Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
So supposedly the Sox really aren't going for J Ups anymore. Personally, I wanted him far more than Gordon or Cespedes, even if it means we give him a 6-7 year deal for a slightly larger AAV.

With Gordon, he's been awesome as an all around player, but I am really concerned about him stay healthy and getting us 150+ games a season.

With Cespedes, he brings that much needed power, but for the biggest contract we've ever given, I'd like a guy who has an OBP of over .320. He'd still be a great player, but I'm concerned about our financial resources going to a guy who hits for low average but can't draw walks that well.

I think Upton just brings that all-around player (power, OBP, speed, decent D) and I have a lot more confidence in his durability than the other 2.

Either way, this team will be better with any of these guys, but I am still holding out hope that we net Upton instead of the other too. Maybe the circles that the other rumors have gone in lately will lead a path back to Justin.

I agree.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
Who said this?

Well, perhaps you caught me assuming, as I don't think I've seen anyone directly say that the Sox weren't interested. But I guess it's the natural thought right now with everyone including Rosenthal only naming Cespedes and Gordon in regard to the Sox. And if the Sox land one of those 2, they clearly are not going to still be interested in Upton.

Do you think we have reason to believe they are pushing as much for Upton currently as Gordon/Cespedes? It just felt like(at least lately) Upton was only going to be reached for if we missed on the other 2. I hope you tell me I'm wrong.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
Well, perhaps you caught me assuming, as I don't think I've seen anyone directly say that the Sox weren't interested. But I guess it's the natural thought right now with everyone including Rosenthal only naming Cespedes and Gordon in regard to the Sox. And if the Sox land one of those 2, they clearly are not going to still be interested in Upton.

Do you think we have reason to believe they are pushing as much for Upton currently as Gordon/Cespedes? It just felt like(at least lately) Upton was only going to be reached for if we missed on the other 2. I hope you tell me I'm wrong.

sox are checking and trying with all their targets until told no.

Edited by soxman26

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
So supposedly the Sox really aren't going for J Ups anymore. Personally, I wanted him far more than Gordon or Cespedes, even if it means we give him a 6-7 year deal for a slightly larger AAV.

With Gordon, he's been awesome as an all around player, but I am really concerned about him stay healthy and getting us 150+ games a season.

With Cespedes, he brings that much needed power, but for the biggest contract we've ever given, I'd like a guy who has an OBP of over .320. He'd still be a great player, but I'm concerned about our financial resources going to a guy who hits for low average but can't draw walks that well.

I think Upton just brings that all-around player (power, OBP, speed, decent D) and I have a lot more confidence in his durability than the other 2.

Either way, this team will be better with any of these guys, but I am still holding out hope that we net Upton instead of the other too. Maybe the circles that the other rumors have gone in lately will lead a path back to Justin.

Those are the games played for Gordon from 2011-2014. One freak injury doesn't make him injury prone all of a sudden.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 8s8 seconds ago

Theres' been contact between O's & Justin Upton's camp. Matchup makes sense, especially if he goes Nelson Cruz route and takes 1-year deal.

I would kick my dog if Upton or Cespedes signed a short "prove it" deal and it wasn't with the Sox.

EDIT: I have a really big dog. So he'd be fine. Please don't call PETA

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
I would kick my dog if Upton or Cespedes signed a short "prove it" deal and it wasn't with the Sox.

If a guy signs a one year "prove it" deal, Camden Yards is a more attractive place to hit and stack up stats than the Cell. Just sayin...

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 8s8 seconds ago

Theres' been contact between O's & Justin Upton's camp. Matchup makes sense, especially if he goes Nelson Cruz route and takes 1-year deal.

I was thinking, why the hell would Upton do something like that? Then I thought about how Upton would be the biggest fish in a small FA pond next winter and it makes more sense. Off the top of my head, Upton's biggest competition next winter would be Rasmus.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)

:lolhitting

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
Good point, I take back my "hell no" and say "probably not"

Doesn't the CBA expire after this season?

Or maybe its 2017.

Anyway, when it's done, the first change will be the end of the QO tie to free agency (although they could keep the "gain a draft pick" part; but they'll for sure end the "lose the draft pick" side).

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Doesn't the CBA expire after this season?

Or maybe its 2017.

Anyway, when it's done, the first change will be the end of the QO tie to free agency (although they could keep the "gain a draft pick" part; but they'll for sure end the "lose the draft pick" side).

What do you think will happen then? The team just gains a draft pick and no team risks losing one when signing a guy?

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
Passan broke the Montas news, remember:

Tim McKernan ‏@tmckernan 19m19 minutes ago

From @JeffPassan: I hear Upton is going to sign for 1 year. If that's the case, there's absolutely no downside to doing a 1 year deal.

If Upton signs a one year deal before Cespedes signs, that could really put the Sox into a bind as it will put teams interested in Upton back into the Cespedes market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)
If Upton signs a one year deal before Cespedes signs, that could really put the Sox into a bind as it will put teams interested in Upton back into the Cespedes market.

Unless it is with the Sox..