2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
I do have to say that while the AL is deeper, I'd much rather be in the AL playoffs than the NL playoffs. The Cubs could face DeGrom/Thor/Harvey in a 5-game series, then have the Nats with Scherzer/Strasburg/Gio. And don't forget about Bumgarner & the Giants in an even year. The Dodgers aren't as good, but I bet they add another pitcher to Kershaw.

There's no teams like that in the AL IMO. It's much tougher to make the playoffs in the AL, but fewer major land mines once you get to the random championship generator that is October baseball.

Idk, the Dodgers have Maeda tearing it up and the possibility that Urias is up pretty soon. The Nats could potentially have Giolito up in September as well, that rotation would be downright scary. I think the Nats and Mets are basically their only competition this year in the NL.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
The Pirates are 2nd in the NL in offense behind the Cubs and came in as the #1 offense in the NL. They just ran into a great Cubs team.

Also have played 6 games at Colorado/Arizona and had 6 games vs the Reds. The Tigers beat up the Pirates also.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ May 4, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
How bad would it be for cubs fans to make it to the series only to be swept by the White Sox? Lol

If this happened, I think it would go seven, with Sale and Q each winning two games.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 4, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
If this happened, I think it would go seven, with Sale and Q each winning two games.

I was thinking of a hypothetical Sox-Cubs world series matchup while sitting out at the game last night. Would you stagger Sale and Q after Arrieta or would you start Sale vs. Arrieta? I think there is some sense in throwing, say, Rodon game 1 then having Sale vs. Lester game 2 and Q vs. Lackey game 3.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 4, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
I was thinking of a hypothetical Sox-Cubs world series matchup while sitting out at the game last night. Would you stagger Sale and Q after Arrieta or would you start Sale vs. Arrieta? I think there is some sense in throwing, say, Rodon game 1 then having Sale vs. Lester game 2 and Q vs. Lackey game 3.

Depends on who has home field. If it's at the Cell, I'm throwing Sale. In the NL, Rodon.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
Cubs pitching is insane.

Teams have also had just amazingly horrible at bats against them with chances to score recently. The Pirates were like actively taking strikes and swinging at balls whenever they had runners on in the last series.

Barring an injury to a key pitcher or something, it is hard not seeing them getting to the WS and then possibly winning it. It seems like EVERYTHING is just kind of going their way. Over a 162 game season, you would think they would have some "downs," but who knows? Hell, it even seems like every "challenge" goes their way, it really does. Pretty amazing, really. And as I write this, old man Zobrist with a two run HR to Center. See what I mean?

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ May 5, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
Barring an injury to a key pitcher or something, it is hard not seeing them getting to the WS and then possibly winning it. It seems like EVERYTHING is just kind of going their way. Over a 162 game season, you would think they would have some "downs," but who knows? Hell, it even seems like every "challenge" goes their way, it really does. Pretty amazing, really. And as I write this, old man Zobrist with a two run HR to Center. See what I mean?

Crazy for a team with such a young core, too. Ownership has to get Epstein re-signed.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ May 6, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
Crazy for a team with such a young core, too. Ownership has to get Epstein re-signed.

Yep, I hear ya. It seems as if these young guys didn't even need any "seasoning." They just came up and started kicking a$$. Just need the White Sox to get into the playoffs this year as well...and win the thing of course ;)

I personally don't watch any Cubs games, I just kind of keep up with the scores. However, what is with this Hendricks guy? How the heck does he shut a team like the Nationals down? What kind of stuff does he have? Again, I try not to watch there games...Kasper kind of makes it unbearable for me.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 6, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
The positive thing is, pretty much their whole team is due for a ton of regression. The entire pitching staff specifically.

That offense is gonna keep churning. When Fowler stops hitting, Heyward will probably start.

The pitching though...there's no way Hammel and Hendricks are gonna pitch this well. Especially not Hammel.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 6, 2016 -> 08:40 PM)
Nothing beats good pitching like the wind blowing out at Wrigley on a warm day.

Have fun against this Cubs lineup this summer. Also, Ross is amazing at those pickoff plays. You would think someone would put that in the scouting report after he's done it so much the last two years.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 6, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
That offense is gonna keep churning. When Fowler stops hitting, Heyward will probably start.

The pitching though...there's no way Hammel and Hendricks are gonna pitch this well. Especially not Hammel.

Agreed with all of this.

The Cubs are really damn good and that's ok (and expected) because the Sox are pretty good too this year. We're not in the same league as them so that's all that matters to me. I haven't seen an AL Team as good as the White Sox so far.