SoxFest Event Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Listening to the RV/RH seminar this morning , it certainly seemed they are hoping to sign someone who has a QO attached. Hahn gave the stock answer about the team being good enough right now, but repeated several times the the true deadline was opening day. OF, IF, and pitcher are all targets. He doesn't like to name names either, but did mention a Matt Thornton reunion isn't going to happen.

I said it in another thread, but I think it's very likely they sign Desmond. Hahn made it perfectly clear that while they don't want to throw away picks, their focus is on 2016 and they'd still have a full assortment of picks if they signed a guy with a QO attached. Additionally, as you pointed out, Hahn purposely side-stepped OF questions to state they were looking at multiple spots for possible improvements. Hell, even Robin said that Saladino was the SS "at least for now". With a lot of pro Avi talk these past two days, I see a Desmond addition plus a low key OF signing. Sounds like they want some Robin to have some options, but also want to give Avi another shot in some capacity.

And Robin's LaRoche comments were very telling. If the Sox do add another OF, I think LaRoche becomes the odd man out before Avi.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)
I feel like signing Fowler now and losing the pick is panic move in my book. They struck out and had no other choice. Honestly at this point I think I'd rather just keep the top 30 pick and payroll.

I wouldn't say panic move but definitely something they may have already anticipated having to do if they missed out on big 3. There were plenty of options afterall.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 12:55 AM)
I feel like signing Fowler now and losing the pick is panic move in my book. They struck out and had no other choice. Honestly at this point I think I'd rather just keep the top 30 pick and payroll.

panic move ? i really don't think it would look as a panic move. i see the move as being an important move, loosing out on the comp pick, while it would or could hurt, it is a price of doing business.

when the pitchers and the top hitters were sign, the rest of the fa's will start to fall.

FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 58m58 minutes ago

"We're starting to add a little more depth with our position players. We're more involved in Latin America." Capra on improvements in '15

FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 44m44 minutes ago

Bell talks on how tough the catching position is to fill and how they're trying to fill it.

FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox

"He was very stiff when we got him and he's learned to loosen up." Capra on Engel

Capra sings the praises of Jordan Stephens and Adam Engel as prospects to keep an eye on in 2016.

Last tweet, Hostetler on Fulmer. "I'll never be the guy to tell him he can't start because he might punch me in the face."

"I've never seen a kid that I would want to marry my daughter off the field and want him to pitch game 7 of the World Series on the field."

"I still believe in back to back years we have gotten the best college pitcher in the draft." Hostetler

"To see what those guys are getting on the market (4th and 5th starters) it makes guys like Rodon so much more valuable." - Hostetler

Nick Hostetler on 2014 draft that got Sox Rodon at No. 3: "We expected the best college pitcher since David Price to go before we picked."

"When they did take him, we were a little bit shocked. We expected the best college pitcher since David Price to go before we picked."

Hostetler on #Marlins drafting Kolek and allowing the #WhiteSox to draft Rodon.

FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 22m22 minutes ago

"Statistics matter. We look at them. We value them. We have a statistics department sending me papers that look like football playbooks." NH

FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 36m36 minutes ago

Hostetler was down in Puerto Rico to watch Lazarito last week and spoke about his "real instincts" on the field.

FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 39m39 minutes ago

Zangari - "A kid all of his teammates gravitate to."

Hostetler/Capra both really do like Zangari's bat but both barely talked about his game because they are so impressed with his makeup at 18.

Hostetler stresses how raw Zangari was as a hitter and the Sox saw him as a hitter from the start despite throwing 98 off the mound.

When Hostetler first scouted Zangari his coach was confused because Zangari has pitched the day before.

Hostetler deflects credit to Mike Shirley for getting the #WhiteSox drafting Zangari and Trey Michalczewski.

"This was a really good sign for us. He's a tremendous human being who really knows how to play baseball at 18." Capra on Corey Zangari

If Stephens is really that talented, and we typically hear this fluff from Bell but this time more open to listening to Hostetler/Capra, that's going to be huge for the system.

