Chris Davis back to Baltimore

elwood5892

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)
i don't know, but i think Balt just screwed the pooch on this.... the deal will end when davis is what, 36-37 yrs old....

Teams generally regret all deals like this. Funny thing is the owners never had to pay this kind of money to players. But fans don't mind paying 30 bucks for parking and 10 for a dog n 10 more to wash it down so I guess all is good

Tickets, parking and concessions count much closer to 20-25% for the typical team now than the previous 30-40% a decade or so ago.

HOW THE CHRIS DAVIS DEAL GOT DONE

MASNsports reporter Roch Kubatko says initial discussions were contentious but ultimately no other serious bidder emerged.

Espn.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 06:49 AM)
I don't see adding 1 million per year after months of negotiations as a tremendous job. It was technically an increase but nothing really.

Considering the fact that some of us thought that he might get less than the original offer once the Orioles rescinded it because there's no other team offering anything close, it looks like a fleecing. The original offer looked like a fleecing. And then he got offers from zero other teams and there's no logical landing spot for him other than Baltimore and then Baltimore ups their already crazy offer.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
Considering the fact that some of us thought that he might get less than the original offer once the Orioles rescinded it because there's no other team offering anything close, it looks like a fleecing. The original offer looked like a fleecing. And then he got offers from zero other teams and there's no logical landing spot for him other than Baltimore and then Baltimore ups their already crazy offer.

Exactly, Davis would have lost a ton of money if Baltimore would have finally told Boras to go f*** himself. Holding to his guns and getting even a cent more is incredible given he really didn't have any leverage.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)

Really doesn't matter what people on a message board think. There was no way the Orioles were going to lower the offer. He is a popular long term player who they wanted back and want to keep happy. The fact that the Orioles offered a contract and after months of negotiations, Boras got 1 million dollars per year but also had to give up more deferred money. That is a lot of negotiations for mostly nothing. Boras didn't do well in these negotiations.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
Really doesn't matter what people on a message board think. There was no way the Orioles were going to lower the offer. He is a popular long term player who they wanted back and want to keep happy. The fact that the Orioles offered a contract and after months of negotiations, Boras got 1 million dollars per year but also had to give up more deferred money. That is a lot of negotiations for mostly nothing. Boras didn't do well in these negotiations.

They shuffled some money around, deferring some payments so it looks like a bigger deal than what he initially turned down.Like you said, these guys are in business together, they don't want him to look bad. It is similar to teams always trying to avoid arbitration. They don't want the player to hear all the negative they have to give the arbitrators.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
Exactly, Davis would have lost a ton of money if Baltimore would have finally told Boras to go f*** himself. Holding to his guns and getting even a cent more is incredible given he really didn't have any leverage.

He had alot of leverage. the Orioles wanted him back. He's a productive player who fit what they wanted and was popular with the fan base. This was marketing as much as anything.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
Buster Olney

‏@Buster_ESPN

Chris Davis contract structure: $17m annual salary 2016-2022. Annual payments $3.5m 2023-32, then $1.4m 2033-37. No interest on deferrals.

The deferrals make a huge difference by keeping the annual salary down over the next 7 years. The money paid during those deferral years will have very little impact on the team's payroll. Much better deferral payments than what the Nat's will be dishing out on Scherzer.

I still think Baltimore was stupid for out-bidding themselves but were very smart with the deferrals. Also, I guess Boras/Davis weren't stupid after all.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
The deferrals make a huge difference by keeping the annual salary down over the next 7 years. The money paid during those deferral years will have very little impact on the team's payroll. Much better deferral payments than what the Nat's will be dishing out on Scherzer.

I still think Baltimore was stupid for out-bidding themselves but were very smart with the deferrals. Also, I guess Boras/Davis weren't stupid after all.

It's a great deal for Davis, period. The deferred money is tax-free in terms of Texas state income tax. Davis lives in Texas. Anyone saying Davis/Boras didn't come out on top is grasping at straws.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:27 PM)
It's a great deal for Davis, period. The deferred money is tax-free in terms of Texas state income tax. Davis lives in Texas. Anyone saying Davis/Boras didn't come out on top is grasping at straws.

