Chris Davis back to Baltimore

elwood5892

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chris-d...cespedes-011516

That's just an insane contract...and another massive win for Boras Corp.

So much for WAR. That's more than the Heyward deal for an older, basically one-dimensional, three outcome power hitter who has led MLB in homers and K's over the last three seasons (combined).

"I'm not just referring to how the Orioles and Davis seem to be at something of an impasse. I'm not just referring to how Davis has to this point been unable to drum up much of a market. It's just, this is going to require a lot of money, and it's hard to know what Davis is going to be. He's as much a boom-or-bust player as you can find: Last year, he hit as well as Jose Bautista; the year before, he hit as well as Jed Lowrie. He's been bad and he's been an MVP candidate, and there's a whole lot of space in between.

And you wonder what else this might indicate. This isn't something that just happens by accident, so Davis has made intentional adjustments. It's not like he's lacking in bat speed, but all-fields hitters tend to be less exploitable. Pull hitters can be easier to work around, and if Davis is gradually losing his ability to drive the ball with regularity to left and center, that could be the beginning of deterioration."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:28 AM)
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chris-d...cespedes-011516

That's just an insane contract...and another massive win for Boras Corp.

So much for WAR. That's more than the Heyward deal for an older, basically one-dimensional, three outcome power hitter who has led MLB in homers and K's over the last three seasons (combined).

"I'm not just referring to how the Orioles and Davis seem to be at something of an impasse. I'm not just referring to how Davis has to this point been unable to drum up much of a market. It's just, this is going to require a lot of money, and it's hard to know what Davis is going to be. He's as much a boom-or-bust player as you can find: Last year, he hit as well as Jose Bautista; the year before, he hit as well as Jed Lowrie. He's been bad and he's been an MVP candidate, and there's a whole lot of space in between.

And you wonder what else this might indicate. This isn't something that just happens by accident, so Davis has made intentional adjustments. It's not like he's lacking in bat speed, but all-fields hitters tend to be less exploitable. Pull hitters can be easier to work around, and if Davis is gradually losing his ability to drive the ball with regularity to left and center, that could be the beginning of deterioration."

It's not a massive win for Boras. He waited on a contract for weeks tried to market him as a OF and got 1 million more AAV. If anything the Orioles let him save face by not dropping the contract.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
It's not a massive win for Boras. He waited on a contract for weeks tried to market him as a OF and got 1 million more AAV. If anything the Orioles let him save face by not dropping the contract.

There couldve been some mystery team pushing the bidding a little, we dont know.

And now whoever that team is ..could turn their attention to Cespedes.

So the Sox arent necessarily out of the woods on this thing yet.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
There couldve been some mystery team pushing the bidding a little, we dont know.

And now whoever that team is ..could turn their attention to Cespedes.

So the Sox arent necessarily out of the woods on this thing yet.

He only got 1million per year more. No one pushing the bidding. It was just negotiations and he got nothing.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
Best outcome, but this probably means Cespedes for

Honestly, without the Orioles in play, I think 5/$90M may be enough. Not sure the Sox would be willing to go 5 years, but I really don't see another suitor out there that would be willing to either. Unless he's willing to take a 1 year deal (which would be crazy coming off the season he just has), I think this puts the Sox in a great spot. Got to be willing to go 4 years though.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)
He only got 1million per year more. No one pushing the bidding. It was just negotiations and he got nothing.

For a guy with two negative wars, a 1.3 and 1.8 in four of his last six big league seasons, i'd call that a huge victory even if the Orioles were only bidding against themselves.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)
For a guy with two negative wars, a 1.3 and 1.8 in four of his last six big league seasons, i'd call that a huge victory even if the Orioles were only bidding against themselves.

They offered 7/154 months ago. The negotiations probably cost him money if he invested it from the original contract. He went back to the Orioles and said give me 1 million more just so I can say that after months of negotiations I got him a better deal.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)

Maybe not pushing the offer to improve greatly, no...but just enough to make this drag out

We dont know.

I think people assume Cespedes is in deep trouble here, but we dont know what bids he has.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
Honestly, without the Orioles in play, I think 5/$90M may be enough. Not sure the Sox would be willing to go 5 years, but I really don't see another suitor out there that would be willing to either. Unless he's willing to take a 1 year deal (which would be crazy coming off the season he just has), I think this puts the Sox in a great spot. Got to be willing to go 4 years though.

I think the validity of the Baltimore offer to Cespedes has to be questioned now, but I was watching MLBN yesterday and they were asking ip the if you were Cespedes question would you sign for one year or the 5/$90 million. A couple of the non players thought about it, but every ex player said they would take the money.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
They offered 7/154 months ago. The negotiations probably cost him money if he invested it from the original contract. He went back to the Orioles and said give me 1 million more just so I can say that after months of negotiations I got him a better deal.

You don't get a lump sum and it's unlikely he makes 7 million in investments in four months when the global economy is spinning from oil. Boras did a tremendous job here. Absent the Orioles, what was Davis market? I wouldn't have guessed more than 20 mill aav

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:19 AM)
I think the validity of the Baltimore offer to Cespedes has to be questioned now, but I was watching MLBN yesterday and they were asking ip the if you were Cespedes question would you sign for one year or the 5/$90 million. A couple of the non players thought about it, but every ex player said they would take the money.

You're probably right and my guess is the Orioles never officially offered it, just communicated what terms they'd be willing to do. And while that "offer" was most likely purposely less than what Cespedes wants, I just can't see any team that's going to be willing to offer anything higher. Baltimore was the last team with money to burn that was determined to add a slugger.

At this point, Cespedes, Upton, & even Fowler are running out of suitors. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox "leak" they've made an offer to Fowler in the next couple days to try and make Cespedes s*** or get off the pot. Cespedes & Upton are quickly running out of leverage and I can't Cespedes at least taking a one year deal. The Sox really need to call his bluff in the near future.