SoxFest Event Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)
I don't expect Hahn to say anything and I wasn't there. But I'd prefer to not sit through and see a Q&A session where the GM and VP are Rubio-ing some answers. It would be nice to have all of the questions answered, but I acknowledge that they probably don't have everything figured out going into the season. At least they look loads better on paper than they did last year, although it would look even better if they could take a chance on Lincecum and Jackson. But I think I'm fine with Erik Johnson and Avi Garcia going into this year as long as they get a bat for the bench not named Bonifacio or Beckham.

The expectation that somehow the White Sox are going to spill all of their inner-workings at a fan convention is silly. There is literally no reason for them to answer a lot of questions that could be asked.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)
I don't expect Hahn to say anything and I wasn't there. But I'd prefer to not sit through and see a Q&A session where the GM and VP are Rubio-ing some answers. It would be nice to have all of the questions answered, but I acknowledge that they probably don't have everything figured out going into the season. At least they look loads better on paper than they did last year, although it would look even better if they could take a chance on Lincecum and Jackson. But I think I'm fine with Erik Johnson and Avi Garcia going into this year as long as they get a bat for the bench not named Bonifacio or Beckham.

Hahn did a great job of answering the questions IMO. Also, lets keep politics out of this buddy.... No place for that here.

I'm glad that his answers were at least sufficient. Like I said, I wasn't there so I can't judge, but I remember when I used to go, I used to hate when KW would just BS answers like a true politician. I don't expect the FO to spill the beans on everything, but I would like them to at least make the interaction somewhat meaningful. I think an answer about the organization's philosophy and how it fits them over the Cubs philosophy for tearing down and rebuilding would at least have an interesting answer.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 11:08 PM)
I'm glad that his answers were at least sufficient. Like I said, I wasn't there so I can't judge, but I remember when I used to go, I used to hate when KW would just BS answers like a true politician. I don't expect the FO to spill the beans on everything, but I would like them to at least make the interaction somewhat meaningful. I think an answer about the organization's philosophy and how it fits them over the Cubs philosophy for tearing down and rebuilding would at least have an interesting answer.

He sort of answered that....but it was the "we have too good of a young core to tear it apart" so we're going to try to assemble the additional pieces to fit around that group without hamstringing ourselves financially kind of a statement.

He mentioned examples like the Pirates and Royals and how it took them decades to get back to competitiveness using that approach.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
He sort of answered that....but it was the "we have too good of a young core to tear it apart" so we're going to try to assemble the additional pieces to fit around that group without hamstringing ourselves financially kind of a statement.

He mentioned examples like the Pirates and Royals and how it took them decades to get back to competitiveness using that approach.

Good to hear, he has some solid answers then. Hopefully he can round out the 25 man roster with some pitching or a nice bat for the bench.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 12:12 AM)
Good to hear, he has some solid answers then. Hopefully he can round out the 25 man roster with some pitching or a nice bat for the bench.

What I mean is advocating for "strategic retooling" while being more careful about making big mistakes in free agency and still maintaining your top minor league pieces...kind of like tightrope walking, since there's little margin for error over the next couple of years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 01:42 AM)
What I mean is advocating for "strategic retooling" while being more careful about making big mistakes in free agency and still maintaining your top minor league pieces...kind of like tightrope walking, since there's little margin for error over the next couple of years.

That strategy sounds awfully familiar. This is a good response to people who have said that the FO doesn't have a plan.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
I'm here and wanted to boo Hawk's ass for saying that.

What do you want him to say? He's around these guys every day. You guys were criticizing the fans for booing Avi. You don't think it's worse if Hawk gets up and rips him in front of all the fans?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
What do you want him to say? He's around these guys every day. You guys were criticizing the fans for booing Avi. You don't think it's worse if Hawk gets up and rips him in front of all the fans?

Lol...he said Avi Garcia was the player he was most excited for in 2016, which is first off ridiculous and second just asking to piss off your fans. But yep, I'm suggesting Hawk should rip him. Basically the same thing.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
Lol...he said Avi Garcia was the player he was most excited for in 2016, which is first off ridiculous and second just asking to piss off your fans. But yep, I'm suggesting Hawk should rip him. Basically the same thing.

All I am saying is that it's not particularly easy for Hawk to be entirely objective in his position.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
All I am saying is that it's not particularly easy for Hawk to be entirely objective in his position.

But no one asked him a question. Hyping up Avi was his opening statement to the entire seminar. I get that Hawk, Merkin, etc. have to defend guys on the roster, but this was beyond over the top.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
Pretty chill Q&A. Robin with the jokes. New 2016 slogan: We've Got Issues.

Have to wonder tho are ppl satisfied, polite, or just apathetic, considering how much the Sox have failed in the last decade. A lot of malaise here, no vitriol.

A lot of column C

Listening to the RV/RH seminar this morning , it certainly seemed they are hoping to sign someone who has a QO attached. Hahn gave the stock answer about the team being good enough right now, but repeated several times the the true deadline was opening day. OF, IF, and pitcher are all targets. He doesn't like to name names either, but did mention a Matt Thornton reunion isn't going to happen.