So you are saying that basically accepting the Orioles first offer good negotiating. Usually the agents get more out of the team than the first offer.

i will admit that i don't see the difference of deferred money or not, they, balt will still have to pay the amount.... so it will be on the back end of the contract, so, it can affect any incoming salary still.... how does it help in the salary now???

i always thought it would help a team if the team is not financially stable, but i think balt is stable.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)
i will admit that i don't see the difference of deferred money or not, they, balt will still have to pay the amount.... so it will be on the back end of the contract, so, it can affect any incoming salary still.... how does it help in the salary now???

i always thought it would help a team if the team is not financially stable, but i think balt is stable.

The deferred payments are a tremendous help to Baltimore. Because of those deferred payments Baltimore will be paying Davis 17M per year instead of 23M per year over the next 7 years. The difference is 42M that will not be spent over the next 7 years and instead spread out over a 15 year period after the contract is over which will have minimal effect on the team's future payroll's. This is good for both Davis and Baltimore. As I said earlier, much better deal for the team than what the Nat's have with Scherzer.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
The deferred payments are a tremendous help to Baltimore. Because of those deferred payments Baltimore will be paying Davis 17M per year instead of 23M per year over the next 7 years. The difference is 42M that will not be spent over the next 7 years and instead spread out over a 15 year period after the contract is over which will have minimal effect on the team's future payroll's. This is good for both Davis and Baltimore. As I said earlier, much better deal for the team than what the Nat's have with Scherzer.

excellent explanation, now i kinda of feel stupid.

so in essence is is 42 mil spread out over 8 yrs, since the first 7 are deferred.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
Buster Olney

‏@Buster_ESPN

Chris Davis contract structure: $17m annual salary 2016-2022. Annual payments $3.5m 2023-32, then $1.4m 2033-37. No interest on deferrals.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 08:59 AM)
excellent explanation, now i kinda of feel stupid.

so in essence is is 42 mil spread out over 8 yrs, since the first 7 are deferred.

Tony's post pretty much sums it up. The deferred 42M is spread out from 2023-2037. Those yearly payments are chump change.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:43 PM)
So you are saying that basically accepting the Orioles first offer good negotiating. Usually the agents get more out of the team than the first offer.

You seem fixated on the lack of significantly gaining more $$ in the deal Davis signed, which is fine in a vacuum. That is not my point. The fact that he got a contract technically bigger the the initial offer, after his market looked to crater, I can't see that as a loss. I doubt Davis and Boras are upset with their deal.

Edited by blackmooncreeping

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
You seem fixated on the lack of significantly gaining more $$ in the deal Davis signed, which is fine in a vacuum. That is not my point. The fact that he got a contract technically bigger the the initial offer, after his market looked to crater, I can't see that as a loss. I doubt Davis and Boras are upset with their deal.

That is usually the agent's job, to negotiate a better deal than the original. I'm sure they are really happy that the Orioles offered that big deal prior to realizing there was no money for big contracts this off season. My comments were directed toward the "what a great job Boras did." He basically looked at the original offer and turned into Butthead and saying" Uh, OK." He earned a large chunk of change for really no negotiating. Davis could have agreed to their first offer with no representation and did nearly as well without paying an agent.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
That is usually the agent's job, to negotiate a better deal than the original. I'm sure they are really happy that the Orioles offered that big deal prior to realizing there was no money for big contracts this off season. My comments were directed toward the "what a great job Boras did." He basically looked at the original offer and turned into Butthead and saying" Uh, OK." He earned a large chunk of change for really no negotiating. Davis could have agreed to their first offer with no representation and did nearly as well without paying an agent.

With all due respect (because you are generally one of my must-reads here on Soxtalk), I could not disagree with you more.

Boras ... was the reason the Orioles offered Davis what they offered him originally. The O's knew who they were dealing with and likely saw no value in trading opening show salvos. In addition, the first formal "offer" was likely tendered following all sorts of informal communications outlining what Davis expected to see.

