White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
What's going on with Alexei Bell and Yadiel Hernandez? Will either be available before the season? Could be worth taking a look see.

Well we will see if the Sox have any intentions of spending money when some of the big boys are out of it. It'll be like the free agent class this year .And we know how that went. The Sox have never shown any indication of going over the allotment for the high end talent. I don't expect that to change. The Sox just do not outbid teams for the best talent available on any level. Abreu fell in their lap basically and they probably hoped the same thing would happen with any of the big 3 but hoping most of the 29 other teams disappear is no way of doing business.

I know the Sox have hired different personnel lately for some of these things but I'm pretty convinced they will have to work within budgetary constraints and do the best they can within that framework.

Reinsdorf has always benefited and maximized profits by just playing by the rules whereas other teams exploit the loopholes. He's always been a good boy with his buddy Bud Selig because bucking the system made trouble for the commish but mostly because it fit his agenda for limiting spending.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 04:22 AM)
Well we will see if the Sox have any intentions of spending money when some of the big boys are out of it. It'll be like the free agent class this year .And we know how that went. The Sox have never shown any indication of going over the allotment for the high end talent. I don't expect that to change. The Sox just do not outbid teams for the best talent available on any level. Abreu fell in their lap basically and they probably hoped the same thing would happen with any of the big 3 but hoping most of the 29 other teams disappear is no way of doing business.

I know the Sox have hired different personnel lately for some of these things but I'm pretty convinced they will have to work within budgetary constraints and do the best they can within that framework.

Reinsdorf has always benefited and maximized profits by just playing by the rules whereas other teams exploit the loopholes. He's always been a good boy with his buddy Bud Selig because bucking the system made trouble for the commish but mostly because it fit his agenda for limiting spending.

JR has always played by the rulss because he has been advocate for cost control and salary caps. He has been on tne committees which developed the rules such as drafted slotting. Agree or diagree with that process but how would be perceived by the other owners if the people who created the rules ignored them? There probably would be no further attempts on spending control by the owners.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 05:22 AM)

It is just so nice to hear how Jerry Reinsdorf has managed to make himself and his investors happy over the years through his ability to "maximize profits", and to make Bud Selig happy by quote unquote playing by the rules. Meanwhile, with a terrible record of achievement over the years on the field, he has left the fan base most unhappy, as evidenced by the team's most recent attendance figures and TV ratings.

And yet you can take it to the bank that at some point over next weekend at Soxfest, both Hahn and Williams will remind you of Jerry Reinsdorf's "competitive spirit" and "commitment to bring home another championship". Should sound familiar, they say the same thing every year. Reconciling the words with the results, though, gives you an entirely different answer.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
It is just so nice to hear how Jerry Reinsdorf has managed to make himself and his investors happy over the years through his ability to "maximize profits", and to make Bud Selig happy by quote unquote playing by the rules. Meanwhile, with a terrible record of achievement over the years on the field, he has left the fan base most unhappy, as evidenced by the team's most recent attendance figures and TV ratings.

And yet you can take it to the bank that at some point over next weekend at Soxfest, both Hahn and Williams will remind you of Jerry Reinsdorf's "competitive spirit" and "commitment to bring home another championship". Should sound familiar, they say the same thing every year. Reconciling the words with the results, though, gives you an entirely different answer.

The day someone can prove that he is maximizing profits as opposed to putting back into the team is the day that any of this non-sensical complaining makes.

You say you think he is cheap and doesn't care about winning. You can say he alienates fans with his attitude. But its all opinonand not proof. Odds are its somewhere in the middle. Its a business they are allowed to make a profit for the board of investors.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 06:55 PM)
What's going on with Alexei Bell and Yadiel Hernandez? Will either be available before the season? Could be worth taking a look see.

I would honestly rather take a chance on Hernandez than sign someone like Fowler or Desmond. He checks almost all the boxes: corner outfielder, left-handed, high OBP. Only thing is he's not much of a power guy. Still, I think he could have a big impact and he's only 27. Any idea what kind of contract he'd command?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)
Just a reminder of Desmond's Career Inter League Stats, in 428 Plate Appearances:

AVG OBP SLG OPS

.220 .268 .379 .647

Not very impressive.

