s draft. And by trading Robinson you free up the money for Cespedes as the efforts to unload Laroche seem to be going nowhere.

Fantasy?

If your major premise that Dodgers are desperate is correct, and that they need to strengthen their bullpen, then Sox should get more for Robertson and Trayce. Puig got fat and has warts; I don't know much about Kiki. But Robertson should get their attention.

Wouldn't it have been a lot better to have traded Robertson's relatively higher salary to the Yankees last July, gotten a prospect or two back, and then spent a lot less on K-Rod for this year?

Even if we were able to trade Robertson for Puig+, which is dubious...you'd then have Nate Jones or Petricka as your closer and that's going to end up with so-so results at best.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 07:20 PM)
Wouldn't it have been a lot better to have traded Robertson's relatively higher salary to the Yankees last July, gotten a prospect or two back, and then spent a lot less on K-Rod for this year?

Even if we were able to trade Robertson for Puig+, which is dubious...you'd then have Nate Jones or Petricka as your closer and that's going to end up with so-so results at best.

The Yankees claimed Robertson off waivers, we couldn't have gotten any prospects from them, only options were to pull him back or let him go and have them absorb the entire contract.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)
The Yankees claimed Robertson off waivers, we couldn't have gotten any prospects from them, only options were to pull him back or let him go and have them absorb the entire contract.

They can't sneak a player or two back as PTBNL's (maybe a pool of 2-3 players is set at that time, and they would be able to choose 1-2) after the season is over?

Hmmm....

At any rate, the White Sox are currently 19th-21st in terms of betting odds for the World Series title in 2016.

Not surprisingly, the Cubs are 1st and Giants just moved up with the Cueto deal. Red Sox are 3rd and surprisingly the Yankees are barely in the top half. Orioles and Angels really need to make some moves.

https://sports.bovada.lv/baseball

AL Central

Tied for 4th--KC

Tied for 14th--CLE Indians/Detroit Tigers

Tied for 19th--White Sox/Twins/Orioles

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 06:37 AM)
i know that trading with or trying to trade with cincy is near impossible. but today on mlbt, cincy is looking or just made avail Brandon Phillips ...

if the cost is not too ridiculous, he might be a nice option.

I think Cincinnati made most available a while ago. Tho nationals and cincy are in talks over phillips. Also you are talking about a 34 going to be 35 year old in 2016 with 2 years left on contract at about 27 million all together

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
I think Cincinnati made most available a while ago. Tho nationals and cincy are in talks over phillips. Also you are talking about a 34 going to be 35 year old in 2016 with 2 years left on contract at about 27 million all together

i did make one mistake, i didn't see that the trade discussion was with the nat'l. my bad on that.

but in ref to you question, if the cost would not have been too much in a sense of the asking price for him. yeah. 2 yrs on a contract, he will help out a lot on what will be needed in the infield including defense and yes a great hitting skills with that.

however if one is only looking at the salary, i can see how the FO may think this is too much of a price, meaning his salary.

btw a nice counter.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (2Dbill @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)

Meh. The Dodgers have the best pitcher in baseball. They have a great shot at landing Kenta Maeda and have DeLeon and Urias coming up soon. They have bigger problems on offense than they do in the pitching department.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Meh. The Dodgers have the best pitcher in baseball. They have a great shot at landing Kenta Maeda and have DeLeon and Urias coming up soon. They have bigger problems on offense than they do in the pitching department.

in all this you are right, but a great pitcher and closer, esp in the playoff where the starting 3 sp can negate a solid hitter. in addition, their window of opportunity is again closing to some players getting older, and the money already invested in the salary of the current team.

they really have no choice, like the gaints and the cards but to go that extra distance and acquire key players.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
in all this you are right, but a great pitcher and closer, esp in the playoff where the starting 3 sp can negate a solid hitter. in addition, their window of opportunity is again closing to some players getting older, and the money already invested in the salary of the current team.

they really have no choice, like the gaints and the cards but to go that extra distance and acquire key players.

They have better top end prospects than those teams though. Just because they have money doesn't mean they should spend it poorly.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
They have better top end prospects than those teams though. Just because they have money doesn't mean they should spend it poorly.

and again you are right, but those key prospects are not ready now..... they are looking at now as oppose to 2 yrs when those prospect can help.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)

The Dodgers still have money to spend. They already have an elite closer and they are the favorites to sign Kenta Maeda. Their other starting pitchers are (Kershaw, Anderson, Iwakuma, McCarthy, Ryu, and Wood). They have 4 of the top 25 prospects in baseball (Seager, Urias, De Leon, and Peraza). They have an OF logjam with Puig, Crawford, Ethier, Pederson, and Van Slyke). I think the Dodgers are the team that should trade for Todd Frazier if Seager can stay at SS. The Dodgers aren't done yet and I wouldn't exactly count them out of this thing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
The Dodgers still have money to spend. They already have an elite closer and they are the favorites to sign Kenta Maeda. Their other starting pitchers are (Kershaw, Anderson, Iwakuma, McCarthy, Ryu, and Wood). They have 4 of the top 25 prospects in baseball (Seager, Urias, De Leon, and Peraza). They have an OF logjam with Puig, Crawford, Ethier, Pederson, and Van Slyke). I think the Dodgers are the team that should trade for Todd Frazier if Seager can stay at SS. The Dodgers aren't done yet and I wouldn't exactly count them out of this thing.

i wouldn't count then out either, but i can see how, maybe they can get a little nervous and make a trade. a trade for a key sp. thing is, they will need to decide on those key prospects you mention, if they would be willing to trade them.

btw, with the key closer they have, then why were they looking at chapman???

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
Remember, keep this thread strictly to plans of what Sox could/should do given the current moves already. Do not stray off topic.

Sign OF Justin Upton 6 years/125 million

Trade OF Avail Garcia, SS Tim Anderson, SP Frankie Montas, and 2B Micah Johnson to the Reds for Todd Frazier

Bold #1. This needs to happen now.

Bold #2. I was close, and our deal was even better.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
Am I the only one that would like to see Javy Baez on the South Side? I'm intrigued by his potential.

I bet Adams/Danish/Beck and someone else would get him.

I'd like him but he'd have to be willing and able to entertain the idea of a position switch to LF/RF. Not sure I'd give up Adams for him but you have to give to get.