Sox Re-Acquire OF Jason Bourgeois

Jose Abreu

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW he is hitting over .350 in AAA. I know, it's not worth much. Regardless, I think that this acquisition is aptly emblematic of middle class values this organization was founded upon.

(had to be the first to make that reference!)

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 17, 2016 -> 12:55 AM)
Don't look now but Trayce Thompson is lighting it up for the Dodgers- 2 HR's tonight. I realize he was a key part to the Toddfather deal but really wish we could've kept him somehow.

I agree. He would have been better then Jackson IMO. Too bad there wasn't a different player we could have thrown in the deal besides Thompson

Guillen/Hoyt

Sosa/Alvarez/Fletcher for Harold Baines

Jose Contreras for Esteban Loaiza

Freddy Garcia for Reed/Olivo/Morse

Matt Thornton for Joe Borchard

Danks for McCarthy

Pods/Vizcaino for Carlos Lee and freed up money

Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter

Eaton for Hector Santiago

Gio Gonzalez and Gavin Floyd to the White Sox for Freddy Garcia

Nellie Fox from the Philadelphia A's

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 17, 2016 -> 05:05 AM)
Well that's just not accurate.

It's Extremely accurate in trades where Sox acquire an accomplished player.

It's been true since Kenny Williams started making trades and Hahn has continued the tradition of vastly overpaying, if not amped it up a notch.

Caufield's list is instructive because it shows the Sox are pretty good at making trades for players that haven't yet accomplished a lot in the majors. Why the Sox don't stick to those I have no idea except that the last 2 field staffs have had a general distaste for developing young players.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 17, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)

It's been true since Kenny Williams started making trades and Hahn has continued the tradition of vastly overpaying, if not amped it up a notch.

LMAO

Caufield's list is instructive because it shows the Sox are pretty good at making trades for players that haven't yet accomplished a lot in the majors. Why the Sox don't stick to those I have no idea except that the last 2 field staffs have had a general distaste for developing young players.

Negative

Lots of front-office apologists who refuse to look at facts, I see. Here's another fact: TWO playoff appearances in 16 years under this front office.

The list is long: Ritchie, Garcia (1/2 year rent), Swisher, Vasquez, Edwin Jackson, Samardzija, Peavy and Frazier. Only Thome could be considered a positive, but if you factor in the fact that jettisoning Frank was part of that move, it is closer to neutral.

Bourgeois is 34, has an OPS of .627 in .708 major league at bats. To use him for anything other than Charlotte filler would be beyond belief......except that this org. loves its veterans.

Heck Leury is 25 and has an OPS of .823 in Charlotte this year.

Edited by GreenSox

Caulfield's list included Freddy Garcia and Scott Podsednik, and even left off Kevin Youkilis. But it's no surprise that you're generally a fan of acquiring worse players.

Trayce and his 32% HR/FB rate are looking good though. He is a nice player, but Frazier has been worth it. The sooner you admit that, the sooner we can all move on with our lives.

Now that's just some straight up trolling my dude. I don't think the Sox have really lost a trade since 2000. Swisher, but how could they see that coming? I give Hahn/KW a pass there.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 17, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
This guy is 34, has an OPS of .627 in .708 major league at bats. To use him for anything other than Charlotte filler would be beyond belief......except that this org. loves its veterans.

You're f***ing complaining about a minor league filler move.

Leury Garcia is quite literally one of the worst hitters to play in the majors in the last thirty years.

Lots of front-office apologists who refuse to look at facts, I see. Here's another fact: TWO playoff appearances in 16 years under this front office.

The list is long: Ritchie, Garcia (1/2 year rent), Swisher, Vasquez, Edwin Jackson, Samardzija, Peavy and Frazier. Only Thome could be considered a positive, but if you factor in the fact that jettisoning Frank was part of that move, it is closer to neutral.

Bourgeois is 34, has an OPS of .627 in .708 major league at bats. To use him for anything other than Charlotte filler would be beyond belief......except that this org. loves its veterans.

Do you find a way to b**** about literally everything?

Like I've said before, your ideal MLB team would consist of 25 20-25 year old players making the minimum. It makes no sense.

Look at the Phillies. Their roster is pretty similar to that (sans Howard). Are they a quality MLB team? No.

Ritche: Oh no! We lost...Kip Wells?

