Jason Heyward to Cubs (8 yrs 184M)

GGajewski18

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
Eventually it may be your choice to pay or not to pay. I think someday, you will be able to watch programs or games one at a time, and pay for that indivually. Right now, my brother lives in Switzerland, and he pays $15 to watch the Bears on Sundays. There are select Sox games he can get for a cheaper price. That is pricier than it would be here I would imagine.

Pay tv is too big an empire, will never happen. Same as ala carte programming.

If you could pay for what you wanted, 80% of the television stations would go out of business. Who would pay anything for Audible?

Finally had chance to listen to the Score today. Literally first thing I heard was Boers saying Sox fans should jump on the Cubs bandwagon. Ever since it became obvious the Cubs were jumping to the Score, it seems all their hosts have just become massive hypocrites and homers. I really can't see any reason to listen to that station again.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
I am tired of the gloom and doom posts. The Cubs sign Heyward for a massively overpayment and all we hear is the Sox are going into the toilet and will be moving to another city. Ridiculous. I am glad we aren't pending the kind of money the Cubs are, or some other teams for that matter. We can do better in filling our needs then give all our money to one player. We did make some good moves for 2015 and I am certain we will make some good moves for 2016. The players slumped and can come back from that. Think negatively and it's always going to be bad. Let's be realistic here and act positively about the Sox and the team ownership.

I'm really like this post and agree 1000%. The Heyward sweepstakes were fun to follow and discuss but in the end, what matters to me is what the Sox do to improve the team and I could give a toss what the cubs do. The off season is not over by any means. Great post 'elrockinMT!

If the White Sox were actually in the middle of their three year window, they'd be signing Alex Gordon, Cespedes or Upton, adding a 2nd/3rd tier starting pitcher and figuring out a way to shore up SS.

All of those moves made before 2015 had a much bigger (negative) impact than anyone could have imagined.

We're likely to be stuck with Dexter Fowler or Span as our big outfield acquisition, or more likely...Austin Jackson or Travis Snider.

The fact of the matter is that between the Cubs and the rest of the American League Central being better positioned than us for the next two years (just wait, the Tigers aren't done spending), it's hard to see how they even have a chance to compete before 2018...and by then you're also risking injuries or a decline from Sale, Abreu, Q, Rodon and Eaton.

The only way it (competing) seemingly happens is if Tim Anderson and Fulmer become close to All-Star level players, Rodon takes the next step up in his progression and Montas becomes a monster out of the bullpen. What are the odds? Avi has already flopped, and he was viewed by most as a core member of the future offense entering 2015.

As it is right now, unless they're willing to spend significantly or make at least one high impact trade, there's simply zero reason for them to hold onto the likes of Cabrera and Robertson...because there's not going to be a single team in the Central they would be favored to beat as currently constituted.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
If the White Sox were actually in the middle of their three year window, they'd be signing Alex Gordon, Cespedes or Upton, adding a 2nd/3rd tier starting pitcher and figuring out a way to shore up SS.

All of those moves made before 2015 had a much bigger (negative) impact than anyone could have imagined.

We're likely to be stuck with Dexter Fowler or Span as our big outfield acquisition, or more likely...Austin Jackson or Travis Snider.

The fact of the matter is that between the Cubs and the rest of the American League Central being better positioned than us for the next two years (just wait, the Tigers aren't done spending), it's hard to see how they even have a chance to compete before 2018...and by then you're also risking injuries or a decline from Sale, Abreu, Q, Rodon and Eaton.

The only way it (competing) seemingly happens is if Tim Anderson and Fulmer become close to All-Star level players, Rodon takes the next step up in his progression and Montas becomes a monster out of the bullpen. What are the odds? Avi has already flopped, and he was viewed by most as a core member of the future offense entering 2015.

As it is right now, unless they're willing to spend significantly or make at least one high impact trade, there's simply zero reason for them to hold onto the likes of Cabrera and Robertson...because there's not going to be a single team in the Central they would be favored to beat as currently constituted.

I don't have any confidence that they'll spend this year. Maybe they'll shell out a few dollars next year but that still won't make us the favorites to win anything. We might as well trade Sale, Quintana and Abreu then. If we're not going to compete then why hold on to them?

I'd still confidently say we're better than the Tigers. However, every other ALC team is better positioned than us to compete. All of these minor moves may have us projected to win a few more games, but we're STILL not in any better position to win our division. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather Hahn not just assemble a team maybe, if everything goes right, they'll earn the second WC and once in: "anything can happen." Enough with assembling a collection of players, assemble a f***ing team; one capable of sustained success.

If Hahn is going to keep Quintana, Rodon and Sale entact, he has to sign Upton or Cespedes. Even with either, we're still going to win less than 90 games if everything goes right. But atleast you're taking advantage of a tremendous rotation with a significant offensive upgrade

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 06:25 PM)
I don't have any confidence that they'll spend this year. Maybe they'll shell out a few dollars next year but that still won't make us the favorites to win anything. We might as well trade Sale, Quintana and Abreu then. If we're not going to compete then why hold on to them?

They'll trade them too late before too early, every player you mentioned.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 06:33 PM)
See the 2015 Chicago White Sox and 2015 San Diego Padres.

