Orioles DO NOT Sign Fowler

southsider2k5

I just want AJax so out OF defense would be much improved. I think they have enough offense as currently constructed, but you really need competition in the OF and AJax would really help as a starting CFer or defensive replacement.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)
You know I keep saying they're out of money. It's either that or there's a specific trade target they're going after.

I've been thinking for a long while now that a trade is how the Sox find their upgrade. I still cling to some hope for Jackson but am not counting on it either.

Cue the Ethier rumors!

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
There's been absolutely nothing linking the Sox to Fowler for a few weeks. This news isn't surprising. If they go into the season with this roster and fail again, Hahn better be held accountable.

If JR doesn't give him the money to sign someone or anyone who's fault is it?

Edited by Saufley

It may have nothing at all to do with money. It seems to have a lot to do with Hahn believing that Fowler isn't worth giving up a draft pick.

I know that would drive the droves of "Sox are cheap" idiots crazy. Sox don't sign a free agent and it having nothing to do with money.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

So if the Sox sign Fowler they give up their 2nd round pick? Personally that's a no brainer to me. The pick doesn't matter. He's a big big enough upgrade overall where I see no problems paying him 2/25 or hell, even 3/32.

Unlike Jackson, Fowler is a "young" 29 and doesn't rely as much on his athleticism to produce.

I'd 100% be on board with Fowler even with a slight over pay.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 08:06 PM)
It may have nothing at all to do with money. It seems to have a lot to do with Hahn believing that Fowler isn't worth giving up a draft pick.

I know that would drive the droves of "Sox are cheap" idiots crazy. Sox don't sign a free agent and it having nothing to do with money.

If the Sox don't sign Fowler or Jackson I don't care. After the trade for Frazier I was expecting bigger things to happen. My mistake.

As Fathom said maybe our targeted OF will come via the trade route. Or maybe we are done making moves. If so, we'll have more to b**** about.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 03:20 AM)
If the Sox don't sign Fowler or Jackson I don't care. After the trade for Frazier I was expecting bigger things to happen. My mistake.

The Sox and their "no comment" stance on rumors didn't do them a lot of favors this offseason. It seems agents definitely used them as leverage.

I'm in the same boat. After the Frazier trade I started getting interested in baseball/chisox again for the first time in over 4 years or so (even brought me back to these boards :D). I was/still am expecting some more upgrades to fix the glaring hole(s). Obviously the OF hole is a must. SS/DH would be nice too, but I don't think they as big as problems as that OF spot. There are so many options out there that it is frustrating for me. Fowler, Jackson, various trade routes, all of the other OF's we have seen go before us. Desmond sitting out there.

I will say, regardless of anything, it has been a great offseason tho for the Chisox. Frazier trade was fantastic, Latos signing was great, Lawrie trade was solid. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for a few more weeks to finish the masterpiece off :D.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 08:04 PM)

If JR didn't give Hahn enough budget to build a winner, then he should have gone in a different direction like taking advantage of the insane prices for pitchers and sold on Quintana and/or Sale. Not adding another OF means we clearly half-assed it once again which is simply unacceptable IMO.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 08:14 PM)
So if the Sox sign Fowler they give up their 2nd round pick? Personally that's a no brainer to me. The pick doesn't matter. He's a big big enough upgrade overall where I see no problems paying him 2/25 or hell, even 3/32.

Unlike Jackson, Fowler is a "young" 29 and doesn't rely as much on his athleticism to produce.

I'd 100% be on board with Fowler even with a slight over pay.

Sox would forfeit their comp pick for shark. Would keep first pick and second round. Sox comp pick is like 27 ish

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)
I'm in the same boat. After the Frazier trade I started getting interested in baseball/chisox again for the first time in over 4 years or so (even brought me back to these boards :D). I was/still am expecting some more upgrades to fix the glaring hole(s). Obviously the OF hole is a must. SS/DH would be nice too, but I don't think they as big as problems as that OF spot. There are so many options out there that it is frustrating for me. Fowler, Jackson, various trade routes, all of the other OF's we have seen go before us. Desmond sitting out there.

I will say, regardless of anything, it has been a great offseason tho for the Chisox. Frazier trade was fantastic, Latos signing was great, Lawrie trade was solid. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for a few more weeks to finish the masterpiece off :D.

At this point, it does look like a good offseason. As many of us feel, we just don't want to see them stop short of making this team even stronger.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 08:08 PM)
Jackson put up a 2.3 fWAR last year, while Avi put up a -1.1. That's a 3.4 fWAR differential, which is beyond substantial. I also think the Safeco is a plus, as plenty of guys have turned around after leaving Seattle. As for Jackson's role on the team, he'd be our CF with Eaton moving to RF. That's a significantly better defensive alignment than Cabrera-Eaton-Garcia.

And I get you're an Avi fanboy, but there is nothing to suggest Avi will get materially better at this point in time. 1,100 career PA's and he's been worth a combined -1.9 fWAR, with no signs of improvement. We're talking about a a guy who is a horrific defender & poor base runner that also has no plate discipline. The odds of him ever hitting enough to account for his other shortcomings is incredibly small. You certaintly don't risk a legit shot at a division title over it. And I'm not even advocating dumping Avi, I'd like to see him as LaRoche's platoon partner and overall insurance policy at DH & LF.

Amen, brother.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 02:04 AM)

i have been saying, it is about the $$$$.

is a thought, what if the sox does not get anyone of worth, or get no one else, was all this just lip service??

or how bout a 1 yr and 3-5 mil kind of player????

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 02:06 AM)

draft picks or not, the point is to finish this job of fixing this team.

the statement of the owners want another WS ..... at what point is the value of that statement, unless it is about "as long as it in the the sox budget"

QUOTE (Saufley @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 02:36 AM)
At this point, it does look like a good offseason. As many of us feel, we just don't want to see them stop short of making this team even stronger.

shades of the 90's and only 1 WS title ....

the owner great legacy to the sox fans.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 07:03 AM)
Sox could have come up with that kind of money for Fowler. Clearly they didn't think he was worth giving up a pick for.

Which is fine if they have a better and/or cheaper way of improving the OF. Having said that, we're quickly running out of time with spring training about to start. Let's hope Hahn has something up his sleeve.