Nice find.

Ewwwww.

:angry:

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
JR has always played by the rulss because he has been advocate for cost control and salary caps. He has been on tne committees which developed the rules such as drafted slotting. Agree or diagree with that process but how would be perceived by the other owners if the people who created the rules ignored them? There probably would be no further attempts on spending control by the owners.

excellent point ..... but shouldn't there be a expiration date with those believes???

edit.... however, lets not deny that the sox are not operating near to running in the red....

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
The day someone can prove that he is maximizing profits as opposed to putting back into the team is the day that any of this non-sensical complaining makes.

You say you think he is cheap and doesn't care about winning. You can say he alienates fans with his attitude. But its all opinonand not proof. Odds are its somewhere in the middle. Its a business they are allowed to make a profit for the board of investors.

this is far from being proof, but every yr, according to forbes, and esp their own where they mention they made some profit, the budget for the team salary is still being constant. even after the tv deal is announce, by default they should have made a little more income, yet the salary is still sitting near the constant numbers.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 06:47 PM)
Just a reminder of Desmond's Career Inter League Stats, in 428 Plate Appearances:

AVG OBP SLG OPS

.220 .268 .379 .647

Not very impressive.

Well this is Fraziers inter league stats in 298 PA

Sox still thought something more of him

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
this is some what interesting......

http://www.southsidesox.com/2016/1/23/1081...ns-undetermined

what i also found very interesting is a snippet near the end of talks of a NL dh......

That article is not being fair at all to the Sox. Gordon wanted to stay in KC, Cespedes wanted to stay in NY, Upton didn't want to play for the Sox and the Sox had no chance at Heyward with his roughly 200M price tag. The Cards and Nat's are rumored to have offered more than the cubs but Heyward chose the cubs. What else could the Sox have done, lol?

The problem is not that the Sox were unable to sign one of those four outfielders, the problem is that Sox fans assumed that the Sox would sign one of those outfielders. Bad assumption.

I usually enjoy Margalus' writings but the whiny undertone in the article is a bit much. I understand the frustration but fans need to keep their expectations in perspective too.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)

Of course it's my opinion. What else am I supposed to think. Lots of teams go way over budget and accept the penalties for doing that because they want the talent Why is it Reinsdorf HAS to play by the rules when quite a few don't ? The proof is in the pudding. One of 3 teams not to have ever signed a player over $70M ' check. Never has gone over international signing pool money , check .

Sure he's allowed to make a profit because that's the goal of any business even though sports teams are somewhat different animal. If you or them want to stop the complaining then do something the fans can get behind.His loyal henchmen failures to recognize impact positional talent on the minor or major league level is killing every supposed plan they make up . The long run of failure especially in the minors couldn't just be bad luck. The fact is for a long time Reinsdorf didn't want to put much money into the minor leagues. I haven't seen it change too much now that we have an international pool also.

When the Sox manage to get into the playoffs 2 years in a row under Reinsdorf's Rule it'll be the first time ever in Sox history. I know the failures before him have nothing to do with him but great we got 1 World Series win during his reign but all this sustained success BS talk has flys buzzing around it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
That article is not being fair at all to the Sox. Gordon wanted to stay in KC, Cespedes wanted to stay in NY, Upton didn't want to play for the Sox and the Sox had no chance at Heyward with his roughly 200M price tag. The Cards and Nat's are rumored to have offered more than the cubs but Heyward chose the cubs. What else could the Sox have done, lol?

The problem is not that the Sox were unable to sign one of those four outfielders, the problem is that Sox fans assumed that the Sox would sign one of those outfielders. Bad assumption.

I usually enjoy Margalus' writings but the whiny undertone in the article is a bit much. I understand the frustration but fans need to keep their expectations in perspective too.

I didn't expect the Sox to sign any of them because well its the Sox. But when you start hearing the Sox connected to all 3 of them at some point you start to want to believe . You want to gladly eat your own words of doom and gloominess. Hey maybe the Sox will surprise me for once. Even the national guys like Rosenthal held onto the belief that the Sox would get one of the 3 for a long time. Then at the end he ( Margalus) takes a jab at the Sox inability to find position talent by saying "hey if we hear the Sox didn't like them then that makes me like them." And it is a well deserved jab.