And then, following the crazy money going to good plus, but hardly superstar Hayward, we see this wacky market that nobody predicted -- pitchers, even journeymen, getting mega dollars, position players having to scratch and claw, and the top of the market position players suddenly being all but ignored.

The Orioles could have moved on from Davis at any time, they could have dropped their offer by 25% or more with this new reality, and yet, Boras did what he does -- postured, obfuscated, created technically possible but really illusory markets (see Davis as a corner OF'er), and most all NEVER, EVER caving to get the same total dollar deal that had been offered under VERY different circumstances months previously.

I think if you only focus on the agent's job being "to negotiate a better deal than the original," you erroneously give Boras and Co. no credit for that crazy original, plus you miss the subtlety of him getting anything close when in the interim there had been an almost stock market crash on position players.

And the full truth is that Boras didn't even get the original deal -- the $1M more than he got in AAV is eclipsed by the significant deferral that is very unlikely to have been part of the first incarnation of the deal.

But the Evil Prince got close. With a markedly changed market. With only one true bidder (it's amazing how Boras does that time and time again).

If you're Hosmer, Moustakas, Kris Bryant, or our very own Carlos Rodon, do you like Boras more or less than you did a month ago. To me, looking at the full situation, you have to like the guy more ... a LOT more.

I dislike virtually everything about that guy, but I have to give him his props. And if I or my son had been a top baseball talent, I wouldn't hesitate to use him -- focusing only on playing the game, letting Boras do what he does, and keeping clear from the firestorm to minimize becoming collateral damage at a personal level.

Scott Boras is the consummate hired gun.

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
With all due respect (because you are generally one of my must-reads here on Soxtalk), I could not disagree with you more.

Boras ... was the reason the Orioles offered Davis what they offered him originally. The O's knew who they were dealing with and likely saw no value in trading opening show salvos. In addition, the first formal "offer" was likely tendered following all sorts of informal communications outlining what Davis expected to see.

And then, following the crazy money going to good plus, but hardly superstar Hayward, we see this wacky market that nobody predicted -- pitchers, even journeymen, getting mega dollars, position players having to scratch and claw, and the top of the market position players suddenly being all but ignored.

The Orioles could have moved on from Davis at any time, they could have dropped their offer by 25% or more with this new reality, and yet, Boras did what he does -- postured, obfuscated, created technically possible but really illusory markets (see Davis as a corner OF'er), and most all NEVER, EVER caving to get the same total dollar deal that had been offered under VERY different circumstances months previously.

I think if you only focus on the agent's job being "to negotiate a better deal than the original," you erroneously give Boras and Co. no credit for that crazy original, plus you miss the subtlety of him getting anything close when in the interim there had been an almost stock market crash on position players.

And the full truth is that Boras didn't even get the original deal -- the $1M more than he got in AAV is eclipsed by the significant deferral that is very unlikely to have been part of the first incarnation of the deal.

But the Evil Prince got close. With a markedly changed market. With only one true bidder (it's amazing how Boras does that time and time again).

If you're Hosmer, Moustakas, Kris Bryant, or our very own Carlos Rodon, do you like Boras more or less than you did a month ago. To me, looking at the full situation, you have to like the guy more ... a LOT more.

I dislike virtually everything about that guy, but I have to give him his props. And if I or my son had been a top baseball talent, I wouldn't hesitate to use him -- focusing only on playing the game, letting Boras do what he does, and keeping clear from the firestorm to minimize becoming collateral damage at a personal level.

Scott Boras is the consummate hired gun.

It's fine to disagree. I seem to be the only one with this point of view. He is extremely good at his job. I wouldn't deny that. I just don't see it in this case.

I'm surprised all this TV money hasn't dried up. I guess people are willing to pay anything to get the premium stations. I thought advertisers had no money, however, and ad revenue was gonna dry up and even companies like ESPN were doing cost saving things.

Will this money for sports be around forever? I guess probably so.