Those were two bad teams trying to get better, this is a really good team who has gotten a lot better. They're obviously not guaranteed anything but they're absolutely one of, if not the favorite to win it all going into the season.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 06:29 PM)
I'd still confidently say we're better than the Tigers. However, every other ALC team is better positioned than us to compete. All of these minor moves may have us projected to win a few more games, but we're STILL not in any better position to win our division. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather Hahn not just assemble a team maybe, if everything goes right, they'll earn the second WC and once in: "anything can happen." Enough with assembling a collection of players, assemble a f***ing team; one capable of sustained success.

If Hahn is going to keep Quintana, Rodon and Sale entact, he has to sign Upton or Cespedes. Even with either, we're still going to win less than 90 games if everything goes right. But atleast you're taking advantage of a tremendous rotation with a significant offensive upgrade

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-tigers/pos...llpen-additions

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-tigers/pos...spring-training

At least they're trying.

If Victor Martinez returns to half the hitter he was, along with Kinsler, Miggy, JD Martinez and then they've got as good a chance as anyone to bring back Cespedes or add Gordon/Upton...assuming Verlander is the same pitcher he was in the last two months and Norris recovers, they're going to be better than the White Sox.

Zimmermann was the best option in terms of years and value on the pitching market imo. Maybin will be serviceable in that huge CF and Iglesias and McCann both outperformed their projections.

They dumped Price and Cespedes at the perfect time...while we were caught flat-footed and indecisive with Shark.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 01:39 AM)
Those were two bad teams trying to get better, this is a really good team who has gotten a lot better. They're obviously not guaranteed anything but they're absolutely one of, if not the favorite to win it all going into the season.

Yep they basically paid a lot of money for complimentary players for their roster, which makes sense.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 06:39 PM)

Zobrist and Heyward will be perfect additions for them. Maddon knows how to get the most out of Zobrist, and Heyward has extra/added value defensively protecting Schwarber and Soler/? on his flanks.

The Cubs are still in a great position to bundle all of their prospects and Baez to bring back Ross or one of the young Indians' pitchers. Scott Shields might be another option. They have a lot of opportunities left to investigate and the excess pool of young talent to entice any number of teams that salivated watching the Kimbrel, Giles and Miller moves.

Arrieta will probably regress, but they still have Lester, Lackey, Hammel, Kendrick and Adam Warren for depth. (And one of those last two starters could be added to any package).

The bullpen has its soft spots, but no team is perfect.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 06:39 PM)

True that. I'm not a Cubs hater by any means and it's interesting seeing what they're doing. All we can realistically ask for as baseball fans is meaningful games in September and I think their fans are in for a treat.

Edited by soxfan2014

Lester and Zobrist deals are arguably much bigger risks...or a potential Arrieta one.

Heyward fits perfectly into their timetable over the next 3-4 years of his prime.

These days, you have to excel at scouting and development, dip significantly into the international market or be willing to spend big bucks in free agency. The White Sox simply don't have a niche yet and that's why they have consistently ended up with second and third tier free agents over the last decade.

There are only three exceptions. Abreu, Robertson and Dunn.

Not sure how anyone is ripping this deal. I hate the Cubs as much as anyone on this board, but this deal is a no-brainer for them. With the opt-out clauses, it would take a catastrophic injury that saps into his athleticism for this deal to go south.

The only good news from an anti-Cubs perspective is their rotation is far from a sure thing. If all goes right, it can still be one of the best in the NL, but given age & health concerns, things could turn for the worse very quickly.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 06:20 PM)
So let me ask you guys what do we think the move to cf does to his individual worth in the advanced stats world? So much of his value is tied up into being the best rf on the planet that I'm interested what happens to that if he's just an above average cf?

I honestly believe Theo/Jed are bluffing. Heyward is such a question mark in CF. There is no way they go into the season with Schwarber and Soler as the corner OFs. That D would be bad. I still think Heyward is their RF on opening day and Soler (or Baez) is dealt for a CF.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)
Heyward is a good player being paid like a great one.

Fitting for the franchise he signed with.

I would put it more like this: he is a great player being paid like one.

Over the past four years, he is 7th overall in WAR among position players. He may not be an elite offensive player, but he is that defensively. This is just a great signing for the Cubs. If the Sox signed him, he'd instantly be the best player on the team, and probably the team's best overall player since Magglio.

As a Sox fan, welcome to hell for the next decade.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)
I honestly believe Theo/Jed are bluffing. Heyward is such a question mark in CF. There is no way they go into the season with Schwarber and Soler as the corner OFs. That D would be bad. I still think Heyward is their RF on opening day and Soler (or Baez) is dealt for a CF.

Or they could sign Span or bring back Fowler.

Otoh, they have lots of trade options and it's probably nearing time to start cashing in some of those prospect chips...keeping the payroll relatively controlled from here on out.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
I would put it more like this: he is a great player being paid like one.

Over the past four years, he is 7th overall in WAR among position players. He may not be an elite offensive player, but he is that defensively. This is just a great signing for the Cubs. If the Sox signed him, he'd instantly be the best player on the team, and probably the team's best overall player since Magglio.

As a Sox fan, welcome to hell for the next decade.

2008 Carlos Quentin says hello...yet another player whose career with the Sox didn't quite end up fulfilling its early promise.

You could probably get quite an argument from Konerko fans on the Magglio point as well.