The fans have to keep their expectation low because we know the Sox don't operate like a big city team but a small market team ? That's cool but have fun getting anyone into the ballpark then.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
Of course it's my opinion. What else am I supposed to think. Lots of teams go way over budget and accept the penalties for doing that because they want the talent Why is it Reinsdorf HAS to play by the rules when quite a few don't ? The proof is in the pudding. One of 3 teams not to have ever signed a player over $70M check. Never has gone over international signing pool money check . Sure he's allowed to make a profit because that's the goal of any business even though sports teams are somewhat different animal. If you or them want to stop the complaining then do something the fans can get behind.His loyal henchmen failures to recognize impact positional talent on the minor or major league level is killing every supposed plan they make up . The long run of failure especially in the minors couldn't just be bad luck.

When the Sox manage to get into the playoffs 2 years in a row under Reinsdorf's Rule it'll be the first time ever in Sox history. I know the failures before him have nothing to do with him but great we got 1 World Series win during his reign but all this sustained success BS talk has flys buzzing around it.

Its fine to have the opinion but my response was more to the other post that said "its good to hear that he is doing this".

JR does not have to do this nut its his philosophy for the good of baseball. He believes that they should have rules to keep baseball from being the league where the most money wins most of the time. There are individual exception like the sox and royals. He does this more for the game than for being buddies with Selig.

I don't think he really cares if the fans complain about the actual contracts. They are going to build a team within the confives of the rules. I dont know for sure but he has stated repeatedly that they put most of the profits into the team. I don't doubt that they keep some but I don't think they maximize profits either.

Your right they havent done well with positional players from the minors. But I see a difference in the organization since RH took over. Whether that is just him or the whole organizarion is changing is debatable as KW always said at the beginning of each off season he would present JR with multiple scenarios, including a total rebuild.

I see progress ans im willing to see it play out.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
I didn't expect the Sox to sign any of them because well its the Sox. But when you start hearing the Sox connected to all 3 of them at some point you start to want to believe . You want to gladly eat your own doom and gloominess. Hey maybe the Sox will surprise me for once. Even the national guys like Rosenthal held onto the belief that the Sox would get one of the 3 for a long time. Then at the end he ( Margalus) takes a jab at the Sox inability to find position talent by saying "hey if we hear the Sox didn't like them then that makes me like them." And it is a well deserved jab.

The fans have to keep their expectation low because we know the Sox don't operate like a big city team but a small market team ? That's cool but have fun getting anyone into the ballpark then.

Guess I just really never did buy into the hype of the Sox landing one of those top four, though I did have some hope and discussing the possibilities helped to pass the time this off season. There were a number of factors working against the idea of the Sox signing one of them. 1) last years spending spree 2) low '15 attendance 3) a few un-tradable contracts 4) the variables like player contract demands, escalated salary and for a few their desire to stay with their former team. IMHO, the stars just didn't line up like they did last winter.

Still yet, the off season isn't over so I'll reserve judgment and pessimism until we see what the FO comes up with between now and ST. If the Sox end up not making another move it will be bitter/sweet for me in that I'll be very happy with the upgrades at 3B, 2B and C but I will be most unhappy nothing was done to upgrade the outfield in some fashion. With so many outfield upgrades available via trade and the 2nd tier FA market there's really no excuse for not finding SOME kind of an upgrade over Avi.

I haven't lost all hope, yet. :D

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Its fine to have the opinion but my response was more to the other post that said "its good to hear that he is doing this".

JR does not have to do this nut its his philosophy for the good of baseball. He believes that they should have rules to keep baseball from being the league where the most money wins most of the time. There are individual exception like the sox and royals. He does this more for the game than for being buddies with Selig.

I don't think he really cares if the fans complain about the actual contracts. They are going to build a team within the confives of the rules. I dont know for sure but he has stated repeatedly that they put most of the profits into the team. I don't doubt that they keep some but I don't think they maximize profits either.

Your right they havent done well with positional players from the minors. But I see a difference in the organization since RH took over. Whether that is just him or the whole organizarion is changing is debatable as KW always said at the beginning of each off season he would present JR with multiple scenarios, including a total rebuild.

