Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
I also wonder if Casey Close is using the Sox as leverage against the Royals. Not saying that's the case at all, but I wonder...

I'm almost positive that's going on in most negotiations(but that's not to say that they arent willing to accept the White Sox's offer). But the Royals are in a weird place right now. They are about to have a ton of talent hit free agency in 17 and I believe 18 as well.

Edited by Baron

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
Didnt Dan just say a few weeks ago that the team might not add anyone after Lawrie?

Them giving up Shark's draft pick wouldnt make his drum beating articles over them not doing that look good.

Dan refuted the interest in Frazier after the Lawrie trade, then said he was overpriced & it wouldn't happen.

Now he's saying they won't go after any of the big bats, especially the ones with a pick attached. Yet, multiple national writers have said the exact opposite. This stance he keeps taking is going to blow up in his face very soon.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
I also wonder if Casey Close is using the Sox as leverage against the Royals. Not saying that's the case at all, but I wonder...

If he is any good as an agent, I would hope he is. That being said, money talks and there is a certain figure Gordon needs to stay in Kansas City. They don't seem willing to reach it yet.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
That's the thing, if that is what is happening, everyone but the Royals win.

1. The price goes up for the Royals, which help the White Sox, Casey Close and Gordon

2. It makes the Sox look like major players in the FA market, which gets the fans excited

If I'm Hahn and I got that call from Close, I'd be 100% OK with their camp leaking out that story.

I have no problem with any of that. Especially the part where the Royals eat it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:05 PM)
I have no problem with any of that. Especially the part where the Royals eat it.

They are going to eat it next year anyway. Meet Scott Boras. I'd rather take a player away from them and get the ship to start sinking.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:33 PM)
Dan refuted the interest in Frazier after the Lawrie trade, then said he was overpriced & it wouldn't happen.

Now he's saying they won't go after any of the big bats, especially the ones with a pick attached. Yet, multiple national writers have said the exact opposite. This stance he keeps taking is going to blow up in his face very soon.

I don't pay attention to him. He's not reporting anything with any true inside insight. He downplays moves every year and is super conservative. Did it last offseason.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
I don't pay attention to him. He's not reporting anything with any true inside insight. He downplays moves every year and is super conservative. Did it last offseason.

All I know is he has made it very obvious that he has no idea what is going on but is getting paid to act like he does. He's been wrong multiple times this offseason & if any of these reports come out to be true, he'll be wrong again on the OF'er front.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:18 AM)
All I know is he has made it very obvious that he has no idea what is going on but is getting paid to act like he does. He's been wrong multiple times this offseason & if any of these reports come out to be true, he'll be wrong again on the OF'er front.

I just go with the opposite of what he says.

Hell I think it was Merkin that had a story of some sort about Frazier a day or so before we got him. I thought it was odd...then boom! We got him.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
I'd offer Gordon 4/70 and if he declines, f*** him and go all in for Cespedes or Upton.

Those guys are asking for twice as much as that. And they're not twice as good as Gordon. And I wouldn't bet on either of them to be better than Gordon next year.

Perhaps this is how it's playing out:

RH (to Gordon's agent, Casey Close):

We want your guy. We also want the PR spike that comes from a holiday gift for our fans. 4/$72 ($18M AV). Very strong offer. If you need that 5th year, it's 5/$80 ($16M AV). Offer open until 12/30, but then we move on. Get your guy to join next year's division champ. And he won't have to flail at Sale.

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 08:17 AM)
Perhaps this is how it's playing out:

RH (to Gordon's agent, Casey Close):

We want your guy. We also want the PR spike that comes from a holiday gift for our fans. 4/$72 ($18M AV). Very strong offer. If you need that 5th year, it's 5/$80 ($16M AV). Offer open until 12/30, but then we move on. Get your guy to join next year's division champ. And he won't have to flail at Sale.

Unfortuantely with the reports out there, that AV you suggest is not going to be enough to to sign him. If we were offering that he would just go back to the Royals, but according to Heyman AGs camp told them as of now they are out because they were offering basically the same contract you just suggested. If the money is close he'll go back to KC, the only way he leaves is if he gets more money, closer to the $20 mil/year or if he gets that 5th year.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
Unfortuantely with the reports out there, that AV you suggest is not going to be enough to to sign him. If we were offering that he would just go back to the Royals, but according to Heyman AGs camp told them as of now they are out because they were offering basically the same contract you just suggested. If the money is close he'll go back to KC, the only way he leaves is if he gets more money, closer to the $20 mil/year or if he gets that 5th year.

All "reports" I've seen had the AG group seeking 5 years at an AAV of $20K per and the Royals "allegedly" offering 4 years at an AAV of $12-13M. Of course, all agents and clubs use the press for leverage and obfuscation.

However, if the above reports are true or nearly so, then letting Gordon choose between 4/$72M and 5/$80M is quite a bit better than anything the Royals have on the table.

Personally, my belief is that with all the younger talent coming up for the Royals who need to be signed the next 1-2 years, they've got a line in the sand pegged for Gordon. At or below that line, they'll welcome back their native son with open arms. Above that line, they'll feel the need to be disciplined for the priorities that Hosmer, Perez, and Moustakas have over AG because of age, position, or both.

I think the Royals ceiling is likely $15-16M AAV. I haven't seen anything that suggests they've offered nearly that high (which is why his agent is likely working hard to create the reality or illusion of a market). I think a White Sox offer of 4/$72M or 5/$80M is likely $10M or more better than what the Royals would offer. That's likely enough to get him to move to the Dark Side. And if necessary, I'd bump it up to 4/$76M or 5/$85M.

KC is in the proverbial pickle. Gordon is ripe for the plucking. Get 'er done, Rick.

Edited by CyAcosta41