Loaiza: Steal for Kenny.

Garcia: Lost nothing of consequence, re-signed him after he was with the team (thus, not a rental) and helped win the World Series. Strong win.

Swisher: Definite loss both times. No arguing there.

Thome: Huge win.

Vazquez: Three very good seasons with the team (fWAR of 4.7, 4.8, 4.7) and was acquired as a fifth starter. Chris Young had one season of similar value, five years later.

Jackson: Hudson's arm fell off and Holmberg is back in Birmingham. Jackson pitched well for the Sox, 4.7 fWAR in a year with the team.

Peavy: Gave up essentially nothing for him. Turned into Avi, Lawrie and Frazier on the current roster.

Lawrie: Gave up a AAA bullpen arm and a possible future fifth starter for a major component to the team winning right now.

Frazier: Who piece of the current team and reason why they're winning.

Youkilis: Gave up the Stealth Elf and almost made the playoffs.

Liriano: Very similar to Youkilis.

Samardzjia: Yeah, that one is bad right now but we'll have to see how far Semien's glove can go and who the Sox draft with their second 1st rounder this year.

Now let's look at a few others just for funsies.

Carlos Lee was highway robbery for Podsednik in return.

Gavin Floyd and Gio was a steal for Freddy (you can be mad for the Phillies, he only won one game with them)

Danks for BMac was a great deal.

We didn't lose the Freddy Garcia (original trade) because it led to a World Series (along with the contract extension).

Oh, I forgot Garland for Karchner, that was a classic.

It's easy to list all the bad trades:

Ritchie for Wells/Fogg/Lowe

Billy Koch (although eventually Cotts paid off)

Durham for Adkins (and no draft pick comp)

Swisher (both)

Javy Vazquez (both weren't great)

Edwin Jackson (to Toronto)

Carl Everett for Majewski and Rauch (although he was World Series-winning DH most of two years)

Edwin Jackson for Daniel Hudson

Also forgot about Matt Guerrier for Damaso Marte...Marte was the best LH reliever in the majors (arguably, at least top 2-3) for three seasons then started to fall apart in 2005.

Here's the thing GreenSox. Look who we've replaced in the past couple of seasons....DeAza/Viciedo/Ramirez/Gillaspie/Flowers/Beckham, not seeing many "losses" there.

Because of budgetary constraints, we added a bunch of "proven" but flawed veterans, which has gotten us to first place for most of the first six weeks of the season. We've also discarded John Danks. I can't realistically see what we could have done differently. It's easy to say sign Fowler, Jordan Zimmerman, Maeda, Trumbo....even Ian Desmond, but it's all after the fact.

We have to remember that Dave Roberts is playing Thompson every day, he's benefiting from the most favorable possible pitching match-ups. Unless they're going to bench Puig or Crawford, he can't play every day.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
We didn't lose the Freddy Garcia (original trade) because it led to a World Series (along with the contract extension).

Oh, I forgot Garland for Karchner, that was a classic.

It's easy to list all the bad trades:

Ritchie for Wells/Fogg/Lowe

Billy Koch (although eventually Cotts paid off)

Durham for Adkins (and no draft pick comp)

Swisher (both)

Javy Vazquez (both weren't great)

Edwin Jackson (to Toronto)

Carl Everett for Majewski and Rauch (although he was World Series-winning DH most of two years)

Edwin Jackson for Daniel Hudson

Also forgot about Matt Guerrier for Damaso Marte...Marte was the best LH reliever in the majors (arguably, at least top 2-3) for three seasons then started to fall apart in 2005.

Here's the thing GreenSox. Look who we've replaced in the past couple of seasons....DeAza/Viciedo/Ramirez/Gillaspie/Flowers/Beckham, not seeing many "losses" there.

Because of budgetary constraints, we added a bunch of "proven" but flawed veterans, which has gotten us to first place for most of the first six weeks of the season. We've also discarded John Danks. I can't realistically see what we could have done differently. It's easy to say sign Fowler, Jordan Zimmerman, Maeda, Trumbo....even Ian Desmond, but it's all after the fact.

We have to remember that Dave Roberts is playing Thompson every day, he's benefiting from the most favorable possible pitching match-ups. Unless they're going to bench Puig or Crawford, he can't play every day.

Somehow I don't think these are the recommendations GreenSox would make.