Seems the knock on him from scouts is his relatively slight size and concerns about how long it will take for his sharp curve to return after surgery.

The 2 other things that stood out to me today were Buddy Bell saying the Latin players don't play games anymore. They just train for showcases so when they get signed, they basically have to be taught just about everything. That a quick fix from Latin America are few and far between.

And E.Johnson seems to have developed a routine in which he has great confidence. Whether that actually works, we will have to see, but if he thinks it does, there is at least a chance.

And a bonus, Wimpy and Kitty are two of the coolest guys around.

QUOTE (Louis Penna @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
Lawrie posted a video earlier that he couldn't make it because he has a lot of family in town and he just recently got married. Not sure about Rodon though.

Welcome aboard, Louie!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
The 2 other things that stood out to me today were Buddy Bell saying the Latin players don't play games anymore. They just train for showcases so when they get signed, they basically have to be taught just about everything. That a quick fix from Latin America are few and far between.

And E.Johnson seems to have developed a routine in which he has great confidence. Whether that actually works, we will have to see, but if he thinks it does, there is at least a chance.

And a bonus, Wimpy and Kitty are two of the coolest guys around.

That statement from EJ about routine is something he's been saying to everyone who interviews him for about a year. It's become his focus. He's a very intense guy, to where it's hard to get him to loosen up. Which is great for focus, but I worry he's wound too tight and might crack. Just my personal view.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
What do you want him to say? He's around these guys every day. You guys were criticizing the fans for booing Avi. You don't think it's worse if Hawk gets up and rips him in front of all the fans?

To me booing Hawk for that comment is much more deserved than booing Avi. Look, I'm as down as anyone on Avi as a starting everyday outfielder (that said, I'm higher than most on him in a platoon role with LaRoche), but you have to seperate the player from the stats. Avi is the same guy who has busted his butt and put in tons of time. Whether it works out for him or doesn't, to boo him is just pathetic in my eyes (he's put in as much work as possible by all accounts, busted his butt to get back from a "season" ending injury early. Whether he'll figure it out or not, who knows, but don't boo the guy cause he's doing everything he can. The exception to my boo players rule is when a guy is a character issue (i.e., criminal or if a guy is a primma donna who doesn't put in the work and sucks).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
To me booing Hawk for that comment is much more deserved than booing Avi. Look, I'm as down as anyone on Avi as a starting everyday outfielder (that said, I'm higher than most on him in a platoon role with LaRoche), but you have to seperate the player from the stats. Avi is the same guy who has busted his butt and put in tons of time. Whether it works out for him or doesn't, to boo him is just pathetic in my eyes (he's put in as much work as possible by all accounts, busted his butt to get back from a "season" ending injury early. Whether he'll figure it out or not, who knows, but don't boo the guy cause he's doing everything he can. The exception to my boo players rule is when a guy is a character issue (i.e., criminal or if a guy is a primma donna who doesn't put in the work and sucks).

I am totally on board this train of thought.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
All I am saying is that it's not particularly easy for Hawk to be entirely objective in his position.

Hawk could have simply said, there is no one working harder than Avi this off-season or something along those lines. But I agree, he isn't objective and when you probably first hand see / hear what Avi has done from a work ethic perspective, you probably find yourself like Hawk, cheering / rooting for the guy and wanting to put out that praise.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)
Listening to the RV/RH seminar this morning , it certainly seemed they are hoping to sign someone who has a QO attached. Hahn gave the stock answer about the team being good enough right now, but repeated several times the the true deadline was opening day. OF, IF, and pitcher are all targets. He doesn't like to name names either, but did mention a Matt Thornton reunion isn't going to happen.

I agree. I come out of Soxfest (based upon the reports), excited about the fact that they clearly have there foot on the pedal and are saying all the right things. It is evident if this club was done or it was just minor retooling that was intended, you'd hear a statement like, well we are always looking to get better, but we are happy with our current team. What I see now is a much stronger statement about the fact that they aren't done. Always like what I hear about focus on cleaning things up, etc, plus even the comment about LaRoche was a strong comment to make (and sends a positive message...i.e., you want to play, your contract won't justify it).