Baseball America White Sox top 10 list

royoung

I will feel much better if Adams/Danish have dominant seasons.

Goes without saying, but Hawkins having a breakout season would also make the list a lot better. 2 dynamic hitters/3 dynamic pitchers makes up for a lot.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's important to point there isn't one Latin American signing in that list. If I had to guess, I would have to think there are only a handful of other teams (if any) without one in their top 10. Outside of a few exceptions, we've pretty much have had to rely on the draft to build our minor league system. That's obviously changing and the good news is we'll finally see the fruits of our labor this year with the first wave of guys hitting full-season ball and a ton more interesting prospects in rookie leagues. Even if that top 10 list is a bit underwhelming, there is plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the system.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
I think it's important to point there isn't one Latin American signing in that list. If I had to guess, I would have to think there are only a handful of other teams (if any) without one in their top 10. Outside of a few exceptions, we've pretty much have had to rely on the draft to build our minor league system. That's obviously changing and the good news is we'll finally see the fruits of our labor this year with the first wave of guys hitting full-season ball and a ton more interesting prospects in rookie leagues. Even if that top 10 list is a bit underwhelming, there is plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the system.

Carlos Sanchez is here. Micker should be on that list. The talent is starting to flow up through the system for sure. I see no way in 2016 that the list doesn't include at least one LA signing.

There's a crowd of interesting LatAm guys who, at least for me, are currently in the 20-40 range in the system - but with potential for much higher if things pan out. Guys like Amado Nunez, Fernando Tatis Jr, Franklin Reyes, Yosmer Solorzano, Johan Cruz and Maiker Feliz are all guys who will be in or close to the 15-30 range in our deeper list coming out soon. Add that to Adolfo, and that's a pretty nice talent pool. Doesn't even include some other guys lower down but also with potential, like Carlos Perez.

This is what I mean when I say the "back end" of the list is filling in nicely. Johan Cruz is a guy who may even be in the mid-teens in the system.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
There's a crowd of interesting LatAm guys who, at least for me, are currently in the 20-40 range in the system - but with potential for much higher if things pan out. Guys like Amado Nunez, Fernando Tatis Jr, Franklin Reyes, Yosmer Solorzano, Johan Cruz and Maiker Feliz are all guys who will be in or close to the 15-30 range in our deeper list coming out soon. Add that to Adolfo, and that's a pretty nice talent pool. Doesn't even include some other guys lower down but also with potential, like Carlos Perez.

This is what I mean when I say the "back end" of the list is filling in nicely. Johan Cruz is a guy who may even be in the mid-teens in the system.

Alfaro will be another one worth watching.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
I will feel much better if Adams/Danish have dominant seasons.

Goes without saying, but Hawkins having a breakout season would also make the list a lot better. 2 dynamic hitters/3 dynamic pitchers makes up for a lot.

If you can get a jump out of guys that have been sort of written off (say a Hawkins, Walker, Barnum, etc) and the system gets a whole lot better. Danish and Adams will be tough reads as they are both being pushed pretty well.

@Jaypers413 (IL): Where would Montas, Johnson and Thompson have ranked?

Matt Eddy: All three appear in the Prospect Handbook in the White Sox chapter. RHP Frankie Montas ranks No. 3, OF Trayce Thompson No. 5 and Micah Johnson No. 8. Montas could be ready for a bullpen role in 2016 if the Dodgers pursue that option. Rival talent evaluators seemed to place stock in Thompson's two-month stretch in the majors, so he might have found a new level. Johnson will be a fine NL player, especially if he can learn to play LF and CF as well as 2B. If he doesn't reach his ceiling as a table-setter at least he would have pinch-hit and pinch-run value.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
He is, but like a lot of guys from the 2014 and 2015 signing classes, we don't yet have a lot of scouting information to go on.

There is a whole lot of discussion around the Venezuelan kids the last couple of classes. With all of the problems there these guys are getting scouted a lot less as a lot fewer teams are willing to send their personnel into the country. There is a decent amount of discussion around some of these kids being signed for a discount because of it. Some feel Perez might be one of those guys who fell through the cracks.

Cruz, Feliz, Perez, 3 of my favorite guys to follow in the system. It's highly likely that one of the 3 would crack our top 10 next season. Cruz has the highest potential if he moves back to SS and lives up to the reputation of being a strong defender at that spot.

I would also add Ramon Beltre to the list, kid just turned 19 and could be moving Stateside this coming season.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
Micah was still eligible as a prospect, barely. Same with Thompson.

Yep, thanks for correcting.

Strange that they use AB as a criteria instead of PA, so Trayce just fell under the 130 AB rule. Micah was also sent down before the 45 days window in May, so he still qualifies.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
Cruz, Felix, Perez, 3 of my favorite guys to follow in the system. It's highly likely that one of the 3 would crack our top 10 next season. Cruz has the highest potential if he moves back to SS and lives up to the reputation of being a strong defender at that spot.

I would also add Ramon Beltre to the list, kid just turned 19 and could be moving Stateside this coming season.

Is Felix referring to Felix Mercedes?

Antonio Rodriguez?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
Eh, after the top 3, it's pretty mediocre. System has taken a step back since summer, due to graduations, trades, etc. Talent there, especially in the younger ranks, but weakened in the 4 to 15 range.

But could take a big step forward this summer, presuming we don't trade a bunch of them.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
I'm glad Adolfo isn't on the list. Players shouldn't be on lists unless they've played in college or full season minor league ball. Prove you're a baseball player first, and don't just look good in a uniform.

Same for Zangari. I've seen high school kids do really well in Rookie ball, they go to low-A, and are never heard from again.

Completely disagree, plus I think that if you asked Sox brass where to rank Adolfo they would have him in the top ten.

And Micker has played a full season of ball the year before last.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
Baseball America has it as:

1. Tim Anderson SS

2. Carson Fulmer RHP

3. Spencer Adams RHP

4. Trey Michalczewski 3B

5. Jacob May CF

6. Tyler Danish RHP

7. Adam Engel OF

8. Jordan Guerrero LHP

9. Courtney Hawkins OF

10. Corey Zangari 1B

I think the Sox farm ranks in tat 25-30 range and if they want to compete while simultaneously building for long term sucess, then that has to improve. Keeping their comp pick would help that cause.

The presence of Anderson, Fulmer and Adams (to a lesser extent) make it top 21-25, but it's hard to argue between Sanchez, Saladino, Rodon and the three we traded to LA that the system's nearly as strong as the status entering 2015.

Last year, we were 12th or 13th to 17th in most rankings, right?

Our overall pitching depth is down, no catchers yet in sight and still waiting on the hitters.

May also seems a stretch...and obviously Hawkins is closer to suspect than prospect. Adolfo and Danish took steps back. It's still difficult to make the argument that we are well set up to graduate wave after wave into the big leagues, that's for sure.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
We'll see. The scouts on this board assured us he was a 4th OF.

Who "assured" you of that? What I've said, and I've seen other FS writers say (if that is what you mean by "scouts on this board), is that he's a 4th OF right now for sure, with a chance for more. How much of a chance is debatable.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
Who "assured" you of that? What I've said, and I've seen other FS writers say (if that is what you mean by "scouts on this board), is that he's a 4th OF right now for sure, with a chance for more. How much of a chance is debatable.

I should have put "scouts" in quotes, referring to how the board is generally dismissive toward all but the best prospects.

I really wasn't referring to you. I appreciate and respect your hard work.

Hopefully Anderson can develop some patience. That will be the difference between a great SS and another Alexei.