I see progress ans im willing to see it play out.

Thad Bosley seems to be a pretty well informed poster. I wasn't quite sure what he meant when he said " it's good to hear that he is doing this". I have to think he knows a little bit of the history of Reinsdorf and Selig's relationship because there are flaws that he is usually quite adept at discussing. Yes its a hardcore opinion but not of the meathead variety at all. Which is kind of where I go from time to time. I want to be informed before I draw my conclusions. I've probably forgot more then I remember about how Reinsdorf has operated over the years. Much of the complaining is because we bemoan our own fate as Sox fans and the miserable history of the team whether it was The Black Sox or Disco Demolition or midgets, or changing the uniform so many times or the lack of ever having had any kind of sustained winning. It's not something we can change or turn on and off . The Sox might've had more position player talent if they had drawn names from a hat than they have actually trying to pick the best talent. That's how sad its become. I'll rant once in a while because its just hard to see all the failures and accept it without forming opinions .

Oh and sorry I just can't buy into the idea of Reinsdorf as the Mother Theresa of Baseball that you put forth because someone did a terrible job of making sure the rule breakers would regret breaking the rules .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
Thad Bosley seems to be a pretty well informed poster. I wasn't quite sure what he meant when he said " it's good to hear that he is doing this". I have to think he knows a little bit of the history of Reinsdorf and Selig's relationship because there are flaws that he is usually quite adept at discussing. Yes its a hardcore opinion but not of the meathead variety at all. Which is kind of where I go from time to time. I want to be informed before I draw my conclusions. I've probably forgot more then I remember about how Reinsdorf has operated over the years. Much of the complaining is because we bemoan our own fate as Sox fans and the miserable history of the team whether it was The Black Sox or Disco Demolition or midgets, or changing the uniform so many times or the lack of ever having had any kind of sustained winning. It's not something we can change or turn on and off . The Sox might've had more position player talent if they had drawn names from a hat than they have actually trying to pick the best talent. That's how sad its become. I'll rant once in a while because its just hard to see all the failures and accept it without forming opinions .

Oh and sorry I just can't buy into the idea of Reinsdorf as the Mother Theresa of Baseball that you put forth because someone did a terrible job of making sure the rule breakers would regret breaking the rules .

Mother Teresa no. But he is a life long baseball fan and wants to see the game progress. I don't think anyone would want to go back to the days when the yakees always won and would use the kc a's as a farm team. Its his view that baseball should try to keep budgets competitive and thats his way. Im not saying that I necessarily agree with the methods but im not part of the internal politics of mlb owners either.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
this is some what interesting......

http://www.southsidesox.com/2016/1/23/1081...ns-undetermined

what i also found very interesting is a snippet near the end of talks of a NL dh......

And then there was Cespedes, who I wanted to see on the Sox purely to gauge whether his ballplayer charisma could blast this team out of the era of Robin Ventura and his band of sadness merchants.

These were my thoughts, exactly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)

Me too .I was one of the few who tried to say all his inconsistency , OBP and work ethic was overblown by his less than humble nature , the backlash that always comes when discussing a polarizing player, and the fact his numbers with RISP was fantastic and OBP wasn't much of a necessity when a guy makes habit of driving in big runs. I also spoke of combining him and Abreu to form the Cuban Connection and make the Cell a big fiesta when they started really rolling. You can't buy that kind of publicity and it would draw attention to the Sox like nothing else could have.

And then there was Cespedes, who I wanted to see on the Sox purely to gauge whether his ballplayer charisma could blast this team out of the era of Robin Ventura and his band of sadness merchants.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)

i am using this post, b/c of the snippet of Cespy and media charisma...

i really thought that the sox wouldm't have signed any, as Blacksox 13 stated, the top 4 of'ers. the main reason is b/c of draft pick that the sox would have lost, but mostly b/c of the $$$ it would have cost. oops lets not forget the yrs of the salary.

i still think cespy would have been a great addition, for many of the quality skill he has, but mostly for his charisma his would bring to the south side market, but it didn't happen.

the sad thing is, this will fall on the sox owners b/c of the history they have, is it fair to still gage them on that history??? well they will need to do a lot to dispel it. lets see on monday what they have up their sleeves.

Edited by LDF